Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I want to try using Apple Mail and see if it is good for me. When you use IMAP, do you your messages stay synced? For example I check my mail in Mail (lol) and my messages get downloaded to my computer. Now when I click on a mail and read it, the email gets flagged as read on Mail and on the eai server like on gmail. When I delete a message, it gets deleted form Mail and from gmail as well. Basically I use Apple Mail to manipulate my gmail acount.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Using IMAP, there is a copy of everything on the server and a copy locally on any machine. When you delete a message locally, it also goes into the trash on the server. When you connect with a machine that has not been online for awhile, it reads what is on the server and syncs with that.

In short, you are always in sync with the server on any machine that is connected, and yet you have your email locally. I find it to be ideal.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Cool. I think its ideal too!

I also like Apple Mail's interfae a bit more than gmail's.

But no I want to know which free IMAP email services are there and they should be close to gmail's service. Not an obscure service.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
With IMAP can I storemessages on my HDD as well? So that if I am offline, I can still view the messages and make changes and when I go online it automatically syncs again?

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Can you please suggest some good IMAP email services. Free, large space and well known like gmail.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
It ain't free, but SpamArrest offers IMAP boxes, and challenge/response. I've been using their challenge/response system for over a years now, via POP3, and love it.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
AOL charges money for IMAP? So there are no free well known IMAP services?

I think he means Spamarrest. AOL is free. Whether or not they have IMAP as part of their email is not clear from their homepage but I have read that they do. Surely someone here knows and will respond, or you can just sign up at AOL and see.

Ok, I have just set up an AOL mail account, and indeed IMAP is available and free.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks I will start setting up an account for myself.

Does AIM have IMAP and are AIM and AOL different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.