Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
OK, probably not the issue most are concerned with, but have there been any improvements to Notes? In ML, there's now the ability to create folders of notes, but I don't think this is viewable in iOS 5. Has that changed in iOS 6?

titan4

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
I just checked it. If you create a folder in OS X it shows up in Notes app on iOS6, but I fail to find a way to create a folder in iOS.

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Notes app useless because:

1. No way to import or export simple txt files.

2. The yellow pad is ugly. We live in 2012 and not in the 90s.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
OK, probably not the issue most are concerned with, but have there been any improvements to Notes? In ML, there's now the ability to create folders of notes, but I don't think this is viewable in iOS 5. Has that changed in iOS 6?

Folders are absolutely viewable in iOS 5.

My co-worker and I only have iOS 5.1.1 loaded on our devices, and we're using folders now (iOS 6 has never touched our devices).

Notes app useless because:

1. No way to import or export simple txt files.

2. The yellow pad is ugly. We live in 2012 and not in the 90s.

That's funny. I consider Apple's Notes the best note-taking app out there. Better than SimpleNote (functions better, no adds), and way better than Evernote (no terrible formatting issues).

I imported notes from my iPad. Slowly copying and pasting, in the Notes app. It took a while, but it was worth it.

The color? I dont' even notice it. I just notice that Notes is a GREAT, PLAIN TEXT note app.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Folders are absolutely viewable in iOS 5.

My co-worker and I only have iOS 5.1.1 loaded on our devices, and we're using folders now (iOS 6 has never touched our devices).

But the feature is rather awkwardly implemented. You cannot create, delete, nor rename folders from iOS, and you cannot move notes to different folder from iOS either. And navigation requires clicking on awkward "Accounts" button.

I consider Apple's Notes the best note-taking app out there. Better than SimpleNote (functions better, no adds), and way better than Evernote (no terrible formatting issues).

I imported notes from my iPad. Slowly copying and pasting, in the Notes app. It took a while, but it was worth it.

The color? I dont' even notice it. I just notice that Notes is a GREAT, PLAIN TEXT note app.

This is not true. Apple's Notes (both Mountain Lion and iOS) stores notes in rich text format. Although Mountain Lion offers option to remove style, formatting changes are not saved. It is for this reason why I dislike both Apple's Notes and Evernote. Nothing is truly stored in plain text, which is why I continue to use plain text note taking apps like Simplenote, iA Writer, Elements, Dropsy, etc.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks all. A couple of additional questions:

Mountain Lion supports attachments in Notes. I can drag and drop, say, a PDF file into a note just fine. Does iOS 6 support this?

Speaking of rich text, does iOS 6 support rich text formatting? On iOS 5, I can see the formatting I made on my Mac, but I can't actually make any formatting changes on the iPad/iPhone.

daveplotty

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
I wonder if there will ever me a new feature to add custom fonts rather than just the 3 that are already there.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
i agree with the dude up above ^ somewhere.....

the note app is nice and i use it all the time. i prefer it over other note apps. i would like to see the ability to attach things within the note itself though, such as a picture, web page, etc.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Can notes handle photos now? It can in Mountain Lion, but has iOS been updated to match.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
i agree with the dude up above ^ somewhere.....

the note app is nice and i use it all the time. i prefer it over other note apps. i would like to see the ability to attach things within the note itself though, such as a picture, web page, etc.

Attaching should come to iOS 6 at least by the time GM is released. It would keep Notes consistent with Mountain Lion, and you can already attach things in Mail. I expect the Mountain Lion dock and Safari unified bar to come to iOS 6 as well. Apple is usually good with consistency. (And Mountain Lion is all about being consistent with iOS)

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
No, they still suck. Also, syncing is purely **** as of b4.

No custom fonts.
No highlights.
No underline highlights.
Cannot import videos or pictures.
Cannot important recorded voice from Voice Recorder & cannot record voice from inside notes.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
i'm not familiar with the ML dock. what is different/unique about it?

It is more of a frosted glass look.

Top: Mountain Lion
Bottom: Lion
mountain_lion_dock_.jpg

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
Can notes handle photos now? It can in Mountain Lion, but has iOS been updated to match.

Not entirely sure, I tried this and at first the image I added to the ML Notes showed in my iPhone Notes but when I opened it again the image was gone and in its place was a paper clip symbol indicating an attachment...

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I use noteshelf for work stuff, since i can draw diagrams etc (im a developer) - Notes for personal use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.