Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 4 for iOS has arrived!

At first glance, Infuse 4 may look like something you've seen before, but that is where the similarities end. We've gone deep under the hood to make significant changes in just about every area. The end result is an all-new playback core, built on modern frameworks, that take full advantage of Apple's latest hardware. Naturally, we've also added a few other goodies as well...read on for more details.

High-performance playback
Our new high-performance playback core has been optimized to work great with newer devices, including the iPad Pro. We've also fine-tuned things for speedy browsing, great battery life, and silky-smooth playback of videos with resolutions up to 4K.

infuse4-player.png

Accessibility now comes standard
Robust support for VoiceOver is now baked right into Infuse. This allows our blind or low-vision users to easily enjoy everything Infuse has to offer. All features, including browsing shares, reading movie titles/descriptions, adjusting settings, and controlling playback are available.

infuse4-voiceover.png

Custom favorite artwork
Make Infuse your own by adding custom artwork for favorites and folders. These will appear right on the home screen when opening Infuse - ensuring your folders look just as good as the videos inside them.

infuse4-favorites.png

Optimized for iPad Pro
Pro devices demand Pro apps, and we've optimized everything to look and function great on the highest resolution device in the iOS family. We've spruced a few things up for other devices as well. ;)

infuse4-ipadpro.png

Everything that's new in 4.0
  • All-new playback core, with many, many improvements and optimizations
  • Optimized for iPad Pro
  • Full VoiceOver support
  • Faster (like way faster) metadata fetching
  • Custom artwork for favorites and folders
  • 5 all-new video zoom options
  • Extra display options for subtitle font, size, and weight
  • Landscape lock for iPad
  • Extra sort order options
  • Streaming related optimizations and improvements
  • Improved default audio track selection
  • Improved playback and rendering of 4K videos
  • Improved title sorting
  • Improved reliability of AirPlay and Google Cast
  • Many subtle UI improvements
  • Many, many, many other minor improvements and fixes
Note: Infuse 4 requires iOS 8 or later.

4.0.3 for Apple TV is also out today, and includes
  • Stream audio to AirPlay speakers
  • DivX/Xvid (.avi) support
  • Additional font size/weight options for subtitles
  • Option to use edge taps to jump between chapters
  • Option to hide Recently Watched on home screen
  • 10s icon while hovering
  • Improved SMB loading times
  • Improved audio track selection logic
  • Improved Favorite edit screen
  • Improved error resilience for SMB connections
  • Improved metadata fetching
  • Adjusted title sorting
  • Updated localizations
  • Disabled false positive playback warnings
  • Various playback improvements
  • A few other minor fixes
Upgrade to Infuse 4 today...for free!
Yes, your heard that right! We're making Infuse 4 a free upgrade for all current Infuse users (v3 or later). Your current Pro features will transfer over automatically, and you can take advantage of all the new goodness v4 has to offer without paying an extra cent. And, as an added bonus, your Pro features also transfer over to Infuse 4 for the new Apple TV (and vice versa, of course).

Keep an eye out for even more exciting features coming soon.

That's all for now.

Enjoy!

Download Infuse 4
http://apps.firecore.com/infuse

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanmcv

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Is there a faster way to transfer video files to Infuse Pro ? Like by the usb cable instead of by wireless? I don't want to use iTunes sorry.

I just bought the iPhone 6s Plus 128 GB and this is going to take all day adding all my media to the phone.
[doublepost=1455345920][/doublepost]Also is it possible to have subfolders within folders ? I need this because I have a TV Show folder with a lot of different TV Shows in it. I need to create folders within TV Show folder to organize each different TV Show please. Thanks.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Is there a faster way to transfer video files to Infuse Pro ? Like by the usb cable instead of by wireless? I don't want to use iTunes sorry.

I just bought the iPhone 6s Plus 128 GB and this is going to take all day adding all my media to the phone.
[doublepost=1455345920][/doublepost]Also is it possible to have subfolders within folders ? I need this because I have a TV Show folder with a lot of different TV Shows in it. I need to create folders within TV Show folder to organize each different TV Show please. Thanks.
iTunes File Sharing will be the absolute fastest way, though this does require iTunes.
http://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/215091047-iTunes-File-Sharing

Subfolders are something we're looking at for a future update.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Infuse 4 looks excellent. I do however have a question with regards to battery life. What's the battery drain like when using chromecast (casting from iPhone)?
It runs pretty efficiently, and since Infuse allows for Casting in the background (or while the device is locked) your battery will be preserved as much as possible.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
After upgrading to version 4 (free) I lost the ability to play any of my .avi movies. I was able to play them with no issues in version 3. Was something changed? I get the pop up to upgrade to the paid version any time I try to play an .avi movie now :(

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
After upgrading to version 4 (free) I lost the ability to play any of my .avi movies. I was able to play them with no issues in version 3. Was something changed? I get the pop up to upgrade to the paid version any time I try to play an .avi movie now :(
Some video types (including some AVIs) require Pro. Unfortunately there's no way around that. Sorry. :(

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
It runs pretty efficiently, and since Infuse allows for Casting in the background (or while the device is locked) your battery will be preserved as much as possible.

Have you guys tried the first gen chromecast with 1080p content? How well does it run? Not sure if I need the second gen for it.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
go for pro its totally worth it! :) Guys in Firecore are doing an excellent job with updating their app! Thanks for the app!

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Have you guys tried the first gen chromecast with 1080p content? How well does it run? Not sure if I need the second gen for it.
The official Chromecast specs list the following, though even the 2nd gen may still struggle with high-bitrate 1080p.
  • H.264 High Profile Level 4.1 (the processor can decode up to 720/60 or 1080/30)
go for pro its totally worth it! :) Guys in Firecore are doing an excellent job with updating their app! Thanks for the app!
Thanks! So glad to hear you're enjoying it! :)

ssahnan

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I would like to request iOS 9 split screen and pip support. iOS 9 been out a while now, would have thought this would have made it in by now. New iPad pro owner, would absolutely love this feature.

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
I would like to request iOS 9 split screen and pip support. iOS 9 been out a while now, would have thought this would have made it in by now. New iPad pro owner, would absolutely love this feature.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Both are things we hope to have available in a future version. Stay tuned. ;)

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Is there a recommended way to setup infuse for a current plex user? I'm looking for something that doesn't have heavy server requirements and this sounds good.

And does infuse have an equivalent of 'on deck' where it'll surface the next episode of the last few shows you've been watching?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Is there a recommended way to setup infuse for a current plex user? I'm looking for something that doesn't have heavy server requirements and this sounds good.

And does infuse have an equivalent of 'on deck' where it'll surface the next episode of the last few shows you've been watching?
Infuse allows for streaming from Plex, or you can just point it at the files on your Mac, PC or NAS to stream directly (no Plex required). A bit more info on doing this can be found here. https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/215090977-Streaming-From-Other-Devices

Also, a number of handy browsing options (categories, recently watched, in progress, etc...) are in the works for an upcoming version. Keep an eye out for updates.

Reactions: mrklaw

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Ok some follow up questions - just starting out

for movies:
1) is there any way to get infuse to ignore multiple videos in the same folder? Eg if I have a trailer and movie it just shows me a folder icon and then two movie thumbnails inside it. I'd like to be able to ideally mark files as 'ignore this' or 'this is the main movie'. But at least it should push the poster art up a level to the folder?

This also happens if you have a movie split into two parts, or if I have two versions of the movie at different resolutions/sizes - eg I have a bunch of disney bluray rips at full size, and also smaller for putting on ipads for the kids.

2) For some movies, I have a folder for extra material - eg Alien bluray has a making of, which I put in the movie folder. So its like this
Alien (1979)/
- alien.mkv
behind the scenes/
- making of.mkv

In this situation, infuse also just shows a generic folder and no movie artwork, even though the folder only has one video in it - I guess because there is a folder in there too. This I can't easily change because this is the file structure recommended by plex for handling movie extras.

3) Similarly some movies are full bluray rips with BMVD/stream folders etc but only one movie inside all of that.

The folders are also frustrating because they're sorted separately - you get the folders in A-Z order, then you get your 'movie ticket' artwork also sorted A-Z. So you can't see all your stuff in one place.

All of these would be fixed if there was a way to set the movie art for a folder somehow, and have it sorted along with the other content properly.

For TV:
It doesn't seem to update the folder with the TV show art unless I manually go in and see the listing of the files - then it shows all the episodes in a flat list, works out that they're actually in seasons and pops up season artwork - then when I go back it has created the artwork properly. I'd rather not have to do that with all my TV shows just to get them to show up nicely.

Lastly - any option or plan to back up metadata eg to iCloud? I'm often flicking between my iPhone and a couple of iPads so it would be convenient for me to just make edits/changes in one place and let that setup be downloaded to my other devices

Last edited:

firecore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
Ok some follow up questions - just starting out

for movies:
1) is there any way to get infuse to ignore multiple videos in the same folder? Eg if I have a trailer and movie it just shows me a folder icon and then two movie thumbnails inside it. I'd like to be able to ideally mark files as 'ignore this' or 'this is the main movie'. But at least it should push the poster art up a level to the folder?

This also happens if you have a movie split into two parts, or if I have two versions of the movie at different resolutions/sizes - eg I have a bunch of disney bluray rips at full size, and also smaller for putting on ipads for the kids.

2) For some movies, I have a folder for extra material - eg Alien bluray has a making of, which I put in the movie folder. So its like this
Alien (1979)/
- alien.mkv
behind the scenes/
- making of.mkv

In this situation, infuse also just shows a generic folder and no movie artwork, even though the folder only has one video in it - I guess because there is a folder in there too. This I can't easily change because this is the file structure recommended by plex for handling movie extras.
Thanks for the feedback. We're looking into ways to improve this for a future version.

3) Similarly some movies are full bluray rips with BMVD/stream folders etc but only one movie inside all of that.

The folders are also frustrating because they're sorted separately - you get the folders in A-Z order, then you get your 'movie ticket' artwork also sorted A-Z. So you can't see all your stuff in one place.

All of these would be fixed if there was a way to set the movie art for a folder somehow, and have it sorted along with the other content properly.
We're working on a number of improvements in this area, and cases like this should be resolved once we implement our Library View in version 4.2.

For TV:
It doesn't seem to update the folder with the TV show art unless I manually go in and see the listing of the files - then it shows all the episodes in a flat list, works out that they're actually in seasons and pops up season artwork - then when I go back it has created the artwork properly. I'd rather not have to do that with all my TV shows just to get them to show up nicely.
Deep folder scanning and indexing is in the works for the next update (4.1).

Lastly - any option or plan to back up metadata eg to iCloud? I'm often flicking between my iPhone and a couple of iPads so it would be convenient for me to just make edits/changes in one place and let that setup be downloaded to my other devices
We're hoping to add this in a future update, but it's a little ways off at this point.

Reactions: mrklaw

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I have a weird issue sometimes when wirelessly uploading a lot of videos to Infuse the upload counter will reset and go from 1 to 1.2 GB to back to 0 GB and continue to progress percent upward again.

This is with 13 video files. I know that is a lot.

What could be the issue? It doesn't happen all the time. Like for example right now it is working fine again.
[doublepost=1458591634][/doublepost]Ok nevermind spoke to soon it just did it again :(
[doublepost=1458591908][/doublepost]The percent even goes back down when it resets.
[doublepost=1458593737][/doublepost]Well it finally worked after 2 tries. The first try of transferring over 13 files (which normally works fine from what I could tell before) only 3 or 4 files transferred over. The the second time trying the rest of the 9 to 10 files transferred over.

Weird.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Second question how would I use Infuse Pro 4 on my iPhone and iPad to stream media from my iPhone to my iPad ?

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Does Infuse has DLNA/UPnP server support? Am looking for a good player that will play files from my MythTV server. Used to use nPlayer, but their UPnP server support is broken in their latest big release. VLC works but doesn't support Dolby AC3 audio.

Thanks!

One other question, how does Apple licensing Dolby Digital Plus for iOS 9.3 affect you guys? Can you use that license, or do you still need to license separately for your app?
http://www.imore.com/ios-93-brings-more-immersive-audio-dolby-digital-plus-support

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.