Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram announced today that it now has more than 600 million users, with the last 100 million of those users joining the photo and video sharing service in the past six months, a period in which it has added several new Snapchat-like features. Instagram has doubled the 300 million users it had in December 2014.

instagram-stories.jpg
A lot has changed this year, but the Instagram community and the diversity of expression it provides has remained consistent. And you now have more ways to share than ever before with Instagram Stories, live video and disappearing photos and videos in Direct. Additionally, with updated safety tools that give you more control over comments and other parts of your experience, we're working to make Instagram safer than ever for connection and self-expression.
Instagram, owned by Facebook, has morphed into a Snapchat competitor this year with the addition of "Stories" that disappear after 24 hours, a new "Events" channel, and photos and videos that disappear in direct messages. Facebook has also wittingly added Snapchat-like features to Messenger.

Update: In related news, Facebook Messenger has been updated today with another new Snapchat-like feature enabling users to customize their photos and videos with text art, filters, stickers, and more, as reported by TechCrunch.

Article Link: Instagram Has Gained 100 Million Users After Copying Snapchat

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I don't care if it has 3B users. Instgram lost its core the day it sold out to Facebook. And sold out, it did. We need more Aaron Swartz in this world—people who stand for something other than a pay check.

Reactions: viachicago22

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I love the internet and the wealth of information it brings to the world for free.

I love gadgets and the way they can improve otherwise mundane and monotonous tasks.

I still however cannot get my head around the idea that an app that allows someone to share a photo of a cat or their dinner, which then disappears later on, is so massively popular.

If a photo is worth taking and sharing so others can share in the excitement, then isn't that what why they join Facebook?

Clearly it must just be me, I get that.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
The alternative title for this article is: "99% of people in the world love bloat and crap."

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
I love the internet and the wealth of information it brings to the world for free.

I love gadgets and the way they can improve otherwise mundane and monotonous tasks.

I still however cannot get my head around the idea that an app that allows someone to share a photo of a cat or their dinner, which then disappears later on, is so massively popular.

If a photo is worth taking and sharing so others can share in the excitement, then isn't that what why they join Facebook?

Clearly it must just be me, I get that.
It's popular for a reason : it's easy to share with people without thinking about what you *leave* on the internet overmuch.

Sometimes I just want to send a picture of something I'm drinking to someone because we just talked about that the day before, or I know it's her favourite drink, etc etc.
Or I send stupid pictures of myself or friends just to show it to some people, but the picture itself won't have any meaning a few minutes/hours/days from now and thus will be a waste of space.

Point is, you share a moment with someone, and that moment is meant to be ephemeral.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I honestly do not use the features that Instagram copied from Snapchat. I do not post to my 'story.' So I generally just share images I shot with my iPhone or DSLR camera. I use Snapchat to send silly pictures/video or in the moment, like if I'm traveling.

To me, I have different uses for each app.

Reactions: viachicago22

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I don't use either app, but who really gives a crap if one copies a feature of the other? Pretty much every idea, implementation, or innovation is built on someone else's previous works. To borrow from the Bible, there's nothing new under the sun.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
They give the sheep pennies (a social app) in exchange for for gold (the sheep's private information) and the sheep are ecstatic to have something to engage their empty minds with as they wait in line to be slaughtered.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I have a white cat that looks exactly like that, but she doesn't shoot lasers out of her eyes.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They give the sheep pennies (a social app) in exchange for for gold (the sheep's private information) and the sheep are ecstatic to have something to engage their empty minds with as they wait in line to be slaughtered.
Interesting fixated fascination with sheep there.

Last edited:
Reactions: You are the One

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
And yet no one I follow uses that ****, at all. I know it's anecdotal, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's growth has nothing to do with that quick video nonsense.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Samsung has shown that this strategy works. Many people don't care who did it first or if the copycat is morrally wrong. They just care that they get the product they want.

Reactions: ErikGrim

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
It's popular for a reason : it's easy to share with people without thinking about what you *leave* on the internet overmuch.

Sometimes I just want to send a picture of something I'm drinking to someone because we just talked about that the day before, or I know it's her favourite drink, etc etc.
Or I send stupid pictures of myself or friends just to show it to some people, but the picture itself won't have any meaning a few minutes/hours/days from now and thus will be a waste of space.

Point is, you share a moment with someone, and that moment is meant to be ephemeral.
Ah I see. I use Telegram for that sort of stuff, not sure on the need to use another app in addition to that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.