Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Would it be worthwhile (and easy)to install OS X on the new 8" notebook from Sony? I love the form factor and don’t really have much hope for something coming from Apple at this size with a physical keyboard.

james-thescalie

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
There are rumors going round of a netbook from Apple coming as early as the 2nd half of this year.
Unlike using windows on a mac im pretty sure what your thinking of doing is illegal..just my understanding of it. Be cool to see though, give it a shot and keep us updated :D

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Not possible at the moment. Installing OSX on non-Apple computers is rather tricky, and drivers and such have to be made on a per unit basis.

While this MIGHT be possible in the future, it certainly is not right now without you personally writing the drivers, and considering you're looking for something that's easy, this probably isn't it.

And it is NOT illegal to do this... It breaks the EULA of Leopard to do it, but the validity of EULAs have never really been tested in the court of law, and basically all that it means is that if you install Leopard on another machine then Apple doesn't have to give you support for it.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Not possible at the moment. Installing OSX on non-Apple computers is rather tricky, and drivers and such have to be made on a per unit basis.

While this MIGHT be possible in the future, it certainly is not right now without you personally writing the drivers, and considering you're looking for something that's easy, this probably isn't it.

I guess I will have to wait for apple to break out an 8" mini-macbook with touch screen and keyboard or make do with windows 7. make do with windows sounds more realistic :(

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I guess I will have to wait for apple to break out an 8" mini-macbook with touch screen and keyboard or make do with windows 7. make do with windows sounds more realistic :(
Windows 7 seems a very promising operating system. I have been enjoying it a lot and even for its beta stage, it is crashing for me less than 10.5.6.

titancomputing

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Installing any version of OSX on non Apple hardware isn't hard necessarily, but you have to have some prepatched items or the knowledge to do it yourself.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
OK, any site describing how to instal Mac OS X on the Sony Vaio P Series? Obviously I rather buy Mac, but Apple is not going to make it.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I would totally jump on an 8" - 10" MacBook with a touchscreen. I'm just afraid that the price will be around the price of the current white MacBook. Looks like I'll just have to go with a 300$ MSI Wind and hackintosh it. I really like Windows 7 so far, so I wouldn't have problems using it, I just can't live without iWork.

omgshesaboy

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
img_0087.jpg

This is OS X 10.5.6 on my aspire one 8.9" laptop

core solo 1.6ghz
1.5gb ddr2
160gb
Dual SD card slots
web cam
WIFI
Bluetooth

I cant think of a single thing that doesnt work.. took a lot of tweeking though but it is awesome, i am using it now while my MBP is on the desk : )

omgshesaboy

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
That's the key, and any update can completely brick it.

exactly why backing up the system is the key thing to do before any update.. But after about 30 times trial and error i finally got it right and have an image ready if i need it at anytime

omgshesaboy

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
That's why you don't update until you know its safe, or are prepared to re-image incase it isn't. There haven't been any recent Leopard updates that I couldn't live with immediately.

ehh believe it or not, there are many varibles that go into.. its really tricky but as long as you take your time and make a backup image there is nothing to worry about

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
That's the key, and any update can completely brick it.
Unfortunately I have also found that to be true of real Macs, and is why I always keep a clone. I usually wait to hear from others before applying any Apple update to my Mac, because OS X doesn't have an uninstall patch process.

bigdaddyp

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
I hate Dell...

I hate Dell but the mini9 makes an excellent hacintosh and as far as installation goes its also one of the simplest. If you want to see whats involved look here. http://mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-f23.html I have had osx on here for over four months and its been rock solid and due to the nature of the install apple updates are done just like on a real mac.:D

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
The P uses an intel video card, and there arent great drivers for that yet so you would have to run it without hardware accelerated video, but on a netbook that probably isnt an issue. Idk about any of the other hardware.

If you are considering buying a netbook i would suggest you get one that already works well, like the Aspire One, or Wind.

If you already have it there is no harm in trying. Just partition your hdd and grab a copy of iPC.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I'd probably just install Windows 7. It's an excellent operating system and will be less troublesome to get running. At the moment I'm using "Hackintosh" 10.5.6 along with Win7 build 7000 on my PC while waiting for the Windows 7 release candidate before installing it on my new 1TB drive.

At this point I feel there isn't that much in OSX that I prefer over Win7. Application installation (the simplicity of it), easier system file structure, the way OSX keeps track of file locations and more coherent keyboard shortcuts are the main things that are better. Otherwise I could use either and in some cases Win7 does better than OSX, for example the new Taskbar is a lot more useful than the Dock and the file browser is also better than Finder.

I'd also wager that Win7 will run better than OSX on a netbook.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

And it is NOT illegal to do this... It breaks the EULA of Leopard to do it, but the validity of EULAs have never really been tested in the court of law, and basically all that it means is that if you install Leopard on another machine then Apple doesn't have to give you support for it.

EULA is like signing a contract with your employer. Just because you won't go to jail or be sued doesn't make it a right thing to do. It's like pirating a movie, you won't get caught but that doesn't make it right. Sorry, but your logic is way off. breaking a contract either breaks the law or breaks the law but you pay a fine/fee. Like cellular contracts.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
EULA is like signing a contract with your employer. Just because you won't go to jail or be sued doesn't make it a right thing to do. It's like pirating a movie, you won't get caught but that doesn't make it right. Sorry, but your logic is way off. breaking a contract either breaks the law or breaks the law but you pay a fine/fee. Like cellular contracts.

If you buy the retail version of Leopard though, who cares. Apple gets their $$ either way seeing how you paid for the OS disc. This situation is more like buying DVD movie at Best Buy, then ripping it to another disc for safe keeping just incase anything happens to the original. Sure, it's "illegal" under the DMCA (so is loading your iPod up with MP3/AAC compressed tracks from that CD you purchased), but you paid for it, they got their money, and you're not distributing the copied product in any way/shape/form.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you buy the retail version of Leopard though, who cares. Apple gets their $$ either way seeing how you paid for the OS disc. This situation is more like buying DVD movie at Best Buy, then ripping it to another disc for safe keeping just incase anything happens to the original. Sure, it's "illegal" under the DMCA (so is loading your iPod up with MP3/AAC compressed tracks from that CD you purchased), but you paid for it, they got their money, and you're not distributing the copied product in any way/shape/form.

The DVD analogy doesn't fit because in this case you aren't making a backup copy. You are using the product in a way that violates your agreement with the owner.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
The Sony is beautiful but the ideal Hackintosh is the Dell 9 as all the drivers and hardware play nice with OSX.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
The DVD analogy doesn't fit because in this case you aren't making a backup copy. You are using the product in a way that violates your agreement with the owner.

Yes, but in all honestly who the hell cares? i doubt anyone loses any sleep over it.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
So that makes it alright then, because you don't lose sleep over it?

Who does it hurt? You can't follow every single rule ever made and live your whole life by the book, its just ridiculous and you wont get very far. if you're going to break one law in your lifetime, let it be a EULA

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
The EULA only matters if its terms are enforceable, which is where the Psystar suit enters the picture. Until then its a 'innocent until proven guilty' free for all. And if it is illegal to install osx on a non-mac computer it will only stop about 2 people, the rest of us dont give a crap anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.