Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Although it was working before, after I installed MAMP, my default MacOS website is now throwing 500 errors. And, before this happened, the Wiki link gave a blank page.

(Don't see any helpful error messages in the apache log)

What did I do (and how do I fix it) by installing MAMP?

Thanks in advance,

-------------

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at admin@example.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
It sounds like you've got double Apache going on the same port. Ergo, the server doesn't know which instance of Apache you want and throws a 500 error.

I'm not sure if you can actually run two instances of Apache. If so, you'll need to change the listening port of one of the instances to something other than 80. Failing that, you'll have to disable one of the two — either MAMP or the built in web server.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
It sounds like you've got double Apache going on the same port. Ergo, the server doesn't know which instance of Apache you want and throws a 500 error.

I'm not sure if you can actually run two instances of Apache. If so, you'll need to change the listening port of one of the instances to something other than 80. Failing that, you'll have to disable one of the two — either MAMP or the built in web server.
You can't have two processes on the same socket. It sounds like MAMP took the port and doesn't know about the Mail functionality. A 500 error usually indicates a server-side configuration problem, but not two processes listening on the same socket.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
You can't have two processes on the same socket. It sounds like MAMP took the port and doesn't know about the Mail functionality. A 500 error usually indicates a server-side configuration problem, but not two processes listening on the same socket.

Specifically, once I change the site URL in Settings->General in WordPress, THEN the mac server's Wiki stops working immediately. Just a blank page displays. Now, at that point, it doesn't matter if I change the settings back to the way they were in WordPress. Something gets changed I can't change back.

Worse yet, if I change both site settings in Settings -> General in Wordpress (where they were both localhost), then the Mac Server's built-in website throws 500 errors from that point forward.

I tried removing WordPress and also deleting the corresponding database, and rebooting. But the mac server websites are now totally dead. 500 Errors. No idea what Wordpress/MAMP are doing behind the scenes, but it seems clear I can't use MAMP on my server like I thought I could.

Removing MAMP Pro doesn't help, either. In fact, even trying to uninstall it gives me an error.

Restoring the server (again) from a backup and then removing MAMP Pro ....

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I would suggest using the Apache server included with macOS. I don't see much benefit in having another installation.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Specifically, once I change the site URL in Settings->General in WordPress, THEN the mac server's Wiki stops working immediately. Just a blank page displays. Now, at that point, it doesn't matter if I change the settings back to the way they were in WordPress. Something gets changed I can't change back.

Worse yet, if I change both site settings in Settings -> General in Wordpress (where they were both localhost), then the Mac Server's built-in website throws 500 errors from that point forward.

I tried removing WordPress and also deleting the corresponding database, and rebooting. But the mac server websites are now totally dead. 500 Errors. No idea what Wordpress/MAMP are doing behind the scenes, but it seems clear I can't use MAMP on my server like I thought I could.

Removing MAMP Pro doesn't help, either. In fact, even trying to uninstall it gives me an error.

Restoring the server (again) from a backup and then removing MAMP Pro ....
macOS Server uses its own Apache for a lot of things even when you don't explicitly have it running. You're not going to have success trying to run MAMP on there too.
macOS Server is not a good platform if you're looking to customize a lot of functions that are already built in. You'll struggle to work around Apple's own customizations and system updates will risk losing your customization when configuration files get overwritten.

Reactions: DJLC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.