Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Comanche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2013
Loudon, TN
Howdy. Have a white MacBook (late 2007), Model #A1181. Recently upgraded the memory to 4GB, and the OS to the latest version of Snow Leopard. I have several hardware issues I want to resolve myself. I have a few questions about upgrading this relic as well.

A few days back I had a problem with the computer freezing on the boot screen. Used SafeBoot mode to update the software and resolved it. But now there is a distinct buzzing sound coming from the upper center starting on boot, around the fan. Sometimes it dies down but for the most part its constant. Wisdom says to replace the Logic Board or buy a new computer altogether. My wallet says to risk replacing the Logic Board. And I figure if I'm going to take the thing apart (AppleCare is long expired) I may as well do it right and upgrade where possible.

Long story short, I have two options I think (read on). A 2GHz and a 2.2GHz.

Now I'm not totally computer literate but I'm learning. Baby steps. My processor is a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Can I move up and install the 2.2 GHz Logic Board on this same model, and even perhaps get a faster computer? They're the same price anyway and I'd like to optimize for video editing with 720p HD video if its possible. I've had this computer since x-mas 2008 and I want to squeeze everything I can out of her. She's orphaned as far as operating systems go, but I like to believe she still has utility.

Sorry for the length of this. I'm a writer, and a rationalist as well. Bad combination (for the audience anyway).

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
As far as going from 2 to 2.2, you probably wouldn't notice much of difference if any

Last edited:

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
The buzzing sound coming from around the fan will be the fan.....

Chances are it is choked with dust after 6 years. A replacement fan will only be a few dollars.......

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
The a1181 model MacBooks are my area of expertise and if you do end up digging into it you will find that they are a breeze to work on.Just make sure you don't get a 2.1 or a 2.4 ghz model as most of the connections on the logic board are different.If you want to squeeze life out of it now and for the future I would suggest getting a PARTS laptop on ebay because you can find one with a lcd problem or no hard drive and roughed up case for the same amount or LESS than the price of a logic board.They also run 10.7 with no problems.As far as the noise it would most likely be the fan and you can get one for CHEAP a lot of them new with thermal paste already installed or you can just but a whole parts laptop as suggested and go ahead and kill two birds with one stone.(or 4 or 5)

Comanche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2013
Loudon, TN
A parts laptop. I never considered that. Gonna go for it in the future. However now I'm looking at MacBook Pros on eBay. I never really considered it until now, but they're totally affordable. Thanks for the idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.