Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleebrown93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
I noticed this morning that my alarm was extremely quiet and made me late for work. After testing it a little, I noticed that my alarm volume is basing itself off of the media volume, and not the ringer volume (like it always has). I double checked in sounds and my ringer slider it all the way up. When my media volume is down my alarm is quiet and then when I turn it all the way up it is loud. Any ideas why this is? Is this a bug with 11.2? Please help.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I just tested that out on my 7 Plus with 11.2 Beta 2.

Test 1: Music volume set just above off. Ringer on highest setting. Alarm went off at full volume.

Test 2: I set the music to full volume, and the ringer to almost off. Volume on the alarm was very low, consistent with the low ringer volume.

Conclusion: Alarm volume is controlled by ringer volume.

cleebrown93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
I just tested that out on my 7 Plus with 11.2 Beta 2.

Test 1: Music volume set just above off. Ringer on highest setting. Alarm went off at full volume.

Test 2: I set the music to full volume, and the ringer to almost off. Volume on the alarm was very low, consistent with the low ringer volume.

Conclusion: Alarm volume is controlled by ringer volume.

Mine is the complete opposite. I have tested it several different times. Any ideas on what I should do? I even turned my ringer volume all the way down and turned my media volume all the way up and it went off full volume. This is strange.

I am on the X, not sure if that would make a difference.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Maybe the X works differently.

Just as a sanity check:
Under Settings > Sounds & Haptics>Ringers and Alerts
If I have "change with buttons" on, it says "The volume of the ringer and alerts can be adjusted using the volume buttons." This clearly implies that ringer volume and alert volume are bound.

Is this the same on the X?

cleebrown93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
Maybe the X works differently.

Just as a sanity check:
Under Settings > Sounds & Haptics>Ringers and Alerts
If I have "change with buttons" on, it says "The volume of the ringer and alerts can be adjusted using the volume buttons." This clearly implies that ringer volume and alert volume are bound.

Is this the same on the X?

It is the same.

I did do a hard reset and it seems to be working normally again. Idk, that was weird.

markuslarockus

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2017
Mine is the complete opposite. I have tested it several different times. Any ideas on what I should do? I even turned my ringer volume all the way down and turned my media volume all the way up and it went off full volume. This is strange.

I am on the X, not sure if that would make a difference.

I had the same issue and this is how it is resolved:

The iPhone X and the true depth camera detects your face and thus will ensure that the screen remains lit and not dimmed, and will also dim down the volume when ringing for alarms and rings from calls. This feature is called 'Attention Aware'. I shut this off and my alarms now ring at full volume, even in front of my face while looking at the iphone. Try turning it off and testing...

Found under: settings/face ID and passcode/attention aware features.

Hope this assists.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I noticed this morning that my alarm was extremely quiet and made me late for work. After testing it a little, I noticed that my alarm volume is basing itself off of the media volume, and not the ringer volume (like it always has). I double checked in sounds and my ringer slider it all the way up. When my media volume is down my alarm is quiet and then when I turn it all the way up it is loud. Any ideas why this is? Is this a bug with 11.2? Please help.

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME THIS MORNING! Thank god I'm used to waking up an hour before I'm supposed to leave for work, I woke up by myself but still, my alarm was silent this morning, where my ringer was 75% up!

theshiver

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
Same here...

I did noticed it today. Mute swtich was ON and ringer volume was ~50% and i can't heard alarm sound, only weak vibrations.

I just hard reset my iphone 7 plus and it fixed the issue.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Same here...

I did noticed it today. Mute swtich was ON and ringer volume was ~50% and i can't heard alarm sound, only weak vibrations.

I just hard reset my iphone 7 plus and it fixed the issue.

same thing happened to me again this morning, thank god I set my alarm on my apple watch and that woke me up for work, hopefully this issue is fixed in beta 3

Reactions: Steve J0bs

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
Just happened to me!!! I did another test and it seems my alarm will only go off if the silent switch is turned off.

gadgetgirl888

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017

I had the same issue but first it went full volume when volume was set to 2 and ringer was off, which used to play only the alarm sound even tho muted. I checked settings and sure enough volume was still set to 2 so for my morning alarm, I turned the ringer on figuring it would ring at the 2 when the alarm went off, nope, still went off at full volume. I am also on the X but only had the issue after updating to beta 11.2.

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Not a beta 2 issue. I have 11.1.1 and noticed the same thing this morning. the alarm was very soft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.