Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Been monitoring the Apple Store online and all configurations of the iPad Air 2 are still shipping within 2-4 days, at least here in Canada.

Was gonna order online but I think it's safe to wait for store units.

Now, I'll be very surprised if there will be massive line-ups next week.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
There won't be lines. There weren't for the Air either. I walked right into my local Best Buy on release day and had my choice of storage and colors. Just doesn't happen with iPads like it does with phones.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
iPads hardly, if ever, sell out. The only time it happens is if there's a major supply restraint that prevents models from releasing. Apple will have plenty because there's nothing that "new" about this device.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Well, up until now there have always been lines for iPads. This is a first for Apple and it shows that sales are stagnating. On the other hand I am glad that the whole "line" thing is dying. I hope the next iPhone is released without any "lines"..

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
iPads hardly, if ever, sell out. The only time it happens is if there's a major supply restraint that prevents models from releasing. Apple will have plenty because there's nothing that "new" about this device.

... except for the fingerprint reader capability.

But that is a huge feature, at least for me on the iPhone 6. The fingerprint read capability makes using 1Password much better, and I changed from not using the PIN for screen unlock to using PIN/fingerprint screen unlock on the iPhone. Much better security in the event of lost or stolen phone.

That feature may not be quite as important on the iPad, since I don't constantly unlock the screen like I do on the iPhone.

It's not that the iPad Air 2 is not better; its that the iPad Air is already so good ...

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Good. Then if there's an issue with the preorder, we will be able to get replacements easily.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Well, up until now there have always been lines for iPads. This is a first for Apple and it shows that sales are stagnating. On the other hand I am glad that the whole "line" thing is dying. I hope the next iPhone is released without any "lines"..

No there hasn't. The past couple of years hasn't produced any lines. And Apple won't be generating lines with these awful hardware choices of theirs. Yay it's thinner! Yawn. It's also nearly double the price of Android tablets that people also love. Apple's "update" to the Mini Retina this year is an insult to fans of that device. But yeah, they're not selling out online and there wont be lines for these things.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
The last time I stood in a line for an iPad, was way back when the iPad 2 came out. I waited for about 3 hours. The iPad 3 was mailed to me and for my iPad Air, I ordered for in store pick up and just walked in.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I wouldn't look into shipping times for how "popular" the air 2 will be. Look at quarterly sales...tablets are slowing down in the market. Does that mean there is no market for the iPad Air 2? I don't think so. Plenty of people that had iPad 1 - 4 are looking for upgrades now and I think the iPad Air 2 will be fine. The trend is plateauing though.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
No there hasn't. The past couple of years hasn't produced any lines. And Apple won't be generating lines with these awful hardware choices of theirs. Yay it's thinner! Yawn. It's also nearly double the price of Android tablets that people also love. Apple's "update" to the Mini Retina this year is an insult to fans of that device. But yeah, they're not selling out online and there wont be lines for these things.

There were lines for the iPad Air. People didnt even know what Apple was selling and there was lines of scalpers. However, iPad is no iPhone so after the first few releases there was bound to be no lines. Plus the scalpers pretty much ruined the line thing. They used to buy loads of iPads only to have to bring them back later. iPad 2 was the longest line Ive ever been in. The line thing is old now and its better to pre-order.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
There will be no lines for the iPad Air 2. There was no line for the first one. I ordered mine and should have mine hopefully by Wednesday but for all others you simply go to the store walk in and buy one. My Apple store still has people lining up for the iPhone 6 plus early in the morning. I have no intentions of getting anywhere near it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.