Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
You know, theory and practical are 2 different things. Heard lots about how Samsung's screen resolution is equal to or better than iPad's. Well, I visited a friend this weekend and viewed the simple Google homepage logo side by side.

Well...

My iPad Air screen quality got a 10/10. Ok, maybe 9 :D
I would give the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2014 Edition)...6/10. Maybe 7.

I was seriously shocked at how bad the resolution was compared to the iPad Air and got me wondering, what is Samsung going on about their resolution that makes them think that their product is even on par, quality wise, with iPad's with retina display (let alone better).

I'm not an Apple fanatic. I'd like to think I'm a rational Apple fan and even I was highly disappointed with the Samsung. It's made me realise that the Apple bandwagon I've been on so far was the best decision I've made my whole life, thus far :D

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
You know, theory and practical are 2 different things. Heard lots about how Samsung's screen resolution is equal to or better than iPad's. Well, I visited a friend this weekend and viewed the simple Google homepage logo side by side.

Well...

I was seriously shocked at how bad the resolution was compared to the iPad Air and got me wondering, what is Samsung going on about their resolution that makes them think that their product is even on par, quality wise, with iPad's with retina display (let alone better).

I'm not an Apple fanatic. I'd like to think I'm a rational Apple fan and even I was highly disappointed with the Samsung. It's made me realise that the Apple bandwagon I've been on so far was the best decision I've made my whole life, thus far :D

Like to said, theory and practicality are different. I can make a 4k display with ****** color saturation.

RealRuler

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with this post. You claim to not be a fanboy, but rather someone who is a rational fan... Yet you openly admit to jumping on the so-called Apple bandwagon which, by definition, is full of fanboys.

Point is, both screens are of high quality. I have owned both tablets, but I ended up exchanging the Air for the rMini as I lacked the need/desire for two full size tablets. Both are great at what they intend to do and purchasing a full size stylus for my Note 10.1 2014 made it that much more enjoyable to use. In tandem with my rMini, I'd like to think I'm set in terms of tablets for the next year or two.

At the end of the day, use whatever device fits your needs. No need to knock something just because it fails to meet YOUR standards. And I'm not claiming to be 100% objective, but I currently have a near 50/50 split with my devices and use them all in chaotic harmony for my strenuous work in graduate school and running a business. (Galaxy S4/Galaxy Note 10.1 2014/rMini/rMBP 2013/Dell XPS 15)

P.S. I find it somewhat amusing that out of all the "measuring sticks" you could possibly use to gauge screen quality, Google's homepage is what you settled on... To each their own.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
I've been using Apple products since 2006 ;)
Don't read too much into the word bandwagon ;)

I own an iPad and a Samsung a Galaxy S3 at present. That's what you call rational i.e. I don't support a specific brand. I can tell you this much too. I prefer to watch movies off my Galaxy but prefer music played off my iPad.

I'm telling you my direct comparison placing both next to each other. And I wasn't comparing that to movies or anything. I am comparing a simple web page with nothing fancy. I did not say Samsung was crap or made inferior products. I merely stated that when placing the google home screen next to each other, the difference in quality, to me, was astonishing. I figure that of the worlds most simple website and image is probably the best way to make this comparison. No fancy videos, games or other apps. Unsure how others prefer to compare quality, but I prefer the more simple tests.

What disappointed me more was that I prefer movies on my galaxy because of the movie quality but a simple image looks blurry and distorted when viewing it side by side with an Apple iPad.

(I never could tell what retina vs AMOLED etc means until I saw this scenario side by side). I also have never and will never be faithful to any brand. Quality is subjective but I support quality over quantity/saving a few bucks! ;)

I also have an LG DVD player, a Sony TV and don't own an Apple TV. Sure you want to label me an Apple fanboy again? ;)

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I've been using Apple products since 2006 ;)
Don't read too much into the word bandwagon ;)

I own an iPad and a Samsung a Galaxy S3 at present. That's what you call rational i.e. I don't support a specific brand. I can tell you this much too. I prefer to watch movies off my Galaxy but prefer music played off my iPad.

I'm telling you my direct comparison placing both next to each other. And I wasn't comparing that to movies or anything. I am comparing a simple web page with nothing fancy. I did not say Samsung was crap or made inferior products. I merely stated that when placing the google home screen next to each other, the difference in quality, to me, was astonishing. I figure that of the worlds most simple website and image is probably the best way to make this comparison. No fancy videos, games or other apps. Unsure how others prefer to compare quality, but I prefer the more simple tests.

What disappointed me more was that I prefer movies on my galaxy because of the movie quality but a simple image looks blurry and distorted when viewing it side by side with an Apple iPad.

(I never could tell what retina vs AMOLED etc means until I saw this scenario side by side). I also have never and will never be faithful to any brand. Quality is subjective but I support quality over quantity/saving a few bucks! ;)

I also have an LG DVD player, a Sony TV and don't own an Apple TV. Sure you want to label me an Apple fanboy again? ;)

You should do a direct comparison of the iPad Air and the Galaxy Pro 10.1. That screen is gorgeous!

I've personally owned a Nexus 10 and an iPad Air. They are on par as far as screen quality/resolution!

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I've personally owned a Nexus 10 and an iPad Air. They are on par as far as screen quality/resolution!

Yea, but the OP tried a specific screen technology on one device from one Android vendor and based on that experience has realised
that the Apple bandwagon I've been on so far was the best decision I've made my whole life, thus far
:rolleyes:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Well...

So you give no specific basis of comparison (i.e. color saturation, consistency across the display, etc) and no breakdown of how you arrived at your specific grade, AND show your lack of familiarity with the two devices in question (go back and check the display resolution of both the devices you 'compared', as well as their respective pixel densities ;)), yet you expect anyone here other than blind Apple users (hate the 'f' word) to take you seriously?

And I do know what I'm talking about as I've owned every version of the iPad and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014). The display on the Note 10.1 is exceptional. I ultimately returned mine after a month but it certainly wasn't because of the display--was probably the biggest reason I held onto it as long as I did.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
No way does the Air have a superior screen. Currently, I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and I'm comparing them together, right now. The clarity of the SAMSUNG screen is better. Yes, the iPad has better (i.e.,more realistic) color saturation, but that doesn't give it a better screen. The Galaxy note 10.1 2014 has the best screen of any tablet with the possible exception being the Galaxy tab pro 8.4.

Last edited:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Yea, but the OP tried a specific screen technology on one device from one Android vendor and based on that experience has realised :rolleyes:

I thought the Galaxy 3 10.1 and Nexus 10 had the same screen? Both were made by Samsung!?

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Samsung has a much sharper display but the ipad has better contrast. The quality control on the ipad screen is better as well as the Samsung suffers from mura, this is more evident in a darker environment. In daylight, the Samsung looks better.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
The funny part is this fanboy dosnt even know wtf he is talking about.both the nexus 10 and Samsung 10.1 2014 are using LCD screens not amoled and Samsung is making the screen in the freaking iPad.

You even say retina vs amoled lmfao

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I think the Air uses display panels from either LG or Sharp. I personally love, love, love Samsung displays. :)

We all know Samsung made the best displays for apple and people would complain when there devices used ones from lg and sharp.

PS Samsung saved sharp from going under and bought there LCD tech and bow owns 3% of the company it also is the largest investor and owns more shares then anyone one else.

Samsung will end up buying sharp at some point

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
can't tell if this is a serious topic because no way can an objective person say ipad's screen is so much better...my note 12.2 display is stunning

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I understand that you may prefer the screen quality of your iPad but to say that the note 10.1 has a bad screen is not true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.