Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hurricanes305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
hey guys, this is a kind of generic question. i have an ipad 2 and am going to be usuing it in college. can anyone who currently does, please tell me what you use it for? also i hear you can get textbooks on the ipad. is there an app? how does this work?

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
isnt itunes u only for podcasts? and i cant seem to find any textbooks in ibooks :(

At the moment the dedicated Textbook section is only on the US store. The only ibooks of this type are the Dorling Kindersley and the biology book sampler (2 chapters) by E.O. Wilson. You can search for these and download them.

I'm afraid you'll probably have to wait a few months for serious textbooks for uni/college to start filtering through.

iTunes U was just podcasts, but some had pdf docs attached. What the iTunesU app does is give the lecturers the opportunity to pull all the video/audio/worksheets supporting iBooks if they exist, supporting apps, pdf's and website url's into a cohesive learning plan.

The iPad is awesome for reviewing PDF's and if you are an english major with a lot of books to review, it's great for iBooks and/or kindle.

Other textbooks, you'll just have to wait a bit longer.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
I've found a few engineering textbooks online in PDF format so I use them with the kindle app. Very handy to fit a 3ft pile of books in a package less tHan an inch thick!

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
hey guys, this is a kind of generic question. i have an ipad 2 and am going to be usuing it in college. can anyone who currently does, please tell me what you use it for? also i hear you can get textbooks on the ipad. is there an app? how does this work?

Hope you are still gong to have a computer as the iPad is too restricted to be of a great use as your sole computing device for college.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
If you plan to use the iPad for writing papers you WILL want a Bluetooth keyboard - the onscreen keyboard is really not great for anything longer than a few paragraphs.

metanoiac

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2012
You probably want to look into getting some decent writing app like iA Writer. Evernote is a great friend for college students and everybody else. Something to annotate lecture notes, for example iAnnotate or Goodreader. If you are reading a lot of PDFs and need a database management system, it is worth to consider Sente or Papers.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I use the iPad for most of my textbooks in college. I use and love the CourseSmart app for textbooks. I also use NoteTaker HD and an iPad stylus for writing out math problems instead of wasting tons of paper.

z7tjxd45

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
The biggest advantage for having an iPad for college is being able to have textbooks imported. A lot of my textbooks were found online in PDF from websites like scribd. As these PDF's come roughly 100-300MB Dropbox usually crashes. GoodReader is the premier PDF app for the iPad far superior than iBooks, Adobe Reader, you name it. It can import PDF's straight from Dropbox, network, emails; bypassing all disadvantages of having to be chained to iTunes. It renders pages quite fast as well as edit and write features.

I've spent $0 on textbooks this semester.

All else I prefer lugging around this small iPad than a laptop or netbook.

wantmba

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
flashcards

If you are doing any kind of coursework that requires memorizing large amounts of info for exams, you have to get a flashcard app. I personally really like Mentalcase, because it's got a nice platform for both the ipad and the Mac O/S. They also frequently update their apps, and are very receptive to user feedback/suggestions.

Using digital flashcards makes studying so much less annoying - and I think it's more efficient.

good luck

hurricanes305

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
thanks so much for your input guys. i couldnt find any of my textbooks on ibooks, hopefully soon they will filter more in? i am usuing a macbook pro now for school, and it seems like the ipad is more of a convenience. maybe not a necessity. do you guys agree? thanks so much for the replies.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
thanks so much for your input guys. i couldnt find any of my textbooks on ibooks, hopefully soon they will filter more in? i am usuing a macbook pro now for school, and it seems like the ipad is more of a convenience. maybe not a necessity. do you guys agree? thanks so much for the replies.

Check coursesmart for your textbooks. Largest online textbook vender right now. All my books for the last 3 semesters have been there. Ended up saving 2/3 off book price and paid for my iPad in 1 year with those savings.

jbLighty

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Cupertino, CA
Last quarter I decided to try digital textbooks with kno app and it was the worst way for me to read. Two days later I ended up buying the physical textbook. The only use I have for the ipad in college is the calender

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I don't know anyone in college that uses an iPad for work. At best they use it as a 2nd monitor, to display PDF's on and such. However, even people that have an iPad buy textbooks. There's no place in college (education) for an iPad.

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
I use the iPad for most of my textbooks in college. I use and love the CourseSmart app for textbooks. I also use NoteTaker HD and an iPad stylus for writing out math problems instead of wasting tons of paper.

I agree with CourseSmart. I saved almost 75% of the cost of my textbooks by buying through CourseSmart. However, the one caveat is the fact that you have to be hooked into a wifi network to load the next pages of your textbook. I have just been snapping screenshots of the pages if I will be in an internet-free zone. Also, the app doesn't multitask, which can be extremely annoying.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I agree with CourseSmart. I saved almost 75% of the cost of my textbooks by buying through CourseSmart. However, the one caveat is the fact that you have to be hooked into a wifi network to load the next pages of your textbook. I have just been snapping screenshots of the pages if I will be in an internet-free zone. Also, the app doesn't multitask, which can be extremely annoying.

Not true, you do not need to be online to view pages offline. The only time you need to be online is when using the search function. I'm hardly never online because my school's wifi is horrendous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.