Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
I stumbled upon this page today and wondered if I could find anything in the source code that might reveal the iPad Pro release date. I found nothing conclusive, but I did find one date in the code, and that date is November 9th.

It's embedded in the HTML page directly as the date that the cookies expire on. The code begins on Line 270 of the document, and here's a picture of it:

upload_2015-10-23_22-5-59.png

Why might anyone ever think that this date is significant? Well, two reasons:

1. This specific page will likely be removed the same day that the iPad Pro is released.
2. As a software developer myself, I often set cookies to be X years into the future from some specific date. If November 9th, 2015 is the last day that this page will be around, then the cookie expires exactly 35 years into the future. 35 years on the dot is a more likely arbitrary time that a developer would select over say, 34 years, 11 months, and 3 days (or whatever).

As for the hours, minutes, and seconds? That corresponds to 4:12 PM PST or 7:12 PM EST. Shrug. The argument for November 9th is itself iffy at best; I'm not sure if it's productive to theorize about what this could represent.

So why post this? Should we expect it to land on November 9th? Honestly, who knows, and, to some extent, who cares. We know that it'll be released in November sometime, and as early as next week we might have the actual release date. I just wanted to make a post on the off chance that it is released on the 9th, and maybe, just maybe, some software engineer unknowingly spilled the beans. But it could just be coincidence either way.

So what do you think?

Last edited:

aresx85

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2015
We can certainly hope, I can only refresh the product page so many times in hopes of a release date :) My only fear is that they run into any issues and push the release date back, but the reviews so far make it sound like it's got most of the kinks worked out.

mmalto

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
im gonna guess that nov 9th is highly unlikely. apple likes to release high profile products on fridays. i think nov 6th is more likely if it's released the first week of nov.

Hope so, the 10th's my Birthday! lol :cool::apple:

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I stumbled upon this page today and wondered if I could find anything in the source code that might reveal the iPad Pro release date. I found nothing conclusive, but I did find one date in the code, and that date is November 9th.

It's embedded in the HTML page directly as the date that the cookies expire on. The code begins on Line 270 of the document, and here's a picture of it:

View attachment 595283

Why might anyone ever think that this date is significant? Well, two reasons:

1. This specific page will likely be removed the same day that the iPad Pro is released.
2. As a software developer myself, I often set cookies to be X years into the future from some specific date. If November 9th, 2015 is the last day that this page will be around, then the cookie expires exactly 35 years into the future. 35 years on the dot is a more likely arbitrary time that a developer would select over say, 34 years, 11 months, and 3 days (or whatever).

As for the hours, minutes, and seconds? That corresponds to 4:12 PM PST or 7:12 PM EST. Shrug. The argument for November 9th is itself iffy at best; I'm not sure if it's productive to theorize about what this could represent.

So why post this? Should we expect it to land on November 9th? Honestly, who knows, and, to some extent, who cares. We know that it'll be released in November sometime, and as early as next week we might have the actual release date. I just wanted to make a post on the off chance that it is released on the 9th, and maybe, just maybe, some software engineer unknowingly spilled the beans. But it could just be coincidence either way.

So what do you think?

I would think a Wednesday or a Friday. Apple loves those days lol

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
if it is, i think it'll be when preorder starts, i can't remember when is the last time apple started to sell a new product (not refresh) on a monday, it was always friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.