Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Hi guys - hopefully an easy question for you.

100% of the time when I am looking at the iOS "desktop" or home screen, with no apps open, the twirly wheel beside the WiFi is ALWAYS going. Doesn't matter how long I watch it for, 100% of the time, if I am on the home screen, it's twirling. I have all background refresh globally set to OFF. No apps are open in the task manager. It's a 10.5" WiFi only model. As soon as I open anything or any app, it stops. I don't even have iCloud set up. I am not sure what it is doing for so long, all the time.

It's not affecting my battery life (which is phenomenal) so I am not too concerned, but I would like to know what it is doing and why it does it 100% of the time.

Thoughts? Does anyone else's do this? TIA

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi guys - hopefully an easy question for you.

100% of the time when I am looking at the iOS "desktop" or home screen, with no apps open, the twirly wheel beside the WiFi is ALWAYS going. Doesn't matter how long I watch it for, 100% of the time, if I am on the home screen, it's twirling. I have all background refresh globally set to OFF. No apps are open in the task manager. It's a 10.5" WiFi only model. As soon as I open anything or any app, it stops. I don't even have iCloud set up. I am not sure what it is doing for so long, all the time.

It's not affecting my battery life (which is phenomenal) so I am not too concerned, but I would like to know what it is doing and why it does it 100% of the time.

Thoughts? Does anyone else's do this? TIA

Is your iPad brand new? Sometimes it will show lots of activity while it settles in. Check in the battery section of setting and see what is using the most power.

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Is your iPad brand new? Sometimes it will show lots of activity while it settles in. Check in the battery section of setting and see what is using the most power.

It's Just over 2 weeks old and I've been using it daily.

The battery section looks normal, but I've been playing games lately so my battery stats are hugely disproportionate.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I've seen this happen occasionally on all of my iOS devices. A restart will usually fix it, but I haven't seen any adverse affect on battery even when I don't restart. I assume some low-level process is stuck, or the UI element itself is stuck, and it doesn't usually bother me.

Reactions: ManyThreads
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.