Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Sorry for the lousy picture, the “tan” background is actually a cool, blue-white and the granite pattern is much prettier.

I “skinned” both my iPP 11 and the keyboard folio. DecalGirl makes a skin for the iPP but not for the folio. My folio had smudges and such on it and that bugs me. I bought a universal laptop skin, using the “rubbing” method to make a pattern, and a quilting ruler and rotary cutter to make all the long, straight cuts before using embroidery scissors to cut the curved corners. It’s not as nice as one that’s die-cut but I’m probably the only one who’ll look at it closely enough to tell that it’s not.

I even cut narrow strips and applied them to the side-corners of the iPP.

D949D9EA-82B4-4F5F-8D2F-79E324AEF617.jpeg

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Looks fantastic!

Someone in the iPad Accessories forum posted a link to a seller who is actually selling skins for the keyboard folios. I’m waiting for my order!

Reactions: jazz1 and LibbyLA

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Looks fantastic!

Someone in the iPad Accessories forum posted a link to a seller who is actually selling skins for the keyboard folios. I’m waiting for my order!

Maybe I should have looked there :). Might have saved me a couple of hours of work. I like the DG skins so I’m happy with what I have. Hope your order arrives soon!
[doublepost=1544996089][/doublepost]Yep, should have checked the accessory forum! They have the skin in the exact pattern I have :). Same price that I paid for the universal skin, too.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Maybe I should have looked there :). Might have saved me a couple of hours of work. I like the DG skins so I’m happy with what I have. Hope your order arrives soon!
[doublepost=1544996089][/doublepost]Yep, should have checked the accessory forum! They have the skin in the exact pattern I have :). Same price that I paid for the universal skin, too.

That’s why I thought you had ordered from there until I read your post more closely. I thought I had seen that skin.
[doublepost=1545003967][/doublepost]Is yours a folio or a keyboard folio? I think they are only selling them for the keyboard folio, but I don’t know if it would be any different.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
That’s why I thought you had ordered from there until I read your post more closely. I thought I had seen that skin.
[doublepost=1545003967][/doublepost]Is yours a folio or a keyboard folio? I think they are only selling them for the keyboard folio, but I don’t know if it would be any different.

Keyboard folio.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
When I contacted DC several weeks ago, I was told that they were going to make a skin for the iPP but not for the keyboard folio.

You’re probably right about how I missed it. I also missed the email announcing that the skin was available.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
When I contacted DC several weeks ago, I was told that they were going to make a skin for the iPP but not for the keyboard folio.

You’re probably right about how I missed it. I also missed the email announcing that the skin was available.
At any rate, yours looks good. ;)

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Sorry for the lousy picture, the “tan” background is actually a cool, blue-white and the granite pattern is much prettier.

I “skinned” both my iPP 11 and the keyboard folio. DecalGirl makes a skin for the iPP but not for the folio. My folio had smudges and such on it and that bugs me. I bought a universal laptop skin, using the “rubbing” method to make a pattern, and a quilting ruler and rotary cutter to make all the long, straight cuts before using embroidery scissors to cut the curved corners. It’s not as nice as one that’s die-cut but I’m probably the only one who’ll look at it closely enough to tell that it’s not.

I even cut narrow strips and applied them to the side-corners of the iPP.

View attachment 811148

“Hey Phil can you make my $1,000 iPad Pro look like the inside bottom of a dumpster with trash grease and slime.
No problem Jim I can take care of that for you. “

Reactions: Booji and LibbyLA

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I went to that website and am liking the black marble skin. https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/418790/apple-ipad-pro-smart-keyboard-117-inch-skin-black-marble

Any inputs on how durable these skins are? I sometimes have to stuff my ipad into a bag filled with a lot of other books and stuff. Would the skins like these come off easily or tear?

Thanks

I have used them on several devices in the last few years and haven’t had problems. One was a Toshiba portable that was used in a diesel mechanic’s shop and it has stayed in good shape.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Great fitting however absolutely not my style and way too busy for my liking on such a classy looking device.
Thanks for sharing though!

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Great fitting however absolutely not my style and way too busy for my liking on such a classy looking device.
Thanks for sharing though!

I don’t see the skin when I’m using it. I can understand the “busy” sentiment, but I’m trying to hide smudges and stuff and this pattern does it.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
I went to that website and am liking the black marble skin. https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/418790/apple-ipad-pro-smart-keyboard-117-inch-skin-black-marble

Any inputs on how durable these skins are? I sometimes have to stuff my ipad into a bag filled with a lot of other books and stuff. Would the skins like these come off easily or tear?

Thanks

I actually ordered a custom printed one from this website after lurking on this tread and I'm REALLY happy with it. The quality is great (I used a high resolution picture so the image looks crisp) and the cuts were perfectly aligned exactly how I created it. I've had it on for about 2 weeks now and no corners are peeling, no collecting grease smudges, no trapped air pockets or even scratches. I take my iPad to work with me every day and keep it in my bag with my other stuff and it's faring out so much better than I hoped! I attached a picture to show how I usually carry my iPad. I have a few padded cases in my Amazon shopping cart but just haven't decided which one I want yet. LOL. I'm always really careful with my bag and always have stuff padding my iPad when I'm moving my bag.

I really wish they made decals for the iPad that also cover the sides, the only one I found that does that so far is SlickWraps.

IMG_1755.jpg IMG_1756.jpg IMG_1754.jpg

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I actually ordered a custom printed one from this website after lurking on this tread and I'm REALLY happy with it. The quality is great (I used a high resolution picture so the image looks crisp) and the cuts were perfectly aligned exactly how I created it. I've had it on for about 2 weeks now and no corners are peeling, no collecting grease smudges, no trapped air pockets or even scratches. I take my iPad to work with me every day and keep it in my bag with my other stuff and it's faring out so much better than I hoped! I attached a picture to show how I usually carry my iPad. I have a few padded cases in my Amazon shopping cart but just haven't decided which one I want yet. LOL. I'm always really careful with my bag and always have stuff padding my iPad when I'm moving my bag.

I really wish they made decals for the iPad that also cover the sides, the only one I found that does that so far is SlickWraps.

View attachment 817217 View attachment 817218 View attachment 817219
Hahaha, this is amazing. Did you make this image, or where did you find it?

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hahaha, this is amazing. Did you make this image, or where did you find it?

I found a basic image of the cover (there’s not very many that are HD or don’t look poorly edited) and used photoshop to scale it up, change some of the perspective, change some of the “used” look and clean it up. I’m not a graphic designer so I could never do this from scratch. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.