Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I have been thinking about whether or not this would be possible and its a big reason I would consider an iPad... if a killer app with the right hardware to accompany it for some simple recording comes out... im sold.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
London
That would be useful for things like scratch live does anyone know if it will support USB input devices like a space navigator as well?

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
I have a random question relating to photos on the ipad-
Why do they suck? ;)

Every image I've loaded to it (or emailed myself and saved to it) ends up as a compressed mess- so much for the beautiful screen...

Anyone have any workaround? The saving email attachments worked on my phone to get nice pics onto it...

thanks!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well if this is true/possible - perhaps Apple will open up the USB to allow printing eventually too.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I have my doubts that this is true, but if so it would be EXTREMELY exciting. I'm a musician, and it would be way cool to plug-in a guitar and record something on the fly with the iPad, or even have an app that does an amp emulation that you can play live with. Of course, if you have to carry the adaptor and the audio interface around, you might as well carry a small amp. :)

Tony

blindzero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
This is great possible news tho. Does this mean we won't have to rely on wifi to use as a control surface now? Or is this mainly to get podcast mics into it etc.

If they just give us access to use as Final Cut control surface and ability to use as external monitor on a DSLR or prosumer cam in some way...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I would love it if I could use my Korg Nanokey as a midi controller for a GarageBand clone on my iPad. Or better yet, GarageBand itself on iPad :D

JakeDTS

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
iPad Audio Recording

This is exactly what I've been waiting for before I would purchase an iPad. I wanted something more than my 3GS and if it does a couple tracks of audio recording and some minor plug-ins, I'm sold! As long as I can't just use that connection kit and do the same thing on the iPhone. Then I'm unsold.

I also wonder if you could somehow use the iPad as a hardware plug-in processor. It'd be an easy way for developers to write plug-ins for audio recording and distribute them for the iPad through the app store. The audio could be directed through the iPad through the plug-in suite and back into the computer so that you wouldn't be using computer resources for plug-ins. Should make the whole setup faster. Does anyone with any audio plug-in knowledge know if thats possible? Is the iPad fast enough to run a few plug-ins?

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I have a random question relating to photos on the ipad-
Why do they suck? ;)

Every image I've loaded to it (or emailed myself and saved to it) ends up as a compressed mess- so much for the beautiful screen...

Anyone have any workaround? The saving email attachments worked on my phone to get nice pics onto it...

thanks!

No idea. How did you load them to it?

I have used my iPad to land several contracts already simply by using it to do a close up and personal presentation. Clients love taking it and being able to flip through the photographs themselves and are blown away by the quality. When they find they can pinch and zoom they start asking where they can get one lol.

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
I don't know anything about the usb audio class or anything, but couldn't companies make their own adapter? Wasn't that a selling point for iPhone OS 3? 3rd party adapters and interfaces?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Why didn't you just give the galdurn device a USB port???
Ya know, for all the "why doesn't it have a USB port" whining, I haven't heard anyone actually say WHY they want one - not a "gee I'll pull this reason out of my *** to justify my whining", but a real "I have device X and have a viable reason to use it with an iPad".

The iPad is a minimalist device. It has a port insofar as a physical port is unavoidable. For everything else, you have Bluetooth, WiFi and 3G - really, what more do you need for the cloud paradigm? Apple has a long history of dumping ports which users need some help weaning from - maybe USB's time is about here, at least for highly portable devices.

As for the thread's subject: the port, electrically, is there. If you need, really need, USB then use the adapter; no reason to add weight & cost & size for something that truly won't be used most of the time when a postage-stamp sized adapter will do in the small percentage of time only a few users will actually need it for. If you REALLY need a USB port, then maybe this product isn't for you.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
this is huge!

Agreed. If true, this would remove my only obstacle to replacing my aging Toshiba laptop with an iPad. I could live with a GarageBand clone app, so long as I could transfer audio to a file for use in my main DAW app (Cakewalk SONAR). It would be great as a portable MIDI sketchpad and field recording device.

I already have an old Roland/Edirol UA-1A USB audio interface, which uses the USB Audio standard driver mentioned in the article.

Funny that my wife wouldn't be an obstacle this time around. She usually opposes purchasing "frivolous" gadgets. However, during an iPad ad on TV last night, she said she wants one, especially the 3G one, as the only time she's frustrated with her iPod touch is when there's no WiFi connection available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.