Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Next iPhone (iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone XI) can finally usb 3.0 speed?

• Yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Gameoro44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
because the iPhone XS Max has not use usb 3.0 speed.

It is terrible that Apple for their iPhones no usb 3.0 is installed.

The Samsung Galaxy S9 or S10 no problems. If connect it to the pc and transfer the data to the phone with usb 3.0 speed.

Gameoro44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
There has been USB 3 on iPhones since the 7 plus and has been confirmed. Also lightning isn’t a limitation for USB 3 as the iPad pros and Apple sell several USB 3 accessories.
no not true. There is not a single user who could ever use usb 3.0 on iPhones.

if so, why has not a single managed to transfer data from the pc to the iPhone with usb 3.0 speed?

It has been almost 3 years since the iPhone 7 Plus.

in the android devices could the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with usb 3.

at ipad pro with lightning should go only because it has 16 pins.
the iPhones were only 8 pins.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
no not true. There is not a single user who could ever use usb 3.0 on iPhones.

if so, why has not a single managed to transfer data from the pc to the iPhone with usb 3.0 speed?

It has been almost 3 years since the iPhone 7 Plus.

in the android devices could the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with usb 3.

at ipad pro with lightning should go only because it has 16 pins.
the iPhones were only 8 pins.
Because all lightning and usb c to lightning cables are usb 2.

Reactions: cmichaelb and Sikh

Gameoro44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
Because all lightning and usb c to lightning cables are usb 2.
But that is no proof. that the iphones usb 3.0 dominate.

but rather shows that the iphones never could usb 3.0 speed. even by asking apple developers there is no answer.

even ifixit has not found anything about it.

Last edited:

Drak3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2019
There has been USB 3 on iPhones since the 7 plus and has been confirmed. Also lightning isn’t a limitation for USB 3 as the iPad pros and Apple sell several USB 3 accessories.
No, there hasn't. The iPhones, including the XS,XS Max, and XR, are USB 2.0. So are most iPads.

Lightning ports, no chance. Wait for 2020.
Small chance, but there is a chance. As we've seen with the iPad Pro 12.9 and 10.5 models, Lightning can support USB 3.0 speeds.

The telltale sign-
The female port has pins on one side (like the iPhones), USB 2.0 bandwidth
The female port has pins on both sides, USB 3.0 speeds.

Reactions: liberte1776

josh27gamer9

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
iPhone 11 USB 3 is not possible. Same with 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max.

I tested it and it transfers data from the PC only with USB 2.0.

One of the reasons why I can't recommend an iPhone 11 Pro Max with 512 GB storage. When users transfer locally with large data and a lot of data from the PC. or regularly create large local backups.

It takes 4x or 5x longer than with my old Samsung Galaxy S8.

Reactions: UsTenor

UsTenor

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Even with the Lightning to USB 3.0 camera adapter, you will only get 2.0 speeds, because the lightning port is only capable of 2.0 speed.

it’s very deceptive and wrong.

pattyef

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
Lightning ports, no chance. Wait for 2020.

Maybe iPhone 11 Pro in fact does not use USB 3.0 but this is not the right reason.
There is USB 3.0 support on iPad Pro 10.5 & 12.9 which are both using lightning ports.
It can use USB 3.0 speeds (as host) with official Apple Camera USB 3 Adapter.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Question because I'm curious: what's the need for USB 3 speeds to transfer iPad data?

Are there multiple large daily transfers that would benefit from shaving off a few minutes of sync time?

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Question because I'm curious: what's the need for USB 3 speeds to transfer iPad data?

Are there multiple large daily transfers that would benefit from shaving off a few minutes of sync time?

Why are you making excuses for Apple having a 20 year old outdated IO type on a brand new phone that costs $1000? Why is it acceptable not to have the latest standard on the newest, most expensive flagship phone? And yes, it would be nice to shave off a few minutes of sync time when I want to put a multi-GB photo album on my phone, or refresh from a backup, or put a movie on there that I have in VLC.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Why are you making excuses for Apple having a 20 year old outdated IO type on a brand new phone that costs $1000? Why is it acceptable not to have the latest standard on the newest, most expensive flagship phone? And yes, it would be nice to shave off a few minutes of sync time when I want to put a multi-GB photo album on my phone, or refresh from a backup, or put a movie on there that I have in VLC.

Dude...what in the fvkc. Not sure where I made any excuse, I was asking a legit question based on my own usage (I do all the things you're talking about).

You could have just said "yes, having all the latest tech is important to me because minutes matter in my life" and be done with it.

Reactions: russell_314

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Good luck dealing with disrupted wireless signals using wireless transfer. One reason I never use wifi based personal hotspot is it is highly unreliable. Maybe just me, but blatantly remove wire support on a device for the sake of nothing is stupid.

Why not creating a magic PCB that each component is wirelessly connected to each other? /s

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Good luck dealing with disrupted wireless signals using wireless transfer. One reason I never use wifi based personal hotspot is it is highly unreliable. Maybe just me, but blatantly remove wire support on a device for the sake of nothing is stupid.

Why not creating a magic PCB that each component is wirelessly connected to each other? /s

Wait, who's talking about removing wired support?

Weren't we talking about Lightning versus USB3?

A home WiFi network is far more reliable than a hotspot.

By "highly unreliable," for what purpose are you using it for (gaming, streaming video, heavily encrypted multiple terabyte downloads)?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
By "highly unreliable," for what purpose are you using it for (gaming, streaming video, heavily encrypted multiple terabyte downloads)?
Any purpose, including basic web surfing. The connection will cut off or drop completely without any reason. Erasing all data and setting doesn’t fix the problem. So I give up.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Any purpose, including basic web surfing. The connection will cut off or drop completely without any reason. Erasing all data and setting doesn’t fix the problem. So I give up.
That is something wrong with your phone or wifi connection. Perhaps take it to the Apple store and see if they can find anything. My connection never drops off when I'm on wifi.

Reactions: 26139

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That is something wrong with your phone or wifi connection. Perhaps take it to the Apple store and see if they can find anything. My connection never drops off when I'm on wifi.
I tried, and they found nothing wrong. Exchanged my iPhone once, no luck. Personal hotspot is irrelevant to home wifi quality. So I will stick to wired connection for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.