Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Is anyone else having issues getting their new phones running? Things started fine, I am upgrading from 10s Max to 11 Pro Max. When I turned the new phone on I was able to start the transfer from my old phone to the new phone with the automatic process. It successfully transferred data from my 10s Max. After the transfer from old phone to new phone was complete, the new phone went through a few additional setup prompts and then went into some type of update (IOS 13??) It was hung up with the apple logo and update bar....the update bar slowly crawled forward but then basically was sitting at like 95% for about 2 hours before I hard rebooted. After hard rebooting, it immediately went into the update again from the beginning, and now its stuck in the exact same spot for another 2 hours. I'm letting it go for awhile this time....but have no clue how long this might take or if something is actually wrong with the phone.

Any others out there with similar experience?

Janney66

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Is anyone else having issues getting their new phones running? Things started fine, I am upgrading from 10s Max to 11 Pro Max. When I turned the new phone on I was able to start the transfer from my old phone to the new phone with the automatic process. It successfully transferred data from my 10s Max. After the transfer from old phone to new phone was complete, the new phone went through a few additional setup prompts and then went into some type of update (IOS 13??) It was hung up with the apple logo and update bar....the update bar slowly crawled forward but then basically was sitting at like 95% for about 2 hours before I hard rebooted. After hard rebooting, it immediately went into the update again from the beginning, and now its stuck in the exact same spot for another 2 hours. I'm letting it go for awhile this time....but have no clue how long this might take or if something is actually wrong with the phone.

Any others out there with similar experience?
Same exact issue here with 11 Pro. Waited hours, reset it and waited for hours again. Not sure what to do...may bring it in tomorrow.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
yep, im going through exact same thing right now! I was able to get the phone to try and update again via iTunes, but that didn't work and ended up getting back to the exact same stuck update even after supposedly updating successfully via Itunes. Now I just did a factory reset. Now i just need to figure out whether I try and load from an iCloud backup, or if I can try the phone to phone transfer again?

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
did you go all the way to dfu mode or just factory reset?
Hmm I guess I'm not sure, looking closer I dont think so, I believe I just reset in recovery mode and then did a factory reset. Now I'm setting it up via transfer from my old phone the same way I did before. The transfer worked fine previously, it was what I believe the IOS13 update that got locked. If this fails again I'll do your suggestion. I don't have an iTunes restore to use though, I backup via iCloud

Jafece

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
Thats fine its just a full redownload and reinstall of the software when its done you still setup the phone like normal and can choose iCloud backup

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
thanks!! I'll definitely give that a shot. Question about the iCloud method though - will it transfer data that is embedded in the apps as well? Wasn't sure if all that information is backed up in an icloud backup or if the phone to phone transfer is the only way to ensure its all there

Jafece

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
check your old phone in the iCloud settings, if the app data is not backed up you can turn it on and do another backup

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Same issue here, stuck at 99% or so with Apple logo and progress bar. I have a full backup of the old phone in iTunes and tried to go into DFU mode but the screen does not turn black. Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Used the link in post 3 above. You’ll need a PC
[automerge]1569021435[/automerge]

Sorry just realized you tried but the screen didn’t go black for you. It seemed to work for me. Plugged it into my PC and then did a hard reset
Thanks, it worked eventually. I did not have to restore the backup from iTunes. After restarting everything was in place and several apps are still updating. I hope the Apple Watch pairing goes well.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Wife phone stuck too for two hours. Had to go dfu and restore back to factory using iMac and iTunes. Second setup she used a different backup in iCloud (last night) and it went smoothly.

Just annoying.

Reactions: caligurl

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Having the same problem right now. My issue is I can't seem to get into DFU mode. Phone is basically just bricked in a never-ending update.

• Sad
Reactions: caligurl

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Having the same problem right now. My issue is I can't seem to get into DFU mode. Phone is basically just bricked in a never-ending update.
I had to try a couple of times before it worked. After that everything went smoothly, including Apple Watch pairing without losing any data.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA
I had to try a couple of times before it worked. After that everything went smoothly, including Apple Watch pairing without losing any data.

Tried it a few more times and got it to work. I was expecting something to show on the iPhone screen, but it just notifies you in iTunes. Currently "restoring iPhone software" so hopefully headed the right direction.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
So I didn't have to do DFU mode, when I got home after a night out for ~4 hours the phone had updated and transferred correctly from my old iPhone just fine. No idea what happened the first time. Thanks for all the help though!

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i can't get DFU or reset or anything to work. i just get a white screen that says swipe up to upgrade. the only thing that comes up on iTunes tells me my iphone is locked with a password.

i've NEVER had a problem with an upgrade on a phone before.

Jafece

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
I'm going to go with bad software install at factory because dfu fixes with with full phone restore

Jafece

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
are you attempting dfu mode with the computer plugged in? you get regular reset if not, also dfu mode doesn't say anything on the phone, it pops up on computer that a phone is in recovery mode, that's it

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
are you attempting dfu mode with the computer plugged in? you get regular reset if not, also dfu mode doesn't say anything on the phone, it pops up on computer that a phone is in recovery mode, that's it

yes... .plugged into the computer/itunes

i do all the buttons up/down/power/etc.... and nothing happens but the white screen with slide to upgrade and the box on iTunes that says it can't open cuz of password

Jafece

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
its press up press down, hold power for 10 then add volume down back in, hold both for 5, let go of power but keep holding volume down till it pops up. you don't let go of power even if the apple logo comes up, it will go back off

Reactions: pdxa4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.