Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t1m1t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone else is having this issue. When I got my 11 Pro Max, it showed an error saying "Ultra Wideband Update Failed - your iPhone cannot use ultra wideband until it has been updated." Has anyone else come across this? I've updated every time an update has come out since 13 and have now updated to 13.1.2, but it still continues to show this. I've searched both in the forums and Google, but can't seem to find anything related to the issue.

Thanks in advance!

t1m1t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
When the phone restarts it comes up on startup. It comes up before using my Passcode, then gives me another error with the same message on the home screen.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Strange. I’d check with Apple on this. My only suggestion would be to erase all settings and setup as new to see if that takes care of it. If not, may be a hardware problem

t1m1t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Just did a fresh install with a backup and still seeing the error when turning off/on the phone... going to set up an Apple store visit :/

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Sounds like hardware failure similar to Apple Pay error. Take it to the store for diagnostic and be prepared for exchange.

mackya99

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2019
Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone else is having this issue. When I got my 11 Pro Max, it showed an error saying "Ultra Wideband Update Failed - your iPhone cannot use ultra wideband until it has been updated." Has anyone else come across this? I've updated every time an update has come out since 13 and have now updated to 13.1.2, but it still continues to show this. I've searched both in the forums and Google, but can't seem to find anything related to the issue.

Thanks in advance!
It happened on my 11 Pro Max as well after updating to 13.1.2. Hopefully it’s a software issue, and that it will be fixed in the next beta.

Rafaelito

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
My 11 Pro Max had it too. AirDrop would not work to send, but could receive. Reset and setup as new failed to resolve issue. Visited Apple Store yesterday and did return/replace. After reinstalling dev/beta version, was able to restore my backup. No errors throughout the process. This may be a rare, but known issue as Apple has addressed it with photos, recommending same action as Apple Pay Update or Cellular Update start errors.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
I got this updating to 13.1.3

Attachments

• 6975303A-6B88-486D-A239-E3FA35CADA9D.jpeg
    6975303A-6B88-486D-A239-E3FA35CADA9D.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 674

addey

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
Just updated mine to 13.1.3 and it’s also saying “update to ultra wideband failed”

tylerd182

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
Also getting error message: "ULTRA WIDEBAND UPDATE FAILED". Had this with iOS 13.2 public beta 2, and today I still have it after updating to public beta 3. Is it a software issue, or is my phone hardware broken?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Since we all not had this issue until the latest ios,i think is something wrong with beta ios13.2 and with 13.1.3
[automerge]1571297944[/automerge]
Anyone with this that is still using ios13.1?

Reactions: tylerd182

mackya99

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2019
I fixed this issue by updating to the public released iOS by putting my phone in DFU mode, and setting up as new. I then restored my phone from backup. As far as I can tell it’s a software issue.

tylerd182

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
I fixed this issue by updating to the public released iOS by putting my phone in DFU mode, and setting up as new. I then restored my phone from backup. As far as I can tell it’s a software issue.
when you restored from backup, was the backup with made with the latest beta software or with a public released version. I did erase all content and settings and restored from my current backup, but this did not fix the issue. Any reason to think using DFU mode and then restoring from beta backup would have a different result? (I was an idiot and did not make a backup before using beta software)

mackya99

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2019
when you restored from backup, was the backup with made with the latest beta software or with a public released version. I did erase all content and settings and restored from my current backup, but this did not fix the issue. Any reason to think using DFU mode and then restoring from beta backup would have a different result? (I was an idiot and did not make a backup before using beta software)
I had to reinstall the beta profile after setting up as new, to be able to restore to my backup. I believe installing the public release iOS via DFU mode made this error go away, and luckily it didn’t come back after restoring from backup.

tylerd182

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
do I need the ultra Wideband functionality for anything? Because I'm thinking this will be fixed with the next beta and maybe the easiest thing is to just wait until then

mackya99

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2019
do I need the ultra Wideband functionality for anything? Because I'm thinking this will be fixed with the next beta and maybe the easiest thing is to just wait until then
As of now Apple is only utilizing the U chip for airdrop.

kcmac47

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
Has anyone tried downgrading through shift/check for update method? As long as an ipsw is downloaded and you select that after hitting command/check for update on Mac. your device will downgrade and not loose any information to ANY iOS thats still being signed.

jbuccino

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2006
It just happened to one of my phones (11 Max Pro) for the first time on developer beta 4. I was able to recover by going into DFU mode, selecting Update (not Restore) which installed 13.1.3. After about a 20-30 minute update and data recovery process I saw that the beta profile was still loaded and I was able to select the update to beta 4; this time without issue. So it is almost certainly a software problem. My other 11 Max which was updated at the same time had no issue.

ascNYC

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
This happened to me on the last beta update. I called Apple and they ran remote diagnostics and said all hardware and software were running normally. Suggested that I downgrade off the beta and restore. Upon the advice from a fellow forum member, I reinstalled the IPSW and that fixed it. I would suggest trying this prior to anything else more invasive.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
This happened to me on the last beta update. I called Apple and they ran remote diagnostics and said all hardware and software were running normally. Suggested that I downgrade off the beta and restore. Upon the advice from a fellow forum member, I reinstalled the IPSW and that fixed it. I would suggest trying this prior to anything else more invasive.

Thanks Ill try that. My last iCloud backup was yesterday (when I have 13.2 beta 4 on). If I shift/restore with the IPSW file, I will loose everything then and will it be ok to restore from a "beta" backup?

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Glad to have helped!
[automerge]1572389125[/automerge]
Has anyone tried downgrading through shift/check for update method? As long as an ipsw is downloaded and you select that after hitting command/check for update on Mac. your device will downgrade and not loose any information to ANY iOS thats still being signed.
You shouldn’t really downgrade through this process, apparently. I think you run the risk of corruption/data loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.