Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have decided to go with the 12 Pro 128gb.

With my Apple discount through my work and the fact Apple is charging $30 extra on the unlocked non-Pro model (I always buy full price unlocked), for me, the price difference between Pro and non-Pro at the 128gb capacity is only $118.

The non-Pro is priced too high. I would feel cheated if I bought it. For my use, I feel that paying the $118 extra for the Pro is more than worth it.

Had the non-Pro 128gb been $749, it would have been another decision.
I agree the non-pro 12 seems too expensive and too close to the 12 pro. They’re up selling people for sure which they’ve mastered the art.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
There's almost no daylight between the 12 and 12 Pro, unless you're seriously into photography. Even though the price gap is not that large, I'd go for the regular pro.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
That’s not a huge difference and they match each other on max brightness with HDR. I think it’s safe to say they both have excellent screens this year and we can bid goodbye to the silly criticisms we saw with the XR/11.

Yes, the difference will be negligible, if any.

I wonder if the screen is capable of the same 800 nits, but is being crippled via software to create a difference. This would not surprise me at all.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
On the IUP the difference is between $39 and $49. So I’m leaning towards the regular 12 and that way the $10 can pay for the 2TB iCloud plan I’m on.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I was considering the regular 12 but the monthly payment through my carrier the difference is only $8 a month. I spend that almost daily for breakfast so its not a big deal might as well get the Pro.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
If the Lidar scanner was AR exclusive I might tend to agree about getting the 6.1 instead but it actually enhances some of the camera systems as well such as night mode and autofocus. And when you add enhancements to AR Apps then I’m going for the big daddy

brettinlj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
The iPhone 12 Pro 128 Gb is pretty close in price to a iPhone 12 256 Gb. I already have a 2 TB iCloud plan so I'm thinking of going with the former and just being more disciplined about offloading more stuff to the cloud. I do actually like the lighter weight more vibrant blue of the 12 though. :D

mosesa

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
I was considering the regular 12 but the monthly payment through my carrier the difference is only $8 a month. I spend that almost daily for breakfast so its not a big deal might as well get the Pro.
That was my thinking as well

Reactions: coney718

kuietstorm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’m having a bit of a dilemma. I’m torn between the Red 12 and Graphite 12Pro. I want the 12 Red (my favorite color) but it looks cheap and not the deep red from previous versions. The Graphite 12Pro is classy looking and more my taste. Ugh, I don’t kno what to do.

Reactions: George Dawes

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
If you’re not a Max user, then this year is a really close call between the pro and non-pro models. One thing that is also different is the starting storage (64GB for non-pro and 128 for pro). we need some hands-on media photos lol!

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I’m having a bit of a dilemma. I’m torn between the Red 12 and Graphite 12Pro. I want the 12 Red (my favorite color) but it looks cheap and not the deep red from previous versions. The Graphite 12Pro is classy looking and more my taste. Ugh, I don’t kno what to do.
Graphite and a red case. Personally I have always thought the RED iPhone cheapen the look but that’s just me. 41CC7CFF-AB13-4C4E-93A5-D603E7C09DFC.png

Reactions: Lwii2boo

Sixto

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
Was thinking 12 Pro but probably will go with lighter 12. 13% lighter. It's always in my pocket.

Edit: Ah, I don't know now. Maybe 12 Pro. Same weight as 11 Pro which I have.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes, the difference will be negligible, if any.

I wonder if the screen is capable of the same 800 nits, but is being crippled via software to create a difference. This would not surprise me at all.

Not to mention the stats are quoted as being when the iPhone is on ‘Max brightness’, something very very people ever use because it’s far too bright anyway.

Reactions: George Dawes

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
That’s not a huge difference and they match each other on max brightness with HDR. I think it’s safe to say they both have excellent screens this year and we can bid goodbye to the silly criticisms we saw with the XR/11.
Still like the 11s LCD no complaints. But the Edges and device itself could be smaller.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not to mention the stats are quoted as being when the iPhone is on ‘Max brightness’, something very very people ever use because it’s far too bright anyway.

To be fair, max brightness is used quite often when Auto Brightness is enabled. When a user is outdoors, max brightness kicks in quite often. You don’t even need to be in direct sunlight.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
I’ve never met a single person unhappy with an XR/11 if I’m truthfully honest. They only seem to get criticism from pixel counters on tech forums.

Tbh it really depends on what you’re used to. On its own, it’s a good screen but in direct comparison to a good OLED screen its downsides are really obvious and can’t be sugarcoated. Just like with TVs: one may be content with a decent LED set but once you go OLED there‘s really no going back.

That being said, the LCD of the XR/11 surely is capable enough for the average user. I‘m using my 11 for nine months now and while the difference in screen quality compared to my old X is huge, it’s still adequate for day to day usage.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Tbh it really depends on what you’re used to. On its own, it’s a good screen but in direct comparison to a good OLED screen its downsides are really obvious and can’t be sugarcoated. Just like with TVs: one may be content with a decent LED set but once you go OLED there‘s really no going back.

That being said, the LCD of the XR/11 surely is capable enough for the average user. I‘m using my 11 for nine months now and while the difference in screen quality compared to my old X is huge, it’s still adequate for day to day usage.
I wouldn’t say many will directly compare though and whenever I have tried a comparison myself, I see a difference but nothing that would bother me. The only people I’ve seen criticising the screen in the XR/11 have been on tech forums where people have tried to do the device down to make themselves feel better. Nobody I know who has owned either device has ever said to me the screen isn’t good enough. I doubt those of us buying iPhone 12’s are going to directly compare the screens to other phones that technically have a better screen on a spec sheet either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.