Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After over a year of rumors, there are now 30 changes and improvements expected to be offered by the iPhone 16 Pro models later this year.

All of the changes the iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature compared to their direct forerunners are listed below, using information from reliable sources that we have previously covered. We will update this article as more rumors emerge in the coming months.

Displays

Both iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature larger displays than their predecessors, pushing the iPhone 16 Pro Max to be the biggest iPhone ever offered. There are also reportedly improvements to the underlying OLED technology in store.

iPhone 15 ProiPhone 16 Pro
6.1- or 6.7-inch display6.3- or 6.9-inch display
Thinner borders around the display
More efficient OLED display with brighter micro-lens technology

Chip, Thermals, and Connectivity

Under the hood, the iPhone 16 Pro models are rumored to bring notable improvements in processing power, thermal management, and connectivity. From a more powerful "A18 Pro" chip to advanced thermal designs and enhanced connectivity options including the latest Wi-Fi standards, these changes promise to further update the iPhone's basic specifications.

A17 Pro chip (TSMC's "N3B" 3nm process)A18 Pro chip (TSMC's "N3E" enhanced 3nm process)
16-core Neural EngineEnhanced neural Engine with "significantly" more cores to support new AI features
Thermal design with copper heatsink and black foil battery casingNew thermal design with graphene heatsink and metal battery casing
Snapdragon X70 5G modemSnapdragon X75 5G modem
Wi-Fi 6E connectivityWi-Fi 7 connectivity

Cameras

The iPhone 16 Pro models are slated to receive a range of substantial camera enhancements, such as a larger main camera sensor, a 48-megapixel sensor on the ultra wide camera, and a dedicated hardware button for photography and videography on the side of the device.

"Capture Button" to trigger photography and videography features
1/1.28-inch main camera sensoriPhone 16 Pro‌ Max: 1/1.14-inch main camera sensor (12% larger)
Sony IMX-803 main camera sensoriPhone 16 Pro Max: Sony IMX-903 main camera sensor with stacked design for better performance, a 14-bit Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) for high-quality image data conversion, and Digital Gain Control (DCG) for better dynamic range and noise control
7P main camera lens8P main camera lens
iPhone 15 Pro: Telephoto camera with second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization
iPhone 15 Pro Max: Telephoto camera with larger sensor, folded tetraprism design, optical image stabilization, and autofocus 3D sensor-shift module
Telephoto camera with larger sensor, folded tetraprism design, optical image stabilization, and autofocus 3D sensor-shift module
iPhone 15 Pro: 77mm maximum focal length
iPhone 15 Pro Max: 120mm maximum focal length
iPhone 16 Pro: 120mm maximum focal length
iPhone 16 Pro Max: "Super" telephoto camera with focal length above 300mm
iPhone 15 Pro: 0.5x, 1x, 2x, and 3x optical zoom
iPhone 15 Pro Max: 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 3x, and 5x optical zoom (5x on Pro Max only)
0.5x, 1x, 2x, and 5x optical zoom
4P telephoto camera lens5P telephoto camera lens
12-megapixel ultra wide camera48-megapixel ultra wide camera
5P ultra wide camera lens6P ultra wide camera lens

Batteries and Charging

The iPhone 16 Pro models could receive some major improvements in battery technology and charging, sporting bigger, denser batteries and faster charging capabilities.

Single-layer battery technologyStacked battery technology for increased energy density and prolonged lifespan
iPhone 15 Pro: 3,274 mAh battery
iPhone 15 Pro Max: 4,422 mAh battery
iPhone 16 Pro: 3,355 mAh mAh battery (+2.5%)
iPhone 16 Pro Max: 4,676 mAh battery (+5%)
Up to 27W wired chargingUp to 40W wired charging
15W charging via MagSafe20W charging via MagSafe

Other Features and Changes

While many of Apple's devices are rumored to receive a series of new AI-based features via software updates later this year, the iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to take these further with exclusive capabilities and an upgraded microphone.

Support for new AI features in iOS 18Support for new AI features in iOS 18, plus a suite of device-exclusive AI features
MicrophoneUpgraded microphone with improved signal-to-noise ratio and water resistance, designed to support new AI features
Up to 1TB of storageUp to 2TB of storage
Black Titanium, White Titanium, Blue Titanium, and Natural Titanium color optionsBlack Titanium/Space Black, White Titanium, Desert Titanium, Titanium Gray, and potentially Rose Gold color options
Brushed titanium frameGlossy titanium frame
... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro vs. iPhone 16 Pro: 30 Rumored Upgrades Compared

Last edited:

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
too bad we are going again big and bigger in physical dimensions...
Once you use a larger display, it's hard going back to a smaller one. I'm sure there's a limit but the Pro Max isn't it. I'd be happy with a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra sized iPhone. But I do think that larger displays works better on Android because the back button and menus are at the bottom, where they belong. In iOS, where it's a jumbled mess with the back button at the very top and occasional menus at the bottom.

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
Let’s be Honest alright, the 15 series line up was was mediocre, disappointing, lame, BORING.
I guarantee that the next iphone will only come with 3 difference:
1) larger displays
2) a new button
3) “AI” integrated

Another Boring year ya’ll, so save the cash and skip, AGAIN.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Once you use a larger display, it's hard going back to a smaller one. I'm sure there's a limit but the Pro Max isn't it. I'd be happy with a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra sized iPhone. But I do think that larger displays works better on Android because the back button and menus are at the bottom, where they belong. In iOS, where it's a jumbled mess with the back button at the very top and occasional menus at the bottom.
so your hands gets also bigger and bigger, our pockets gets bigger and bigger..so you dont have anything against if Apple and Samsung goes with 8" displays in 4 years?! Lets get real, 6.5-6.7" its ok for a "big phone". When we draw a line since the borders now are at their limits...so you cannot go larger display without getting also larger physical dimensions
Lets travel with our phone not with mini tablets

Last edited:

haunebu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
California
Are they ever going to do something new? I understand that there's risk in introducing entirely new concepts, but... a slightly better camera for edge cases? Uh... yay.

Come on, Apple. At least do a side project here. Samsung has had a whole line of flip & fold devices for years and they're great. Can't we have at least some innovation in the phone offering anymore?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Let’s be Honest alright, the 15 series line up was was mediocre, disappointing, lame, BORING.
1) larger displays
2) a new button
3) “AI” integrated

I categorically disagree with the above assessment. YMMV.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Why is that bad?
Some people, myself included, would rather they keep the same size screen but the physical device smaller so it is easier to use. How big is too big for you? Would you just carry an iPad instead if it had all the same camera/cell features? We all have our preferences of when a device has become too big and would prefer something smaller.

Edit: My hope/wish/dream is that by moving to 6.3/6.9 that it makes room for a "bigger than mini" but smaller iPhone 17/Pro at say 5.8/5.9". Basically a X/Xs/11Pro size screen in a modern and slimmer form factor.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
1) larger displays
2) a new button
3) “AI” integrated

the days of "exciting" updates year over year are over, people don't upgrade every year anymore, but for plenty people on older iPhones the new ones will be exciting ...

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
1) larger displays
2) a new button
3) “AI” integrated

Counterpoint. It will be a great upgrade from my XR.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
the days of "exciting" updates year over year are over, people don't upgrade every year anymore

People never upgraded every year; it was almost always two years except for enthusiasts..hence the S line of iPhones. Now it's almost every three years, on average.

As for this bit of info...meh... Keeping my 13 Pro for another year, at least.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
so your hands gets also bigger and bigger, our pockets gets bigger and bigger..so you dont have anything against if Apple and Samsung goes with 8" displays in 4 years?! Lets get real, 6.5-6.7" its ok for a "big phone". When we draw a line since the borders now are at their limits...so you cannot go larger display without getting also larger physical dimensions
Lets travel with our phone not with mini tablets
Re-read carefully what I wrote above:

The S24 Ultra isn't prohibitive to carry. I wouldn't mind an iPhone that size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.