Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
My Dad has an iPhone 4 which was purchased on launch day here in the UK. It was originally mine, but I gave it to him when I got an iPhone 4S. Recently he has not been getting any signal in most places, with only one bar in the odd place or two. We are both on O2, and so is my step-mum and when we compare our signals my Dad tends to have 'No Service', whereas I get 5 Bars with 3G, and so does my step-mum (who has a 3G).

I have tried Restoring the phone - but it seems as if there is a problem with the phone itself.

I am trying to get my Dad to go to an Apple Store to get it looked at, since it is out of warranty - and they tried to charge him £120 to repair a faulty Home button back in October.

Is there anything else I can try? And does anybody know how much Apple will charge to replace it?

Thanks so much!

RonJones

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Did your dad drop the phone or was there any other damages to the phone?

Its hard to tell what is the reason for the problem based on the information that you have provided.. good luck!

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Got it fixed

Hi... Just an update in case anybody was wondering...

Took it to an Apple Store on Sunday, the genius took the back off and saw that the battery had popped out of its place and then explained to us that the battery holds down the antenna cables. Once he clicked the battery back into place the phone immediately got a signal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.