Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tttmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Hi everyone, i recently got my first iphone replaced due to battery/dead pixels, and then the replacement i got, i noticed these 4 points of light shining thru,
there are one point on one corner of the phone basically,
I replaced that one for yet another one, and this one has it too!

does anyone else have these 4 points of light?

here is a photo to better describe one of the points, the other point is on the opposite side of this point, while the other 2 are on the bottom area exactly opposite one another just like the top ones...

its kinda distracting......

anyone else have this?????????

100_0482.jpg

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
Hi everyone, i recently got my first iphone replaced due to battery/dead pixels, and then the replacement i got, i noticed these 4 points of light shining thru,
there are one point on one corner of the phone basically,
I replaced that one for yet another one, and this one has it too!

does anyone else have these 4 points of light?

here is a photo to better describe one of the points, the other point is on the opposite side of this point, while the other 2 are on the bottom area exactly opposite one another just like the top ones...

its kinda distracting......

anyone else have this?????????

100_0482.jpg

yes, all the replacements i have been through have at least one light leakage.

my current one has 3 corners.

tttmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
3 corners? that means this should NOT be happening right???
cuz i swear my first phone from june 30 had 0 light leakage

OH WELL

what do you suggest......??????

should i wait a while before new revisions of the iphone are trickled to the stores

or just keep trying to go back to the genious bar and hope for THE perfect phone

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
3 corners? that means this should NOT be happening right???
cuz i swear my first phone from june 30 had 0 light leakage

OH WELL

what do you suggest......??????

should i wait a while before new revisions of the iphone are trickled to the stores

or just keep trying to go back to the genious bar and hope for THE perfect phone
Stop being OCD. With consumer electronics items, your always going to be able to find something to obsess about if your looking for it. I had to have my iPhone replaced b/c it wouldn't take a charge. The iPhone replacement I got has a somewhat darker/contrasty screen(not in a good way), and less of a viewing angle than my original. Other than that quibble, the replacement has phenomenal battery life, no dead pixels, and a louder speakerphone.

I want to take it back, because I feel the screen on my other phone was a little better, and I may obsess over it, but I've decided to keep it for fear I may get one that has something seriously wrong with it. It can become a never-ending cycle. If your intent on a replacement, I would wait a little while for Apple to refine quality control on these things.

tttmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Do i have up to a year for my warranty to keep going for them to exchange it for me? since this light leakage issue is still a valid complaint....
its not the 14 days right?

im only worried about that, since if its up to a year, then ill just wait a month or two or something and then replace it then

i mean, this is a pricey item... i would like it to be in perfect fit and finish

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Do i have up to a year for my warranty to keep going for them to exchange it for me? since this light leakage issue is still a valid complaint....
its not the 14 days right?

im only worried about that, since if its up to a year, then ill just wait a month or two or something and then replace it then

i mean, this is a pricey item... i would like it to be in perfect fit and finish
Yeah, you have the full year for any in-warranty exchange. Trust me, I know how frustrating it can be to have something you paid good money for, and it not be perfect. I also unfortunately have experienced the tangential aspect, in that the replacements are worse off than the originals. Short of demanding the genius to remove several iPhones from their packaging for inspection, your taking a risk. If it's affecting usability of the device then by all means get it replaced now, but if you can live with it I'd wait a while. We are the earliest of the early adopters, and I suspect Apple is still ironing out the kinks.:)

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
I'm pretty sure this is part of the design, folks.

There are four tiny places where light is visible. They are directly across from one another on both sides, so I think it's safe to say it was intentional.

It's not as if you can see them when looking straight at the phone.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
Your lucky that all you have are some light points, I have had to return 6 iphones because they kept getting fingerprints on them.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
I'm pretty sure this is part of the design, folks.

There are four tiny places where light is visible. They are directly across from one another on both sides, so I think it's safe to say it was intentional.

It's not as if you can see them when looking straight at the phone.

If it was normal, all iPhones would have it. I dont think this is normal at all. For one, its not logical to build this in and two, I sure dont have it.

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I bought my iPhone the 29th, and if I look from an angle, i can see two points of light on either side.

Our IT guy at work bought one last weekend, his has it too.

My girlfriend bought an iPhone this past Tuesday; it has it as well.

It appears to me that this is quite normal.

Personally, I did the whole obssess-over-every-detail of my phone for the first week too, but I've found since I started using the device as part of my everyday life rather than examining it like the Grail at every turn it's been a much more productive device.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I bought my iPhone the 29th, and if I look from an angle, i can see two points of light on either side.

Our IT guy at work bought one last weekend, his has it too.

My girlfriend bought an iPhone this past Tuesday; it has it as well.

It appears to me that this is quite normal.

Personally, I did the whole obssess-over-every-detail of my phone for the first week too, but I've found since I started using the device as part of my everyday life rather than examining it like the Grail at every turn it's been a much more productive device.

I wish people would stop going around saying "everybody has this problem" etc. because 99% of the time it's UNTRUE.
  • I don't have the white dots (LCD 5# model)
  • I don't have the light leakage as in this thread
  • My battery glows when it's full and I've always had usage data from day 1
  • My battery lasts on average for 7-8 hours of usage and 16 hours of standby with Wifi and BT on
  • My call volume is relatively loud (on par with other phones I've used)
  • Speakerphone is quieter than normal but still acceptable
  • My Yahoo Plus! account works perfectly with iPhone's IMAP push(send/receive)
Therefore, as someone stated, these are normal and anything other than this is a bug/defect or issues with certain batches,etc. Instead of making excuses for Apple, you should get what you paid for and I wouldn't accept any compromises especially for $600. That's just me though.

spyz

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
I wish people would stop going around saying "everybody has this problem" etc. because 99% of the time it's UNTRUE.
  • I don't have the white dots (LCD 5# model)
  • I don't have the light leakage as in this thread
  • My battery glows when it's full and I've always had usage data from day 1
  • My battery lasts on average for 7-8 hours of usage and 16 hours of standby with Wifi and BT on
  • My call volume is relatively loud (on par with other phones I've used)
  • Speakerphone is quieter than normal but still acceptable
  • My Yahoo Plus! account works perfectly with iPhone's IMAP push(send/receive)
Therefore, as someone stated, these are normal and anything other than this is a bug/defect or issues with certain batches,etc. Instead of making excuses for Apple, you should get what you paid for and I wouldn't accept any compromises especially for $600. That's just me though.

A FRICKIN 'MEN BROTHER! Thats what im talking about. I have a LCD model 5# the same as him and everything he said mine acts the same way EXCEPT the battery GLOWS whenever it feels like. Im just worried if I bring it back ill get a defective screen or what not. Its as close to perfect as I can ask for.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
People people people. Are light leaks that serious? Are you looking at the screen when you use the phone or these miniature smaller then ant sized pieces of light? It shouldn't worsen, what's so bad about small light leak? I'm curious am I missing something here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.