Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smokey_Rasta_SA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Hi Guys,

New to the forums so welcome me in :)

I have had my iPhone 6 64GB since early this year and absolutely loving it.

I have been primarily using 3G since its rather battery efficient compared to the LTE Bandwidth. I was thinking though, what is the use of having this technology if I am not going use it? Ridiculous ...

I quickly read two articles regarding the phones battery consumption when on LTE, they say that is pretty battery friendly than before thanks to new technologies and its on par with Wifi battery usage.

I want to know how true this is :/

I will be self evaluating it during the course of the week but i want to know from the Apple community,

Thanks
Nick

Reactions: 3568358

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
United States
Using only 3G rather than LTE will NOT save you battery. LTE is extremely battery efficient. If anything, using only 3G will kill your battery faster for many non-obvious reasons, which would take long to get into so I'll stop there, haha. LTE is insanely fast and is about 99% as battery efficient as wifi.

Smokey_Rasta_SA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Using only 3G rather than LTE will NOT save you battery. LTE is extremely battery efficient. If anything, using only 3G will kill your battery faster for many non-obvious reasons, which would take long to get into so I'll stop there, haha. LTE is insanely fast and is about 99% as battery efficient as wifi.

Thanks for the information.

Wouldn't it be wiser to stay on 3G if your town hasn't got a substantial LTE Network in place? So ill constantly be switching between bandwidths, killing my battery further.

I would rather be on the speedy LTE since I get 60Mbps download and 10Mbps Upload :)

Reactions: 3568358
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.