Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
i'm running IOS 8.1.3 on my Verizon 6+. i'm not sure whether it's related to this IOS version, but recently i noticed the pictures taken by the rear camera are not focused. everything within 2 ft are clear, anything outside of that look blurry. anyone else have this issue? i'm thinking about taking it to Apple Store. i got my phone last October, so i should be under the one year warranty, correct? in the meantime, i'm backing up my phone and try to restore it to 8.1.2 to see if it makes any difference.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
i'm running IOS 8.1.3 on my Verizon 6+. i'm not sure whether it's related to this IOS version, but recently i noticed the pictures taken by the rear camera are not focused. everything within 2 ft are clear, anything outside of that look blurry. anyone else have this issue? i'm thinking about taking it to Apple Store. i got my phone last October, so i should be under the one year warranty, correct? in the meantime, i'm backing up my phone and try to restore it to 8.1.2 to see if it makes any difference.

Not seeing this issue for me at all.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I just got off online chat with Apple. They had me made a backup, restore phone to factory setting and then restored with the backup I just made. Still seeing the same problem. According to the support guy that ruled out any software issue, next is to take it to an Apple Store for repair or possible replacement. My question is, I didn't buy Apple Care, and I got my phone last October, does that mean the one year factory warranty is still intact and I can ask for a replacement phone if they can't figure out how to fix it?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I just got off online chat with Apple. They had me made a backup, restore phone to factory setting and then restored with the backup I just made. Still seeing the same problem. According to the support guy that ruled out any software issue, next is to take it to an Apple Store for repair or possible replacement. My question is, I didn't buy Apple Care, and I got my phone last October, does that mean the one year factory warranty is still intact and I can ask for a replacement phone if they can't figure out how to fix it?

Your warranty is still in effect until next October. You can get a replacement at no charge for this problem.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah

Could it be possible that you have the AF/AS locked on your camera setting on the iPhone?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Can you elaborate on that more? Where do I find this setting ?

It would say on the screen when taking a photo "AE/AF Lock" (Auto Enhance/Auto Focus).

The guy you chatted with didn't troubleshoot it properly. Wipe the phone via DFU mode, set up as new then try again. If that fixes it, it was corrupt software that was restored when you restored the backup. If it doesn't fix that, then its most likely hardware and I'd call AppleCare (800-APL-CARE in the US) for a replacement or book a Genius appointment at your local Apple Store.

My 6 Plus (Verizon, Received Launch Day) has 8.1.3 installed and the camera has given me no problems.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
It would say on the screen when taking a photo "AE/AF Lock" (Auto Enhance/Auto Focus).

The guy you chatted with didn't troubleshoot it properly. Wipe the phone via DFU mode, set up as new then try again. If that fixes it, it was corrupt software that was restored when you restored the backup. If it doesn't fix that, then its most likely hardware and I'd call AppleCare (800-APL-CARE in the US) for a replacement or book a Genius appointment at your local Apple Store.

My 6 Plus (Verizon, Received Launch Day) has 8.1.3 installed and the camera has given me no problems.

i thought i did wipe it to default factory setting by use the Restore your iphone in itune. after that when it booted up it asked me whether to setup as a new phone or restore from backup, i chose the backup i just created. but yes, i will take it to an apple store tomorrow to see what they say.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
i thought i did wipe it to default factory setting by use the Restore your iphone in itune. after that when it booted up it asked me whether to setup as a new phone or restore from backup, i chose the backup i just created. but yes, i will take it to an apple store tomorrow to see what they say.

You wiped it back to factory settings but put all your data back on it by restoring the backup. Wipe it via DFU mode (search the web for instructions if needed, DFU is my preferred method when dealing with issues like this), set it up as new and try again. DO NOT restore the backup. If you do not feel comfortable doing a DFU mode restore yourself, let the store do it. If that fixes it you'll know immediately in store that it was software. If it doesn't, then you will know its hardware and the store will replace it for you or at very least replace the back camera (not sure if they still do that).

Sounds to me like (if it isn't software) the sensor has gone bad or the image signaling processor isn't working right. Question, has it been exposed to any moisture (like in the bathroom with you while in the shower, etc)?

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
^^^ thanks for the input. if the DFU route works does that mean I can't restore from my recent backup ever because it contained the "bad" software? It has not been exposed to water or any kind of moisture ever.

Bigads

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Here
OP, it sounds like the same problem I had with my handset.
Just take it to an Apple Store if you can. They offered to change the camera module on mine which would take an hour, however I didn't have time to wait so insisted on a handset change, which they agreed with immediately.
New handset cameras are working fine.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
took my phone to Apple Store today, they determined it was a hardware issue. i wanted them to replace the phone but they would only do so if replacing the camera module wouldn't fix it. the new camera works, so no new phone for me, but at least i got the camera working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.