Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarianArg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I was wondering if i would be able to buy a T-mobile contract free iPhone 6 in the upcoming days via store walk-in.
I'll be traveling to New york this Saturday for the next 2 weeks, and this is my only chance to buy it, since they don't sell iPhones in the country i currently live. I've been eyeing the stock avalability on different pages such as iStockNow and the situtation isn't looking good. Do you think this is going to normalize in the span of two weeks?
Thanks a lot!

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I was wondering if i would be able to buy a T-mobile contract free iPhone 6 in the upcoming days via store walk-in.
I'll be traveling to New york this Saturday for the next 2 weeks, and this is my only chance to buy it, since they don't sell iPhones in the country i currently live. I've been eyeing the stock avalability on different pages such as iStockNow and the situtation isn't looking good. Do you think this is going to normalize in the span of two weeks?
Thanks a lot!

I was in an Apple Store today and I overheard someone get told the iPhone 6 and 6 plus is reservation only, if they want one they'll have to check the reservation page for one.
So sounds like that store isn't doing walk-ins yet.

Useless bit of info: the customer then asked if they could buy an iPad instead... I didn't see that as the logical step from not being able to by an iPhone!

MarianArg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
If i buy it via the apple store page and select pick up in store, how long will they hold it for me?

Thanks a lot by the way, you're very helpful. Unfortunately i can't chat with apple since i'm not in the U.S yet nor there is an Apple store where i currently live.

Anastasio

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I didn't decide to buy the new phone until last Wednesday night after I saw I was eligible for an early upgrade from Sprint. I went to the nearest store and they didn't have any. They took orders from people and said it would take a 3-5 days for an order to get to the store if I wanted to be guaranteed the exact model and color I wanted. Otherwise, the guy said every store has been getting some in everyday. So, I decided I would wake up early in the morning and call around town.

On Thursday morning, I called about 8 Sprint stores asking for the 64GB iphone6 in black (space grey). All of the stores had some version, but only the last one had it in black. After a 20min drive, I picked it up by 11am.

So, I'm sure you can find one. Just call around in the morning or early afternoon during the week. Because once I started calling in the eveneing for a specific case color, I'd be on hold for a long time and could tell they didn't like me calling, because they were definitely busy. But, in the morning, everyone was nice when I called. The store I went to didn't have one customer there the whole time I was there, but when I went for cases, I had to wait 45 minutes to just buy a case, even told them when they were checking me in. Said I still have to wait.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

Thanks a lot!

FYI, you can also buy a Verizon version for a full price (non-contract) at the Apple Store and it'll be SIM unlocked. It has the same GSM/LTE bands as the T-Mo version. From my experience, it's easier to find a Verizon version than the TMo version. Here in San Diego I was able to buy a Verizon phone on Sun (3 days after release) after waiting in line for ~1 hr and again the following week when I exchanged it for a different storage.

MarianArg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
FYI, you can also buy a Verizon version for a full price (non-contract) at the Apple Store and it'll be SIM unlocked. It has the same GSM/LTE bands as the T-Mo version. From my experience, it's easier to find a Verizon version than the TMo version. Here in San Diego I was able to buy a Verizon phone on Sun (3 days after release) after waiting in line for ~1 hr and again the following week when I exchanged it for a different storage.

First of all, thanks for the help! I currently have an iPhone 5s (A1533) which works perfectly where i live. I was told the equivalent was the T-Mobile contract free version, since they aren't selling the unlocked version that comes without chip yet. Are you sure the Verizon version will work the same as my iPhone 5s (and the t-mobile 6) ? Sorry that i'm being cautious, i just don't want to be stuck with a $800 paperweight.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
First of all, thanks for the help! I currently have an iPhone 5s (A1533) which works perfectly where i live. I was told the equivalent was the T-Mobile contract free version, since they aren't selling the unlocked version that comes without chip yet. Are you sure the Verizon version will work the same as my iPhone 5s (and the t-mobile 6) ? Sorry that i'm being cautious, i just don't want to be stuck with a $800 paperweight.

I understand your concern. I'm currently using the Verizon version on TMo and have no problems. Check out this site. A1549 (CDMA).

http://www.techwalls.com/differences-between-iphone-6-6-plus-models/

MarianArg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I understand your concern. I'm currently using the Verizon version on TMo and have no problems. Check out this site. A1549 (CDMA).

http://www.techwalls.com/differences-between-iphone-6-6-plus-models/

Do i have to do anything with Verizon or can i just put my foreign sim card and use the phone anywhere i want?
And just to be sure, if there isn't any stock of either of the phones, can i just order any of em at the apple store and come back to pick it up when they say so?
Thank you so much for the patience guys.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
One thing to be cautious about is whether the Verizon one will support Tmobiles LTE network. That used to be a problem with the 5s.

I recommend just checking online for store pickup, or calling the store to check every once in a while instead of lining up. Depending on the size you want, you might get lucky.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
When you buy a Verizon model, it already comes unlocked right out of the box, and all you need to do is put in your carrier sim card and use it.

I purchased an AT&T iPhone 6 Plus as Device Only, and when I plugged it into itunes, it told me that my phone is now unlocked and I can use other carrier.

But I would go with Verizon to be safer.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
iPhone 6 walk-in?

Do i have to do anything with Verizon or can i just put my foreign sim card and use it anywhere i want?

And just to be sure, if there isn't any stock of either of the phones, can i just order any of em at the apple store and come back to pick it up when they say so?

Thank you so much for the patience guys.

There is nothing to do other than inserting the SIM. Make sure you buy either TMo or Verizon from Apple Store for a full price. I think the TMo version is still locked even if you pay full price at the TMo store (maybe same is true with Verizon version if purchased directly from Verizon).

You can't reserve/order at the Apple Store. You can use pick up option for TMo version from Apple online if there is stock at the physical store. However, you can't order/pickup Verizon version online unless you do an upgrade using an existing Verizon acct. So the only option is to check in store stock and buy it at the store for a full price.

----------

One thing to be cautious about is whether the Verizon one will support Tmobiles LTE network. That used to be a problem with the 5s.

Verizon version does support TMo & AT&T LTE bands

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.