Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Hi all. I have experienced issues on the iOS 11.1 betas (on 6s Plus) involving poor frame rates on games (specifically Clash Royale and WWE Champions - the only games I play). This happens at random times, and the frame rate in JUST the games drops to 15-20 FPS, and persists despite force closing the apps and restarting. All other apps run fine.

I am making this post to see if anyone else is experiencing these issues, and to see if there is a fix. Previous research instructed me to force quit all apps from the multitasking screen, yet that only worked once a couple days ago. Just tried it again and it did not resolve the problem.

LA_LEE

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
Los Angeles
Hi all. I have experienced issues on the iOS 11.1 betas (on 6s Plus) involving poor frame rates on games (specifically Clash Royale and WWE Champions - the only games I play). This happens at random times, and the frame rate in JUST the games drops to 15-20 FPS, and persists despite force closing the apps and restarting. All other apps run fine.

I am making this post to see if anyone else is experiencing these issues, and to see if there is a fix. Previous research instructed me to force quit all apps from the multitasking screen, yet that only worked once a couple days ago. Just tried it again and it did not resolve the problem.

The problem is iOS 11 itself. It is a virus created and released to F up older iPhones and force through slowed down graphics, poor battery life, and other "bugs".

Thanks Apple - Not thinking different anymore are you...nope...just want more CASH!

Reactions: Kalloud

Electrolite82

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2016

I have the same issue with GTA Vice City.Totally sucks as I was really enjoying this game.

MOTiiVHATE`

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2015
The problem is iOS 11 itself. It is a virus created and released to F up older iPhones and force through slowed down graphics, poor battery life, and other "bugs".

Thanks Apple - Not thinking different anymore are you...nope...just want more CASH!
I think you’re on to something!

OP, try a restore. I had issues with beta 1 on my 8 Plus, restored when beta 2 dropped as a new phone and haven’t had issues yet.

Reactions: 0928001

Dlgrasso

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
I am having the same issue on 7 plus. Clash Royale has seemingly random frame rate drops but seem to persist until you either stop playing for a while or do a combination of force closing all apps, doing a ram clear (hold power button until slide to right to turn off appears then just hold the home button until the turn off page closes), or restarting the phone. The combination didn’t work this time so I’m doing research to find a fix and came across this post. Im thinking it’s overheating of the graphics processor due to use and holding in your hand but the phone doesn’t feel warm so I’m not sure. Also, it doesn’t seem to be a problem unless you try any other game (clash of clans or Ballz for example). Irritating, and only started happening once upgraded to iOS 11.

Reactions: 0928001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
The fix is don't run betas on your devices you rely on every day.

Thanks cool guy, but that doesn’t answer my question at all. I’ve been running betas on my iPhone for years and never experienced this problem. Don’t even bother with that useless garbage.

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
I am having the same issue on 7 plus. Clash Royale has seemingly random frame rate drops but seem to persist until you either stop playing for a while or do a combination of force closing all apps, doing a ram clear (hold power button until slide to right to turn off appears then just hold the home button until the turn off page closes), or restarting the phone. The combination didn’t work this time so I’m doing research to find a fix and came across this post. Im thinking it’s overheating of the graphics processor due to use and holding in your hand but the phone doesn’t feel warm so I’m not sure. Also, it doesn’t seem to be a problem unless you try any other game (clash of clans or Ballz for example). Irritating, and only started happening once upgraded to iOS 11.

Hate to say this, but I'm glad to see I am not the only one experiencing the issue. The issue begins in one game and carries on to the next one. I completely forgot about the RAM clear method. Clearly a software issue since 2 different model phones are experiencing it, possibly some change in the way the GPU handles things.

Regardless, I've reported the issue through the feedback application.

It’s beta for a reason, cool guy!

Yet again, completely irrelevant to the main topic. The point of a public beta is to report issues you experience to better a product. I have no issues beta testing for a company I respect, and was looking for a temporary workaround for the subject issue while on the beta. Get a clue before you chime in on things and don't assume - this applies in all aspects of life. Take your troll **** elsewhere.

Last edited:

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Do you guys ever wonder that people install beta's because the previous version of the software they have on their phone is garbage? I installed 11.1 on my test iPhone because iOS 11 is garbage...Don't be quick to bash people that install newer software in hopes of a fix

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I can confirm this on my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11.1 Beta 3 although it doesn’t bother me all that much. When playing Asphalt 8, sometimes there are heavy frame drops in the middle of the game which weren’t there before. Been playing this gam for years so I recognise any irregularity immediately. Seems the GPU of the iPhone is throttling under pressure.

I think the main issue with this release is it was designed for the iPhone X which is twice as powerful as the iPhone 7 and it will run good only on that phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can confirm this on my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11.1 Beta 3 although it doesn’t bother me all that much. When playing Asphalt 8, sometimes there are heavy frame drops in the middle of the game which weren’t there before. Been playing this gam for years so I recognise any irregularity immediately. Seems the GPU of the iPhone is throttling under pressure.

I think the main issue with this release is it was designed for the iPhone X which is twice as powerful as the iPhone 7 and it will run good only on that phone.
How is the X twice as powerful as 7?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
How is the X twice as powerful as 7?
According to geekbench it's twice as strong in multi core and while gaming Multi core performance matters. Those cores will also help with the random stuttering throughout the OS. Comparatively the iPhone 7 was just 1500 points higher than 6s Plus.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
According to geekbench it's twice as strong in multi core and while gaming Multi core performance matters. Those cores will also help with the random stuttering throughout the OS. Comparatively the iPhone 7 was just 1500 points higher than 6s Plus.
So basically by one particular measure.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012

GPU performance matters in gaming. That is the CPU. While it helps, it is not the bread and butter, although I think your claim of possible improper throttling may be correct.

perfect_

Suspended
Feb 8, 2016
Wait what?! Apple adding GPU throttling too with iOS 11.1 ?

CPU throttling implemented with iOS 10.2.1

GPU throttling implementing with iOS 11.1 ?

Every iPhone’s average GeekBench score dropped since iOS 10.2.1 Because of this CPU throttling. But no one pay attention.

Apple shouldnt do this to us. I bought this iPhone because it doesnt have any throttling like any other Android phones. I unboxed my device without Cpu/Gpu throttling. If Apple wants Cpu/Gpu throttling than should implement it to new devices. My iPhone already slow enought.

Apple keep saying this to me;
Do you wanna use fast iPhone?
Give me your money! Buy new one.
Do you wanna play games smoothly?
Give me your money! Buy new one.

- iOS gets slow down with Cpu throttling.

- Animations laggy and we cant even disable.

- I cant play games smoothly with Cpu/Gpu throttling ?

- I cant use my iPhone faster.

- I need to wait more than ever for App openings.

- iOS 11 it self has bugs.

We are going to where with this Apple product?

“It just works.”

I am not too sure for now Gpu Throttling is coming or not. I need to test by myself. My some games already crappy on iOS 11.0.3 like OffRoad Drive Desert. But Cpu throttling is definitely exist.

Well Apple, i experienced a lot of things with ur device. I learned ur some tricks. Apple’s perfect image slowly slipping away from me.

I remembered this video.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.