Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mello.Living

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Michigan
Purchased iPhone 7+ from Apple Store and used on AT&T for several months. Ended my AT&T plan and was using voip calls for awhile. Decided to get cellular service again but saw Verizon had much better deal so went with their service.

During service signup on their website, their compatability checker had me enter IMEI from iPhone 7+ and it said it wouldn't work on their network. So I purchased a new iPhone 7+ during the Verizon signup process and was going to trade in my original iPhone as part of the deal.

So after using new iPhone 7+ on Verizon (all works well) I see some posts that make me now believe I could have activated new iPhone 7+ on Verizon and transferred the SIM card to my original iPhone.

Is this the case? Would everything have worked? I have both phones in my hands right now as haven't sent in the original yet for trade in.

I'd like to avoid taking the hit on cost of a new 7+ ! Paying a restocking fee is much preferred lol.

Thx!

Mello.Living

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Michigan
Just did this 2d days ago (Mar 29) and they offered $350. Its in great condition and had a case on it so if no flaws.

I use the camera a lot and really dig the depth of field and hi quality for vids/images. So I didn't want to wait.

I saw Verizon has immediate upgrade offers on various phones - AT&T had upgrade eligibility windows.

So far am very impressed by Verizon and glad I made the switch.

AppleDogs

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2017
How did you get the AT&T phone? Target, Best Buy sell only the sim free model regardless of your carrier. AT&T sells the GSM model if you bought directly from them.

If yours is model A1661, that is the CDMA/GSM model and works for all carriers. Apple SIM free/Verizon/Sprint

If yours is model A1784, that is the GSM model for AT&T/T-Mobile.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

EDIT: If you have the A1784, you are using VoLTE for calls on Verizon. You will not have voice calls if you are out of an LTE area without the CDMA model phone.

EDIT: Just reread your post that you bought at Apple store. Which model did Apple give you?

Last edited:

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
Just did this 2d days ago (Mar 29) and they offered $350. Its in great condition and had a case on it so if no flaws.

I use the camera a lot and really dig the depth of field and hi quality for vids/images. So I didn't want to wait.

I saw Verizon has immediate upgrade offers on various phones - AT&T had upgrade eligibility windows.

So far am very impressed by Verizon and glad I made the switch.
Thanks for the info. That's a pretty big hit to take. Glad to hear you're happy with Verizon, I never had a problem with them back when I had them pre-iPhone days.

Mello.Living

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Michigan
How did you get the AT&T phone? Target, Best Buy sell only the sim free model regardless of your carrier. AT&T sells the GSM model if you bought directly from them.

If yours is model A1661, that is the CDMA/GSM model and works for all carriers. Apple SIM free/Verizon/Sprint

If yours is model A1784, that is the GSM model for AT&T/T-Mobile.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

EDIT: If you have the A1784, you are using VoLTE for calls on Verizon. You will not have voice calls if you are out of an LTE area without the CDMA model phone.

EDIT: Just reread your post that you bought at Apple store. Which model did Apple give you?

Yea, I went into Apple store last October and they offered me a trade in for my 6+ at the time so I took them up on it. I can't recall the exact model, just checked settings.... its MN562LL/A. I was using Google voip by then, so told them I wasn't hung up on AT&T. trying to recall if that was a factor with how they provided me the phone... I told them I may return but wasn't sure.

What's interesting though is I checked on Verison's website first - their link where they have you enter your IMEI and it flat out said it wasn't compatible.
[doublepost=1490969010][/doublepost]
Thanks for the info. That's a pretty big hit to take. Glad to hear you're happy with Verizon, I never had a problem with them back when I had them pre-iPhone days.

It is indeed a big hit! lol which is why its been nagging me and wonder if I should try to move the SIM card and see what happens. I can pay the $35 for restocking at this point if it would work but didn't want to screw anything up.

Mello.Living

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Michigan
Yea, I went into Apple store last October and they offered me a trade in for my 6+ at the time so I took them up on it. I can't recall the exact model, just checked settings.... its MN562LL/A. I was using Google voip by then, so told them I wasn't hung up on AT&T. trying to recall if that was a factor with how they provided me the phone... I told them I may return but wasn't sure.

What's interesting though is I checked on Verison's website first - their link where they have you enter your IMEI and it flat out said it wasn't compatible.
[doublepost=1490969010][/doublepost]

It is indeed a big hit! lol which is why its been nagging me and wonder if I should try to move the SIM card and see what happens. I can pay the $35 for restocking at this point if it would work but didn't want to screw anything up.
[doublepost=1490970665][/doublepost]Yup, its there. Nice tip. Apple is so discreet.

Its 1784. I probably told them AT&T would be my carrier again at some point. Damn. That's a buzzkill.

I saw the other post on swappa... will check that out. Gazelle offered same as Verizon so was just going to trade it in and get something for it.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
[doublepost=1490970665][/doublepost]Yup, its there. Nice tip. Apple is so discreet.

Its 1784. I probably told them AT&T would be my carrier again at some point. Damn. That's a buzzkill.

I saw the other post on swappa... will check that out. Gazelle offered same as Verizon so was just going to trade it in and get something for it.
If you don't mind the hassle, you will get more locally. Either Craigslist or Offer up.

Reactions: Applejuiced

AppleDogs

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2017
The A1661/A1784 is really tiny on the back. :)
[doublepost=1490975716][/doublepost]Target has a $300 gift card (AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint; $350 for new lines on Verizon only) till tomorrow if you need an A1661 model. There is a really long thread on another forum site about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.