Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tackyfacky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Just noticed this with my iPhone. It seems like one side has more of an edge or is less smooth. It's particularly noticeable when I drag my thumb off left edge of the phone and compare it to the right edge. The left edge seems to be rougher or noticeably more raised, or some other part like the screen is more lifted. Anyone else have this issue? I have a matte black iPhone 7, if it turns out to be specific to certain models. Yeah, it is a minor thing, but I did notice it without looking for it.

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 265
  • LSide-LQ.jpg
    LSide-LQ.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 246
  • RSide-LQ.jpg
    RSide-LQ.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 238

Tackyfacky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
I've attached some pics in the original post, for those curious. If you open the images in their own tab by right clicking, you can zoom in. Left side has more of a gap. I also took a pic of the bottom to compare left and right side there, where you can see a difference as well.

I do wonder if this has an effect on waterproofing, or if it's little enough not to matter.

Tackyfacky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Good enough for me. Seems like I'm just a bit too paranoid.

Thanks for the responses.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Just noticed this with my iPhone. It seems like one side has more of an edge or is less smooth. It's particularly noticeable when I drag my thumb off left edge of the phone and compare it to the right edge. The left edge seems to be rougher or noticeably more raised, or some other part like the screen is more lifted. Anyone else have this issue? I have a matte black iPhone 7, if it turns out to be specific to certain models. Yeah, it is a minor thing, but I did notice it without looking for it.

As I read these types of threads, I can't help wondering what it's like being the child, wife, husband under constant micro scrutiny: my husband works but he's got a scar on his upper thigh, my kid functions but compared with other kids he's slow, I think my wife works great but I could get a better trade-in price if I paid for a nose job......... Sorry, really no offence, my mind wanders.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Unacceptable. They've been making the same damn phone for what, 3 years now? These should be coming out perfect

Out of the millions of iPhones successfully produced, it happens where a unit may arrive with a defect. It happens. But it sounds as if you would have no issue perfecting the iPhone and the magnitude it takes to mass Produce a device, which most have no issues from the time when they receive it.

Tackyfacky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
As I read these types of threads, I can't help wondering what it's like being the child, wife, husband under constant micro scrutiny: my husband works but he's got a scar on his upper thigh, my kid functions but compared with other kids he's slow, I think my wife works great but I could get a better trade-in price if I paid for a nose job......... Sorry, really no offence, my mind wanders.

I had another device (not Apple) where I ignored something similar. Started off very slightly, but when the adhesive failed, the screen kinda just popped out. I took it apart and noticed the battery bulged to twice the original size. While resolved, it's not like I had anything to lose by starting this thread.

Reactions: nnoble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.