iPhone 7 too loud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jyby, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Jyby macrumors 6502

I just got off FaceTime audio with a friend... It was awful, every sound she made was like nails on a chalkboard. From crumbling plastic to a small cough.. She has noise cancellation on on her iPhone 7.. My volume is at 75%. My phone sounds like the treble is way too high, almost all sound peaks and is unpleasant. My phone also vibrates when about 50%. If I put the sound any lower I can't hear the talkers. Does anyone else experience this?

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

I wish I had this problem; I find volume too quiet on last 3 iPhones I've had

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Isn't it terrible that Apple only allows you to adjust the volume between off, 50% and 75%?

Wait...never mind...you can turn it down more. Why not just do that?

4. Jyby thread starter macrumors 6502

Well as I said, if I turn it down more it's too quiet. 50% and above the audio is just piercing.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It just shows that no matter what Apple does, some will be unhappy.

6. Jyby thread starter macrumors 6502

Or maybe this is a non-functional problem with my device...

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not blaming you, just stating facts. Hope you get it resolved but you may not be able too. I do FaceTime every week it works well for me.

8. Jyby thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not disagreeing with your statement.. This is off topic, but I'm certain Apple designed a product that is pleasant for the majority of people and yeah some are unhappy. Albeit my issue is definitely objective to some degree.. My iPhone speakers sound a bit harsh.

iPhone 7, louder? Yes. Better than iPhone 6, I'm not too sure I'd say that.

Maybe others think the iPhone sound is a bit striking when above 50%. I've no tools to measure the decibels/intensity..

9. FunkyTang macrumors 6502

10. Jyby thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe loud is the wrong way to describe it. I like loud, but on the/my iPhone 7 when it's above 50% volume the audio peaks and has too much treble. It makes call quality terrible on speaker phone.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I guess Apple does the best they can.

Does your phone sound the same when you use the speaker phone in a phone call? My speaker sounds the same no matter if on phone or FaceTime. Is your friend the only one who sounds bad or do all sound bad? I know sometimes I make a phone call without the speaker phone and the sound quality is terrible, but that is a network issue. Anyway I hope you get it sorted out.

12. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

You are implying Apple is perfect and some people will never be happy.

Perhaps Apple isn't perfect and makes mistakes like software bugs which affect some users.

13. Newtons Apple, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

People are not perfect either. Both can be the problem.

People make mistakes, Apple just does the best they can to make to most happy. They are not perfect, are you? You seem to always have a bone to pick with Apple.

14. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

I kinda get what your saying here. I put a call on the speakers the other day and it seemed to either distort slightly or if I turned it down just a little was occasionally hard to hear .. it was very hard to get the volume just right ..the balance between too quiet and slightly distorted.
    Strangely though call quality is fine when taking calls normally off speaker and the speakers are fine when watching videos or playing music. Could have just been the quality of that particular call, I'd have to test it more, but your comment does remind me of the call I put on speaker the other day.

Cheers

15. Jyby thread starter macrumors 6502

This is actually really close to my experience

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

As Far as audio quality goes with phone calls, it could be due to the reception of the call.

But as far as your general complaint about the iPhone audio. The speakers are fairly loud, there is some vibration when the speakers are almost at Max, but that's likely with the aluminum chassis being a thinner metal. Sound is going to vibrate through the body of the phone. Very similar to how the iPad Air 2 is with the speakers. But nonetheless, I think the volume on my 7+ and speaker overall quality is excellent.

17. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Clearly your speaker is defective.

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

FaceTime audio is much higher fidelity than a regular non-HD phone call. So if you're e.g. opening a bag of chips or putting tape on a shipping box, the sound is ear destroying to the person on the other end of the phone. That's because more of the audio and more of the frequencies are transmitted at the higher bitrate afforded by FaceTime audio.

Bottom line is you need to be aware of what you're doing other than speaking when on a FaceTime call. Tell your friend to stop doing household chores etc while on FT, or call you not on FT.