Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pelea

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
i'm currently comparing my iphone 7 to my new iphone 8 and i've noticed that the iphone 8 is significantly darker than the iphone 7 on full brightness.

i've checked the following

- night shift
- auto brightness
- true tone
- reduce white point

and all settings are off on both phones.

Does the iphone 8 have a dimmer display than the 7..?

Reactions: DcGamer05

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
i'm currently comparing my iphone 7 to my new iphone 8 and i've noticed that the iphone 8 is significantly darker than the iphone 7 on full brightness.

i've checked the following

- night shift
- auto brightness
- true tone
- reduce white point

and all settings are off on both phones.

Does the iphone 8 have a dimmer display than the 7..?

Hope not. I thought the 7 screen, despite marketing hype, was not as bright as the previous generation.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Agreed, it's not as bright. I compared multiple ones at the store. Even changing true tone, auto bright, etc...it did not look as bright as the 7. And yes, the 6 was the brightest out of all of them.

Reactions: Kavik

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Under the same criteria as the OP, mine is about the same brightness as my SE, maybe just a tad more. I want to say my SE wasn't as bright as my 6 before that, but I don't recall.

MadeByApple

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
I had the same problem when I updated to iOS 11. Make sure you have “reduce white point” turned off

To check do this

Settings —> General —> accessibility —> display accommodations —> make sure reduce white point is toggled off.

It was automatically turned on my phone.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
this is actually great news. if my wife gets the 8. her phone wont keep me up all night as she likes the brightness at 100 and screen up

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
this is actually great news. if my wife gets the 8. her phone wont keep me up all night as she likes the brightness at 100 and screen up

If your wife deliberately uses her phone at 100% brightness in a dark room, whilst you're trying to sleep, you may have a conversation to have.

Unless you're joking and it went over my head. :D

Pelea

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
My 7+ and 8+ screens look very much the same a bit better as far as color but that is is personal preference.

so you're saying iphone 8s have a darker display than 8+s? (i'm talking about 100% brightness, not 50% or 0%)

Last edited by a moderator:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
so you're saying iphone 8s have a darker display than 8+s? (i'm talking about 100% brightness, not 50% or 0%)

I am saying my 7+ and 8+ screens with all defaults adjustments off and both at 70% screen brightness, look very close to the same. I prefer the color on the 8+ a but more but that is just my preference.

Pelea

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
I am saying my 7+ and 8+ screens with all defaults adjustments off and both at 70% screen brightness, look very close to the same. I prefer the color on the 8+ a but more but that is just my preference.

for the 3rd time, i'm talking about 100% brightness

Last edited by a moderator:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I just slid the brightness level from all the way from the left (dark) to all the way to the right (on high) and it’s very bright. Absolutely no issues. I have to tone it down quite a bit

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Kavik

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Hope not. I thought the 7 screen, despite marketing hype, was not as bright as the previous generation.

Agreed, it's not as bright. I compared multiple ones at the store. Even changing true tone, auto bright, etc...it did not look as bright as the 7. And yes, the 6 was the brightest out of all of them.

This is the primary reason why I never upgraded my 6 to the 6s or 7, despite my desire for 3D touch and the camera upgrades. My iPhone 6 has such an incredible and bright display, it's hands down the best display I've ever had on a portable device. Every time I've compared it to a next gen iPhone I've been extremely disappointed with the dimmer displays and washed out color.

Sad to hear that the 8 is even worse than the 7.

Reactions: clauzzz203

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
This is the primary reason why I never upgraded my 6 to the 6s or 7, despite my desire for 3D touch and the camera upgrades. My iPhone 6 has such an incredible and bright display, it's hands down the best display I've ever had on a portable device. Every time I've compared it to a next gen iPhone I've been extremely disappointed with the dimmer displays and washed out color.

Sad to hear that the 8 is even worse than the 7.

I too had a 6 with just an amazing display. Super bright, colors really popped. My 8 panel is nice, and is nicer than my SE, but it's not as much of an improvement over the SE as the SE was a downgrade from the 6, so I guess the 8 is not as nice as the 6.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I too had a 6 with just an amazing display. Super bright, colors really popped. My 8 panel is nice, and is nicer than my SE, but it's not as much of an improvement over the SE as the SE was a downgrade from the 6, so I guess the 8 is not as nice as the 6.
Sounds like you are really used to what you had before, and having a harder time adjusting to the calibration of the new phone.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Sounds like you are really used to what you had before, and having a harder time adjusting to the calibration of the new phone.

I'm still pretty happy with the 8, has the most even back lighting of any phone I've had and no nasty tint gradients and is definitely better than my SE in terms of color saturation, black levels, as well as being a tiny bit brighter. But I do admit that the SE screen was so bad compared to the 6 in terms of colors and brightness that I expected the screen on the 8 to blow it away like the 6, but that isn't the case. Oh well, my 8 is still a keeper for sure - got a good one in the Apple quality control lottery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.