Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sodaNine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2018
Florida
Hi New to the forum

So I currently rocking an old nexus 5x. It hasn't boot looped on me (yet) but its starting to get laggy and a little flakey so I'm worried its going to die.

I've been thinking of making the switch to iphone for many reasons I'm the only one in the family that has a droid, googles data privacy and apples better support.

The dilemma is whether to wait for the new phones September/October or just bite the bullet and get one now. The iphone 8 seems like a good phone the only thing that puts me off is the old probably now going to be phased out design. As much as I love the iphone x design dropping 1k on a phone that could be replaced in 4-5 months seems silly.

Opinions welcome :)

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Its that time of the year that it's hard to offer buying advice. As you said Apple will surely update their phones in a few months. If your phone still works, I'd probably just wait it out a few more months. Have you considered a used phone to tide you over?

That said I do like my iPhone 8.

sodaNine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2018
Florida
I have considered I used phone but rather just keep the cash for the new purchase as I don't want the hassle of selling the old phone.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd wait until your Nexus dies or becomes unusable before buying a new iPhone--unless you get a good carrier deal and don't pay full price.

If paying full freight then wait.

Reactions: davidmartindale

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Questions are: what is your preference and budget? Is there current carrier promotion? Do you like any of the recent rumor about the upcoming iPhone lineup?

Most rumor suggests an iPhone X design with the notch and possibly a cheaper budget LCD model priced range of the 8/8+. There will be a slight price slash for the 8/8+ possibly $100 off once new iPhone debut in Sept.

If you don't like any of the design of the X, you can get it now or get it at a discount if you can wait 4 months. Carriers will often have promotions, even when new iPhone release. Wait and see the possibility then decide if you want to stick to 8 or newer cheaper X model

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you are going to move to iPhone then this is a conumdrum you are going to have to get used to.

No matter what it's called, Apple releases a new phone every year. And every year a new version of iOS is released right along with it. And every year someone asks if they should wait for the next iPhone.

While it's getting close to the next cycle and the advice is to wait, here's the thing…what if the new phone you waited for is more expensive than you planned or for whatever reason you just don't like it? What if the next version of iOS is buggy as hell (as has been the case since iOS 7)?

What's out there right now can be tested by you in any number of places. If you can afford to wait then great. If the new phone isn't what you want it means the current phones are price reduced. But if you need a new phone right now then go with something current.

But, waiting to see what Apple is going to launch on the hope that it's something incredible or something that you will really want is often a disappointing exercise. Since the iPhone 6 and 6+ Apple has been all about incremental upgrades. Sometimes it's worth it (to some people) but most times it really hasn't been.

Just my opinion.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
In your position and what you said, waiting would be more logical since your phone is currently working and you done’t want an out dated design in 6 months and you don’t want to drop $1000.

Next gen X phones won’t be premium built and have a lower price tag while you get the new UI. It will be a huge upgrade for you.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In your position and what you said, waiting would be more logical since your phone is currently working and you done’t want an out dated design in 6 months and you don’t want to drop $1000.
This always gets me. :D

So what do you call people with a one year old launch day iPhone a year later?

It's the same thing every year.

Reactions: Ladybug

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
This always gets me. :D

So what do you call people with a one year old launch day iPhone a year later?

It's the same thing every year.

I’m basing my decision off the thread starter not wanting the 8 and not wanting to spend a grand. Since we know there are going to be other options like the SE when the new phones come out at a lower price it would be more prudent and his phone is still working he isn’t being forced into a deciding now.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I have considered I used phone but rather just keep the cash for the new purchase as I don't want the hassle of selling the old phone.

Second hand (much cheaper) X to keep for longer than 4-5 months? You're going to lose money anyway, better get the phone you want most.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi New to the forum

So I currently rocking an old nexus 5x. It hasn't boot looped on me (yet) but its starting to get laggy and a little flakey so I'm worried its going to die.

I've been thinking of making the switch to iphone for many reasons I'm the only one in the family that has a droid, googles data privacy and apples better support.

The dilemma is whether to wait for the new phones September/October or just bite the bullet and get one now. The iphone 8 seems like a good phone the only thing that puts me off is the old probably now going to be phased out design. As much as I love the iphone x design dropping 1k on a phone that could be replaced in 4-5 months seems silly.

You got to remember that all iPhones will be replaced sooner or later.

Depending on your budget, YOU should make the choice, not strangers on a forum!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Next gen X phones won’t be premium built and have a lower price tag while you get the new UI. It will be a huge upgrade for you.

Since when does Apple not build a premium phone? I would say the construction and materials they use are some of the best in the smart phone industry. Not sure what you mean by they ‘Won’t be premium built.’ Even with the 6.1 LCD iPhone, it still will use solid aluminum construction if that’s what they choose to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.