Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
So for the past few days now my sms messaging on my iPhone 4S (AT&T) has been working incorrectly. Some problems I've been having are not receiving texts at all (people for sure sent the text however i did not receive it), my phone has not been sending messages although it does not give me any error messages and the sending bar loads fully then disappears, or I have been receiving texts extremely delayed (i received a text sent at about 7:30 this morning at 3:30 in the afternoon). I restored my phone and the problems were still occuring. So then I reset all of the settings. I'm not 100% sure these problems are still occuring after the settings reset though. Any suggestions? Should I take my phone into Apple or AT&T?

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
talk to at&t, it could be on their end.

do imessages go out ok?

imessages have been working on and off....today i was texting my friend who has an iphone and they usually go as imessages but they were being sent as text....same with another friend of mine, but his phone is more messed up than mine so it might be on his side of things

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
they usually go as imessages but they were being sent as text

if the recipient doesn't have signal, and the iMessage can't go through, it will default to SMS after a certain amount of time.
I run into this occasionally as i live in new york, and people will be out of signal range on the subway.

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
if the recipient doesn't have signal, and the iMessage can't go through, it will default to SMS after a certain amount of time.
I run into this occasionally as i live in new york, and people will be out of signal range on the subway.
Yes I know, but this is not the case as I live in a suburban area and so do they, so I know they definitely have service.......I took my phone to the AT&T store and the lady said that the problem was most likely occurring because I was recently down in Tennessee and there was very little service. She said that because of that, my iPhone automatically changed some settings and that they should've automatically changed back once I got back home....so she played around with some of the settings and said that it should be fixed, and if not then I should take it to the apple store.....of course, with my luck I'm still having problems with it....time to go see a genius.

jlmurphy3

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Virginia
Had same problem. Check Settings/Messages/Receive At and see if your Phone is stuck on "verifying." I had to turn off iMessage and then back on, and the Phone completed "verifying" and allowed receiving at the phone number and the email addresses associated with Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.