Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gurtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
It only makes sense to me.

I am assuming that there actually is a chance that the iPad includes a camera and that they are going to announce it before pre-orders this Friday. That would mean that it would be announced tomorrow (Tuesday), Wednesday, or Thursday.

Knowing Apple lately, they probably wouldn't just slip that in, they would have some sort of press event to get the word out. But, a whole press event just for the inclusion of a camera? Unlikely....unless there was another announcement this due this month like, oh say, iPhone OS 4.0.

FYI- iPhone OS 2.0 announced Thursday, March 6 2008
iPhone OS 3.0 announced Tuesday, March 17 2009

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
It only makes sense to me.

I am assuming that there actually is a chance that the iPad includes a camera and that they are going to announce it before pre-orders this Friday. That would mean that it would be announced tomorrow (Tuesday), Wednesday, or Thursday.

Knowing Apple lately, they probably wouldn't just slip that in, they would have some sort of press event to get the word out. But, a whole press event just for the inclusion of a camera? Unlikely....unless there was another announcement this due this month like, oh say, iPhone OS 4.0.

FYI- iPhone OS 2.0 announced Thursday, March 6 2008
iPhone OS 3.0 announced Tuesday, March 17 2009

A quick sneekly addition of a camera?....... Dreams are free.

Gurtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
4.0 is going to be BIG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history

Based on when big features were released and when just bug fixes type stuff was released I figured out the following:

-2.0 took approximately 2 months of development (to get to beta)
-3.0 took approximately 4 months of development (to get to beta)
-speculatively 4.0 took/is taking approximately 9 months of development (to get to beta)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I think the event will be held next week to announce it. Developers should be getting Beta 1 of 4.0 then. It I see that SAME BORING homescreen, I am going to screaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!:mad::mad:

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
You're forgetting that 3.2 for the iPad has probably taken up a lot of developer time that would have gone into 4.0.

So the old times for major releases don't mean anything.

4.0 will get here when it gets here.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
You're forgetting that 3.2 for the iPad has probably taken up a lot of developer time that would have gone into 4.0.

it better hurry up though cause its taking to long..... at least for me :p

Gurtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
why did you start a new thread about "basically" the same thing as your other thread you started 20 minutes ago? ANOTHER, ANOTHER 4.0 thread!!

:rolleyes:

Haha well sometimes I get thinking and one thing leads to another. The last thread was about an announcement this one is about the "size."

3.2 for the iPad took up most of that time.

Very true. Technically, iPhone OS or not, iPad is a separate device and I'm not sure if that "counts." But what do I know.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Haha well sometimes I get thinking and one thing leads to another. The last thread was about an announcement this one is about the "size."

Very true. Technically, iPhone OS or not, iPad is a separate device and I'm not sure if that "counts." But what do I know.

They did rewrite all the major iPhone OS apps for the iPad right? That took some time im sure.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I think the event will be held next week to announce it. Developers should be getting Beta 1 of 4.0 then. It I see that SAME BORING homescreen, I am going to screaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!:mad::mad:

Exactly. When I watch steve unveil the iPad and I saw the EXACT SAME HOMESCREEN as on the iPhone , i was shocked lol. With all that screen realestate that could have done something interesting with the home screen.

I certainly hope iPhone OS 4.0 is going to be announced next week.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
3.2 for the iPad took up most of that time.
Oh of course. We all know that Apple doesn't develop more than one OS at a time. They worked on 3.2, when that's done they'll start planning 4.0 and when that's done they'll start planning the next OS X.

Oh by the way, I'm being sarcastic.

PS: is everyone in this thread really dense enough to believe they would only work on one OS at a time?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Oh of course. We all know that Apple doesn't develop more than one OS at a time. They worked on 3.2, when that's done they'll start planning 4.0 and when that's done they'll start planning the next OS X.

Oh by the way, I'm being sarcastic.

PS: is everyone in this thread really dense enough to believe they would only work on one OS at a time?

Right but most teams of programmers work on one application. I'm sure Apple has a couple OSX Dev groups and iPhone Dev groups. It's possible that Apple only has one team dedicated to iPhone OS, but even so I would be willing to bet that there has at least been some progress towards 4.0 made.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Right but most teams of programmers work on one application.
Oh really? You work for Apple? Or do you lead their programming teams?

I'm sure Apple has a couple OSX Dev groups and iPhone Dev groups.
Of course. They wouldn't be where they are today if they only had one dev team.

It's possible that Apple only has one team dedicated to iPhone OS
No it isn't.

but even so I would be willing to bet that there has at least been some progress towards 4.0 made.
Of course. The next iPhone will be an A+ update.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
No, not exactly. ;)

You're saying that a home screen on the iPhone without wallpaper is the "EXACT SAME HOMESCREEN" as the home screen on the iPad with wallpaper?

Fair enough. you got me on the background image :p

but you get my point though.

and i bet you're going to be standing in line for this thing , arent you? :p

Gurtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Right but most teams of programmers work on one application. I'm sure Apple has a couple OSX Dev groups and iPhone Dev groups. It's possible that Apple only has one team dedicated to iPhone OS, but even so I would be willing to bet that there has at least been some progress towards 4.0 made.

They also break it up into hardware. The iPhone team, the iPod touch team, and I'm sure the iPad team. Not to mention that the applications are in Objective-C and theoretically with a little help even an OS X programmer could rewrite Safari for iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.