Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just got an iPhone… it was having some issues where settings were not getting saved; since it is a new phone I figured I'd perform a restore.

Except it won't restore. I keeps giving me the same error message. I know there is nothing wrong with the ipsw file, my computer, nor the cable since I can successfully restore another iPhone with no issues. It's just this phone.

Never had a problem like this before, not with older iPhones nor iPod touches.

So what are my possible solutions? Let's just say exchanging the phone is not the easiest thing to do.

Here is the error message:
mr_iphonecantrestore-073109.png

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Have you tried googling the error? Type it into the search exactly as it is in the popup box and you'll get all kinds of hits. That's how I've always found my way around errors like that.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Have you tried googling the error? Type it into the search exactly as it is in the popup box and you'll get all kinds of hits. That's how I've always found my way around errors like that.

Yeah I tried many solutions posted including changing USB ports, different user accounts, different computers, using a Windows machine; nothing is working.

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
Likely, you aren't doing the restore in DFU mode (DFU mode is different from recovery mode). DFU mode will have a black screen while recovery mode will show a connect to iTunes logo:

URL: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/06/recovery-mode-and-dfu-mode/

Also, you mentioned that you've used the ipsw file with another iphone. I'm not sure what model iphone you're using but the firmware is slightly different depending on iphone model and is named accordingly (ie. 1,1 = 2G; 1,2 = 3G; 2,1 = 3GS).

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
found this on macworld:

"If that doesn’t fix the problem, the most likely cause is that one or more of the .ipsw files, located in your user folder/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates folder, are damaged. The solution is to delete the files and try the Restore command again. New copies of the files will download and the process should proceed as expected."

The link:

http://www.macworld.com/article/132218/2008/02/0222bugsnfixes.html

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Are you pointing the restore to a custom .ipsw file, or just restoring directly from iTunes?

Directly in iTunes.

Do you get the same error with both DFU Mode, and Recovery? And is it a 3G or 2G?

Both on a 3GS

Likely, you aren't doing the restore in DFU mode (DFU mode is different from recovery mode). DFU mode will have a black screen while recovery mode will show a connect to iTunes logo:

URL: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/06/recovery-mode-and-dfu-mode/

Also, you mentioned that you've used the ipsw file with another iphone. I'm not sure what model iphone you're using but the firmware is slightly different depending on iphone model and is named accordingly (ie. 1,1 = 2G; 1,2 = 3G; 2,1 = 3GS).

Yes I tried both methods. I tried it in the plug-into-iTunes mode and the ones with a blank screen; doesn't work either way.

And the other phone is a 3GS as well.

found this on macworld:

"If that doesn’t fix the problem, the most likely cause is that one or more of the .ipsw files, located in your user folder/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates folder, are damaged. The solution is to delete the files and try the Restore command again. New copies of the files will download and the process should proceed as expected."

The link:

http://www.macworld.com/article/132218/2008/02/0222bugsnfixes.html

Tried that already as well and it didn't work. Tried it on multiple computers as well, and 3 new cables.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So I think you have honestly exhausted all of your options. Why is exchanging it "not an easy thing to do"?

Because the phone is factory unlocked from New Zealand and I'm not in New Zealand.

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes? Not sure it will work, but you've already gone this far...

I tried that as well and it didn't work either.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
This might be really stupid advice but did you try recovering the phone on a different computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.