Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
Hey guys, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on these two methods of paying for an iPhone. I've normally buy an iPhone at full price and then sell them with the intent in 2 years but for the past 3 it has been EVERY year. So is the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program just EASIER in general if I go this route? Or are there benefits to paying full out then and there.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
The iPhone Upgrade Program is just easier to just ship it back to them or take it to the store to close out the old loan but each upgrade basically is a new loan that can impact your credit score. The return iPhone must be in excellent physical condition or else you'll will need to pay to repair the device using its already included AppleCare deductible. AppleCare is required for all IUP. You do need to get preapproved for each upgrade and pay the remaining to meet at least 12 months payment for the upgrade. If you upgrade, its basically equivalent to loaning or renting the device with incidental coverage. It may get you to upgrade each year by paying about the same amount or just a little higher.

Paying with credit card give you utmost control with no obligation just to resell the device at or higher than trade in value or at resell value towards a new iPhone. It just the hassle to sell and if you're trying to sell it at its highest value possible. If you purchase AppleCare, you can get a prorated refund depending on the usage.

I pay with credit card using Barclays Apple Reward to finance the purchase while giving me the control to resell it or trade it in depending what is the resell or trade in value.

Last edited:

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
The iPhone Upgrade Program is just easier to just ship it back to them or take it to the store to close out the old loan but each upgrade basically is a new loan that can impact your credit score. The return iPhone must be in excellent physical condition or else you'll will need to pay to repair the device using its already included AppleCare deductible. AppleCare is required for all IUP. You do need to get preapproved for each upgrade and pay the remaining to meet at least 12 months payment for the upgrade. If you upgrade, its basically equivalent to loaning or renting the device with incidental coverage. It may get you to upgrade each year by paying about the same amount or just a little higher.

Paying with credit card give you utmost control with no obligation just to resell the device at or higher than trade in value or at resell value towards a new iPhone. It just the hassle to sell and if you're trying to sell it at its highest value possible. If you purchase AppleCare, you can get a prorated refund depending on the usage.

I pay with credit card using Barclays Apple Reward to finance the purchase while giving me the control to resell it or trade it in depending what is the resell or trade in value.

Also don’t forget some credit cards offer free extended warranty with full price purchase but not installment plans. Check your credit card benefits details.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
My first using iUP program. Normally I pay on my own card at full price. However I upgrade each year. With practically every place accepting trade instead, seems like the value has dropped. Dealing with eBay or CL can be a hassle. I’m not sure if the resale value will much higher than the 50% Apple offers. Only time will tell. But what Apple offers is a much more convenient way for trade ins.

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
I was happy with IUP when i used it, but now i cant due to being a prepaid customer :(

I guess the barclays option would be okay, but i dont know what to expect the monthly payment to be for a 64gb XS? I dont want to end up paying $100 a month for it lol. Around $50 is do-able

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.