Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Anyone able to schedule their iPhone X for pickup this Friday before delivery attempt using Fed Ex Delivery Manager? Not sure Fed Ex allows for this with Apple product launches like UPS does. Thanks.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I have done it a couple times in the past. I just call them once I have the tracking number.

macgeek01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
I have done it a couple times in the past. I just call them once I have the tracking number.

Thanks for the info. I was unable to arrange for pickup over the phone and also unable with Fed Ex delivery manager.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Anyone able to schedule their iPhone X for pickup this Friday before delivery attempt using Fed Ex Delivery Manager? Not sure Fed Ex allows for this with Apple product launches like UPS does. Thanks.
Just checking for consistency, you pre-ordered from a carrier and not from Apple directly right?

macgeek01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Just checking for consistency, you pre-ordered from a carrier and not from Apple directly right?

Correct, but I haven’t seen anyone post that has been able to set up for pickup with Fed Ex that ordered from Apple either.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Correct, but I haven’t seen anyone post that has been able to set up for pickup with Fed Ex that ordered from Apple either.
It wouldn’t matter where you ordered it from. A FedEx package is a FedEx package no matter where it comes from. You should be able to call them in a few days once it ships. There’s no reason they should tell you no. Unless the tracking number has only just been created, but the shipment hasn’t actually gone out yet. You’re not really being very clear on why you haven’t been able to set up a hold. If the 1-800 number can’t find your info, just wait a couple days. You can also call your nearest FedEx sorting facility during business hours.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Probably very tight restrictions from Apple. Like it has to be signed for though with the 5 I heard the box hit the doorstep. I never actually saw the driver. I had my Air Pods held at a local FedEx/Kinkos but I've never tried with a phone before.

macgeek01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
It wouldn’t matter where you ordered it from. A FedEx package is a FedEx package no matter where it comes from. You should be able to call them in a few days once it ships. There’s no reason they should tell you no. Unless the tracking number has only just been created, but the shipment hasn’t actually gone out yet. You’re not really being very clear on why you haven’t been able to set up a hold. If the 1-800 number can’t find your info, just wait a couple days. You can also call your nearest FedEx sorting facility during business hours.

I wouldn’t think it would matter either but someone on another thread mentioned that the carriers have not allowed Fed Ex to let customers set up for pickup in the last without a delivery attempt unlike Apple.

I called Fed Ex and they found the tracking which shows the iPhone is currently in Memphis but said it didn’t allow them to set up a pickup for the 3rd without a delivery attempt. Fed Ex delivery manager online finds the tracking but won’t allow pickup either.

Doing some searches it seems setting up pickup for Apple products on launch day is hit and miss with Fed Ex unlike UPS. I still haven’t noticed that anyone has been able to arrange a pickup with Fed Ex yet.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I wouldn’t think it would matter either but someone on another thread mentioned that the carriers have not allowed Fed Ex to let customers set up for pickup in the last without a delivery attempt unlike Apple.

I called Fed Ex and they found the tracking which shows the iPhone is currently in Memphis but said it didn’t allow them to set up a pickup for the 3rd without a delivery attempt. Fed Ex delivery manager online finds the tracking but won’t allow pickup either.

Doing some searches it seems setting up pickup for Apple products on launch day is hit and miss with Fed Ex unlike UPS. I still haven’t noticed that anyone has been able to arrange a pickup with Fed Ex yet.
That sounds vaguely familiar from my past experiences. I believe I ended up calling my local sorting facility directly to place a hold on the packages. I have always picked up there, rather than an actual FedEx store (which are more numerous and closer). That may be the difference? Not sure. I just had to show my ID and sign that I picked it up.

macgeek01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
That sounds vaguely familiar from my past experiences. I believe I ended up calling my local sorting facility directly to place a hold on the packages. I have always picked up there, rather than an actual FedEx store (which are more numerous and closer). That may be the difference? Not sure. But I’ve done it twice so far, when I knew I wouldn’t be home for the shipment.

Thanks for the info! Fed Ex delivery manager may allow me to set up for pickup later this week. I will try calling the local facility otherwise.
[doublepost=1509341432][/doublepost]
That sounds vaguely familiar from my past experiences. I believe I ended up calling my local sorting facility directly to place a hold on the packages. I have always picked up there, rather than an actual FedEx store (which are more numerous and closer). That may be the difference? Not sure. I just had to show my ID and sign that I picked it up.

I don’t see where one can obtain Fed Ex Ship Center direct phone numbers?

Blaqdymun

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
New York

This is why people.
2ab8e9e096ed7e77330df5fe9dd01f1d.jpg

Reactions: Shark5150

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
I have called today to FedEx and asked if I could pick up on Friday. They were able to put in the request.
A short while later a lady from my local sorting facility called me and asked for some additional information. She said they will look for my package but it may still have to have a delivery attempt. She said I may be getting another call as Friday gets closer if I am able to pick up.

macgeek01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
I have called today to FedEx and asked if I could pick up on Friday. They were able to put in the request.
A short while later a lady from my local sorting facility called me and asked for some additional information. She said they will look for my package but it may still have to have a delivery attempt. She said I may be getting another call as Friday gets closer if I am able to pick up.

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting if anyone is able to pull it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.