Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has made the iPhone XR available SIM-free in the United States, allowing customers to purchase the phone unlocked and unassociated with any carrier. Customers can then choose to obtain a SIM from any carrier of their choice.

iphone_xr_sim_free.jpg

SIM-free iPhone models typically debut in the United States up to several months after the initial product launch as Apple prioritizes supplies for upgrade users already tied in with its carrier partners. The iPhone XS was a bit unusual in that SIM-free models were available from launch day, but that was not the case with the iPhone XR.

SIM-free iPhone XR models are compatible with AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and other carriers.

The iPhone XR starts at $749 for 64 GB models available in white, black, blue, yellow, coral, and (PRODUCT)RED. Higher-capacity models are available for $799 (128 GB) and $899 (256 GB).

Article Link: iPhone XR Now Available SIM-Free in the United States

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Have been waiting for this. At least in the past it used to be the "unlocked" versions were the ones that came with a SIM eject tool and (more recently) had Qualcomm radio's (although I guess all Xs's and Xr's are Intel only).

Looking forward to this - going from a standard size 8 and can't wait for the larger size. Now...which color...

I guess locked phones aren't illegal/are the norm in America? I don't get how that works, but it must be annoying.

Yes and no. The T-Mobile version at Apple stores has always been unlocked (since I started with the 4s), but you didn't get the SIM tool I always like. If Apple felt confident with capacity, they'd have the unlocked version ready at rollout (Xs and Maxi Xs had unlocked at rollout). But Xr had production issues (reports back in July) so we waited a month after rollout for this.

But, most folks here in the U.S. buy their phones through their providers under contract to spread the payments out (2 years normally) and they always lock them. Nearly all Android purchased in the U.S. (mostly Samsung still I believe) are locked to the provider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wide opeN

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Apple wasn't selling them locked to begin with -- just with SIM cards as a "convenience" from your selected carrier.
You already have a SIM card in your current phone... why would you need to buy a new phone with a new SIM card than have to transfer the number? Am I missing something?

The SpinDoctor

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I don’t understand. I walked into an Apple Store and asked for/received an unlocked red XR on launch day. There was an AT&T SIM card inside, but I just tossed it and popped in my T-Mobile one.

So this removes the .5 seconds it takes to discard the AT&T SIM?

This - picked up a phone from the Apple Store on launch day, threw out the AT&T SIM, and put in a SIM card from Three UK and it worked fine

Dario69

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2017
I don’t understand. I walked into an Apple Store and asked for/received an unlocked red XR on launch day. There was an AT&T SIM card inside, but I just tossed it and popped in my T-Mobile one.

So this removes the .5 seconds it takes to discard the AT&T SIM?

No, you bought an unlocked AT&T phone in full I assume. I have noticed so many different responses to how the unlocked/activation process works but I still do not trust AT&T (or any of the carriers for what matter) so I wanted to wait for the real deal. More of a peace of mind purchase if you want a carrier free phone.

And the article is wrong, the X carrier free came out a month after the X was initially released. My assumption is they wait until the stores have adequate inventory on the carrier models before carving out another sku. I was expecting a month so I am guessing there is no inventory issues - slow sales or heavily ramped up production.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
No, you bought an unlocked AT&T phone in full I assume. I have noticed so many different responses to how the unlocked/activation process works but I still do not trust AT&T (or any of the carriers for what matter) so I wanted to wait for the real deal. More of a peace of mind purchase if you want a carrier free phone.

And the article is wrong, the X carrier free came out a month after the X was initially released. My assumption is they wait until the stores have adequate inventory on the carrier models before carving out another sku. I was expecting a month so I am guessing there is no inventory issues - slow sales or heavily ramped up production.
It isn't an ATT phone. It's an unlocked APPLE phone with an ATT sim in it. There's no other affiliation to a carrier whatsoever as long as you buy the phone outright.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I guess locked phones aren't illegal/are the norm in America? I don't get how that works, but it must be annoying.

Depends on how you purchase it. All phones purchased from Apple, whether paid in full or on the Apple Upgrade Program, are unlocked. They may, however, include a SIM card for one of the major carriers; you can immediately remove this. The only difference now is they don't include the SIM card. The phones were and still are unlocked.

Now, if you purchase from your carrier, the phone is usually only unlocked when it's paid in full. So if you pay full price up front to a carrier, unlocked phone. If you use carrier financing, it's locked to that carrier until it's paid off.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008

Unless the article has been updated since original posting it said the xs was available sim free from release. The x last year wasn’t available sim free until after I caved and bought mine. I had to wait 40 days to unlock with att.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I can afford iPhones but I still don't see how 750 dollars for a phone is a budget price.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Locked phones are discounted by the carrier and you pay a higher amount per month for "plan" thus they have to be locked to ensure you finish your contract. It's just another way to finance. I think ATT, T-Moble and Verizon have most stopped these plans. I don't know anyone that has a lock phone. If you buy a phone using Apple's Upgrade program or non-financed then the phone is unlocked even if they come with a carrier's sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.