Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An icon depicting what appears to be a Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XS has been spotted in action on an iPhone running iOS 12.1.2, providing yet another clue that Apple may be planning to release such an accessory.

iphone-x-smart-battery-case-icon.jpg

The discovery was made by a Reddit user named Tom, who decided to significantly trim down Apple's Smart Battery Case for the iPhone 7 to fit his iPhone X. Not only did the case function, but it also revealed the iPhone X-esque Smart Battery Case icon with a slimmer design and a vertical camera cutout.

Apple discontinued the iPhone X in September, so the icon likely applies to the iPhone XS, which sports the same physical design.

iphone-x-battery-case.jpg
We don't recommend trying this

The icon appears to be the same one discovered in watchOS code by 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo, although this time in action on an iPhone. The new case appears to have a Lightning connector, but no "chin" extending below the iPhone.

Rambo also uncovered references to three model identifiers for the case in iOS code, including A2070, A2071 and A2171, suggesting that Apple could release the case in three different sizes for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. Another identifier supposedly hinted at a 2018 release, which did not happen.

Images of possible iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Smart Battery Cases were also uncovered in a Fall 2018 merchandising guide for Apple resellers.

xs-xs-max-smart-battery-cases.jpg

Apple has never released a Smart Battery Case for a plus-sized iPhone, however, and the larger iPhone XR and iPhone XS Max already deliver longer battery life, so it's possible the new case could be for the iPhone XS only if released.

Apple's first Smart Battery Case was for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, and was equipped with a 1,877 mAh battery that protruded out of the back of the case. Apple later released an iPhone 7 version with a similar design but larger 2,365 mAh battery. Both remain available to purchase for $99 in the United States.

By now, there has been plenty of evidence to suggest that Apple has at least considered releasing a Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XS. Whether the plan comes to fruition remains to be seen -- a release could certainly be soon.

Article Link: iPhone XS-Like Smart Battery Case Icon Spotted in Action on iOS 12.1.2

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Spidder

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
This will bring Apple back on track. Add a couple of watchbands and dongles and Apple will be a trillion dollar company again.

Reactions: TheRealDGD

Jssmith83

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Okay...

Lemme get this straight.

Apple makes the iPhones super thin, removing battery capacity...

...and then wants you to buy a case to get your battery capacity back.

?
Sounds a lot like Apple actually. Maybe if they had released the battery case, they wouldn't be having stock market depressions
[doublepost=1546534206][/doublepost]I'm just impressed that someone actually thought and had the courage to cut up an older battery case to try this. I wouldn't have been able to bring myself to try it.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Pretty crazy that this happened, what with a butchered case leading to likely evidence of an unreleased product. Did anyone at Apple think this might happen?

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
My Samsung S8 Active has a 4000 mah battery in it and its marginally thinner than the SE it replaced. Lasts me about 2 1/2 days on average. I don't understand why Apple can't solve the camera bulge issue by thickening the overall chassis allowing for a bigger battery.

Reactions: Peter K.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
One thing that nobody has been mentioning regarding this case is that it likely indicates that the 2019 iPhone XS will look the same as the 2018 XS. This means that there won’t be any major design changes. I doubt that they would release the case fitting the X and XS shortly before unveiling a very different 2019 iPhone X.

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
Okay...

Lemme get this straight.

?

Don't forget, it also adds the extra bulk back to the phone.
[doublepost=1546535152][/doublepost]Honestly, Who's using their phone so much that a full charge isn't lasting the day? Some people need to take a look at their lives.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Okay...

Lemme get this straight.

?

Put a large battery in such a small compact closure is quite risky. We don’t want to carry a bomb around.

JWiLL1988

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2017
Don't forget, it also adds the extra bulk back to the phone.
[doublepost=1546535152][/doublepost]Honestly, Who's using their phone so much that a full charge isn't lasting the day? Some people need to take a look at their lives.

I run my business off of my phone and iPad. My battery does not last a whole 12 hour day. Not even close, even after having it replaced

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Okay...

Lemme get this straight.

?

So people complain when they release non-modular non-upgradable computers, but when they release a module that lets you upgrade your phone, people complain?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
One thing that nobody has been mentioning regarding this case is that it likely indicates that the 2019 iPhone XS will look the same as the 2018 XS. This means that there won’t be any major design changes. I doubt that they would release the case fitting the X and XS shortly before unveiling a very different 2019 iPhone X.
I would suggest the opposite. Older phones are more likely to need/want a battery case since new phones have new batteries. Owners of new phones may want more battery too but the market would be more likely in the area of extending phone life by adding a battery case. I would replace the internal battery first but most people don't think about that.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

This is a $10 case with a 900% markup. Apple can sell this iPhone XS case for the next nine months.

It provides no indication about the 2019 iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.