Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ad0mas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Hi guys, this is my first time posting, but well, without any further fuss...
I have a 5th generation iPod Classic which I got from my friend as he dropped it and claimed hard drive no longer worked. Upon replacing the hard drive, it still wouldn't boot. Then I discovered there is a busted component on a motherboard, just right beside the battery connector. :(
After some googling I found out there is an identical component to the left side of the dock connector. So my question is- what is this component called and is there any way I could find a replacement online?

Here are few photos attached, hope it makes some sense.

Attachments

• IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,633
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,054

brsedu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Sacramento, CA
The parts you are referring to are soldered on to the mainboard and it may be just as costly to get replace those parts as it would to buy a replacement mainboard. A replacement mainboard usually runs $50-$60 on eBay and requires a somewhat careful approach and delicate hand to replace, but it is definitely easier than soldering parts. Just make sure you look at the part number on the rounded edge (just below the screen. It is either 820-1763-A or 820-1975-A).

Repair guides can be found at ifixit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+5th+Generation+(Video)+Logic+Board+Replacement/615

Or you can go with a repair service where you send in your iPod, pay them for the part and installation. Rapid Repair does this kind of work.

ad0mas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
Thanks, brsedu. I looked at iPods with faulty hard drives, they run at around £20-30 (that'd be around 40-50USD). I think I might just get one and swap the parts around, and keep the rest for further spares.

Although getting a repair service would be most reliable of all, I think a working iPod 5G would be cheaper than getting one fixed :D

Why I was asking for those parts, it's just my dad works in a place where they make computer boards so I could get it soldered no probs. But if they're costy as you say, it's not worth the effort I suppose :/

portlander

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Hi guys, this is my first time posting, but well, without any further fuss...
I have a 5th generation iPod Classic which I got from my friend as he dropped it and claimed hard drive no longer worked. Upon replacing the hard drive, it still wouldn't boot. Then I discovered there is a busted component on a motherboard, just right beside the battery connector. :(
After some googling I found out there is an identical component to the left side of the dock connector. So my question is- what is this component called and is there any way I could find a replacement online?

Here are few photos attached, hope it makes some sense.

I know this thread is old but I have removed this particular component and they are not very stable, they want to fall apart. But I do have lots of them. As well as other ipod video and classic component parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.