Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

200743-for_iPod_nano_4G_Silicon_Skin_Case_400.jpg

More evidence is appearing that supports the taller iPod Nano design with a curved screen. Case designs (seen above) at Alibaba (via Engadget) depict new cases for an iPod Nano 4G. The 4th generation iPod Nano has been rumored to have a taller design with widescreen to allow for video playback. The rumor was first reported in July, with additional claims a few days ago from Kevin Rose.

Meanwhile, iDealsChina has posted renderings of the 4th Generation iPod which also match the rumored description:

200750-7_400.jpg

iDealsChina was previously responsible for leaked iPhone 3G case moldings that turned out to be accurate.

Separately, and perhaps more interestingly, iDealsChina claims that the next generation iPod Touch will contain GPS. The iPod Touch is expected to see a revision in the next few weeks.

Article Link

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Hmmm...

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
I am sooo getting the new rev. iPod Touch if the GPS rumor turns out to be true. I'll probably get one anyway.

eyephone

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Well there it is....

I am almost shocked that they went back to a more "candy-bar" style.

After handling a fatty model, I thought it wasn't a bed idea.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
GPS on an iPod Touch would be almost pointless at it's current stage considering you need internet/edge/3g coming in to download the Google maps data.

This would have to be some sort of admittance that either Apple is going to let TomTom/Telenav come out with their own apps or Apple is going to release their own.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
GPS on iPod Touch, now that's cool! I already have it on my phone, but man that will sure help spur sales. Hopefully it will be much much cheaper though.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Well i'll be. mini uSB. Any word on when USB 3 might be out?
No normal dock connector though? And what's with the other holes for the bottom of the case?

Curved design it seems of the green case at least. Looks like a rendering though, which inclines more towards fake. The other picture doesn't seem to show anything. Can't see why Apple would move away from the dock connector.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Please oh please Touch GPS...

And make that pre-loaded maps that require no internet connection.

And add volume buttons, a camera, and external speakers as well. Touch owners want what the iPhone has, just without the phone and $2000 phone contract.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
If this design is genuine for the next-gen Nano then maybe there'll be a Nano dock to go with it. Like the Shuffle has?

And on a side note although GPS would be outstanding for the Touch, the price point and any storage changes/bumps are top of my agenda.

daveman235

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Buffalo, NY
GPS on an iPod Touch would be almost pointless at it's current stage considering you need internet/edge/3g coming in to download the Google maps data.

This would have to be some sort of admittance that either Apple is going to let TomTom/Telenav come out with their own apps or Apple is going to release their own.

Dude you don't need internet/edge/or 3g for GPS. Do you have a GPS in the car? Is it hooked up to the internet ? NO! They dont need to be.

This would be amazing! Im so glad for waiting till the next gen ipod touch. It makes sense that they would bring it to the ipod touch. Theres going to be so many location based apps on the store soon. Bringing it to the ipod makes it a bigger market and more money for apple in the long run..... ROCK!

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
OMG it's on the net therefore it must be true :cool:

With that said it seems fairly reasonable that a bump (or update) is coming soon and depending of the update, price, etc I might get one.

But what I am really hoping for is a new metal Macbook ;)

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area

Real GPS needs no internet or phone connection of any kind. The maps are preloaded onto the device (or can be downloaded, so they're always there), and need contact only with the GPS satellites, not anything else. Only more recently has there been this sort of "half-GPS" which consists of a combination of fewer GPS satellites and cell phone towers.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
And if you look at the image, it appears that there is a wheel (volume control?) sticking out - that would break off soo fast! No way.

wqhos to say its a new feature or a crappy mockup? dont be so fast there ..

why do all the proposed Nano cases look like theyre computer animated? what about an actual picture of the case like the iPhone 3G leak… then ill believe it :rolleyes:.

maybe because thats how all designs go through in the second stage? First is pen and paper then is CGI. They cant just magicly create something l;ike that. it takes design and thought.

I don't get the GPS on the touch... What's the point if you can't use it while ur out?

thats the point. You use it while your out :rolleyes:

These are fakes. There is no way Apple would make an iPod without the dock connector.

whos to say they arnt going towards a diferent connector this time around? You people NEED to stop living in the past and look towards the feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.