Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacksurf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
UK
Not sure if this has been thought of before, but perhaps the reason why the iPod Touch and iPhone don't have HDs and are flash only is because a HD might play havoc with the accelerometer? Just a thought.

Also, does anyone know if the iPod Touch has a normal headphone jack or is it recessed like the iPhone?

TIA

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i was under the impression the flash memory helped the interface be as speedy as possible. a hdd-based touchpod/iphone could make things considerably slower, no?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
i was under the impression the flash memory helped the interface be as speedy as possible. a hdd-based touchpod/iphone could make things considerably slower, no?

Agreed. They might need to add 4-8GB ram on top of an 80/160GB HDD next year to make it touch.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Isn't a hard drive more prone to failure if it's moved around a lot? That would mean that with every drop there is a huge chance that the hard drive won't make it. Flash memory on the other hand is smaller with no moving parts at all making it more durable. Just an assumption however. I may be wrong and here may be more durable hard drives out there. I'm just thinking of a hard drive vs a flash drive as a reference for comparison.

As for the headphone question the pictures show that it should be a standard 3.5mm jack: http://images.appleinsider.com/apple-ipod-event-07-6.jpg

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
It's chips required to run iPod Touch interface. It is running Leopard (600Mb) on it and it has accelerometer, wi-fi chipset and athena too. All that occupies space.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the iPod touch OS isn't 600 megs nor is it Leopard. Might as well just call it OSX mobile or something. (Kitten?) :D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Personally, I think the 2 main reasons that the iPodtouch and iPhone don't have HDDs is ...

1. Battery life. With the addition of wi-fi, cell phone radios, and the big color screen, battery life would be ridiculous if they had HDDs. Who would want a cell phone/device that needs to be recharged twice a day.

2. Size. Adding a HDD would make the sucker at least twice as thick. While this may not be a deal killer for most, Apple puts a lot of emphasis on thinness.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.