Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
I work for The National Photographic Society and my day to day job has mostly web work and emails with occasional Photoshop/Lightroom stuff and Filemaker 18 work.

I have an Apple Cinema Display 30" which I love and was contemplating buying a Mac Pro (the older one, not the new one that's coming out)

My question is would it be as stupid idea and I'll be frustrated sooner rather than later or is this a machine I could be using for years to come still?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Unless you're getting a phenomenal deal, spend the money on a MacMini instead. It will have more longevity and is more current than the 2013 machine, so should have OS support well beyond Catalina. (10.15 might be the last OS for MP6,1 but we'll know more next year.)

Biggest issue I have is the failing GPUs in the MP6,1. It's a major issue that's been happening more frequently this past year. It's nearly impossible to find verified working replacements via 3rd party markets.

Reactions: ssgbryan

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I work for The National Photographic Society and my day to day job has mostly web work and emails with occasional Photoshop/Lightroom stuff and Filemaker 18 work.

I have an Apple Cinema Display 30" which I love and was contemplating buying a Mac Pro (the older one, not the new one that's coming out)

My question is would it be as stupid idea and I'll be frustrated sooner rather than later or is this a machine I could be using for years to come still?
<sarcasm>Was it ever relevant?</sarcasm>

The trashcan will be OK for many years, if it more than meets your needs today. It should be supported for at least five more years if Apple follows its usual protocols. (Although the GPU failues should be a concern.)

That 30" display, however, is a fluorescent dinosaur. Low resolution (low DPI), low contrast, low brightness, hot running. Discontinued in 2010. DVI input. Compare its specs (https://everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_30.html) with any current displays.

Treat yourself to a 27" 4K display, or one of the affordable 32" curved displays.

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
Unless you're getting a phenomenal deal, spend the money on a MacMini instead. It will have more longevity and is more current than the 2013 machine, so should have OS support well beyond Catalina. (10.15 might be the last OS for MP6,1 but we'll know more next year.)

Biggest issue I have is the failing GPUs in the MP6,1. It's a major issue that's been happening more frequently this past year. It's nearly impossible to find verified working replacements via 3rd party markets.

Thanks, I’ll take a closer look at the mini then.
[doublepost=1561577913][/doublepost]
<sarcasm>Was it ever relevant?</sarcasm>

The trashcan will be OK for many years, if it more than meets your needs today. It should be supported for at least five more years if Apple follows its usual protocols. (Although the GPU failues should be a concern.)

That 30" display, however, is a fluorescent dinosaur. Low resolution (low DPI), low contrast, low brightness, hot running. Discontinued in 2010. DVI input. Compare its specs (https://everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_30.html) with any current displays.

Treat yourself to a 27" 4K display, or one of the affordable 32" curved displays.

I know it’s not current but I love the no glare screen and the size of it plus it works. I’m not going to buy another screen whilst this one is doing the job just fine. I like the screen.
When it finally dies I’ll probably go back to an iMac as I miss my old 27 I sold.

Reactions: bjar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.