Is there much difference between the 7/7+ camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleincognito, Oct 4, 2016.

1. appleincognito macrumors member

I'd like to know if there is much of a difference in the quality of shots between the two cameras. I'm trying to decide which one to buy.

I'm not concerned about the optical zoom feature, just the quality of normal photos taken. Is it better than the 7? Or just the same except for when you zoom? Thanks.

2. AppleMichael macrumors member

The primary camera is the same for both phones.

At the moment the only benefit is the zoom. I'm guessing Apple will add more features in software over time though like when iOS 10.1 is released the Plus will get portrait mode.

3. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

Oh I was under the impression that even when taking photos without any zoom, that it used a combination of data from both lens' to produce a better photo? Perhaps I'm wrong.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

And now the iPhone 7 has Optical Image Stabilazation, which also is the same in terms as the 7 Plus.

6. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

A few of these commenters don't know what they are talking about. Your impression was correct. The plus always fires off both cameras when you take a photo in the built in photos app. (Not necessarily true in third party apps, developers decision). Anyways, it takes both photos and the image processor puts the two photos together intelligently taking data from both cameras to put together the best picture possible. Now does it make a difference? It really depends on the situation, I find that it does make a noticeable difference. When compared to my girlfriends 7, I find that sometimes the photos are exactly the same, and other times the light balance seems to be better in my plus.

In conclusion, I'd suggest if you care enough to ask this question, you go with the plus. A lot of times it won't make a difference, but the 1 out of 10 times it does, you will be pleased. Also you'd be surprised how useful the zoom is. (example: not shoving my phone in my baby niece's face to get a close up). Ultimately up to you, but the flat out answer of it not making a difference is uniformed. It is using both cameras, it just depends on the situtation if that changes the result.

7. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I had both the iPhone 7 and 7 plus for a few days and can say that there is absolutely no difference between the primary camera of the 7 plus and that of the 7. If the extra camera of the 7 plus doesn't make a difference to you, including upcoming Portrait mode, then just get the 7.

If the 7 Plus is combining information from both cameras when taking a normal shot, I wasn't able to tell.