Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daedelgt

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
iTunes for Windows Soon?

Apple needs this bad. I hope it comes out as a stable product as it seems to have been rushed (not in a bad way per say) out of the door.

edit: Uber first post :p

rhunter007

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2003
I wonder if Apple got scared (as other comments on the previous rumor suggested) with the prospect of everyone jumping on the ITMS bandwagon. Maybe they shifted iTunes for Windows into high gear only as a result of that?

ig-88

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2003
I hope it's true. I still think Apple shoulda launched both at the same time.

It would be cool if apple just incorporated I tunes into QuickTime for windows or vice versa... kinda like M$ Media Player.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
good, it better come soon because they have a bunch of companies on their tail to beat them to it. Any programmers out there care to comment on how easy or hard the process of getting iTunes to windows?

iJon

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
this would be great (obviously)

However, it must be said, the New York Times has a history of factual errors in technology stories. I'm at a loss thinking of any right now, because I don't keep papers around, but I can remember laughing at more than one point in the past while reading tech. stuff in that rag.

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I do want to believe this, and suspect such a service has been in the pipeline longer than we know.

SJ's 'before the end of the year' statement may have been a smokescreen to ease the urgency of competitors. But in any case sooner is far, far better than later.

Look!, we have 970, panther and now a service for the lost souls of computing.

When will this creative carousel stop!?

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
So, the 'at the end of the year' quote from Jobs was provided to give their competition the feeling that they could go a little slower in getting their own version up to speed?

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
good news; a lot of horses in the starting gate, though. but they don't necessarily need to be 1st out of the gate. they just need a good translation to the win platform, and hold with what made the system work on our side.

rogueimage

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Boulder, Colorado
Hope that's not a typo...

Please let this be accurate! Apple needs to get this out before the other major players enter the market.

I just hope that "end of the month" isn't a typo. They could have meant "end of the year," simply quoting Steve at the keynote.

tgrundke

macrumors member
I certainly hope this is true. When Steve said "by the end of the year," my heart sank. I thought, "Great, there goes another great Apple innovation that will undoubtedly be undercut by Microsoft or other competitiors before Apple gains critical mass."

I've always thought that in order for Apple to really command this market they'd need to get in by the end of August at the latest.

If this is true, it's good news. HOW it can be true is a different story.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
How did Apple throw this together so fast? I thought they just posted for the iTMS developer position!

tliptak

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
I don't think releasing them at the same time would have a good idea. One of my friends liked it so much he started to play with it. Then he started trying all the apple apps. Now hes getting a powerbook, but on the other hand I think a windows version is a good idea. A really really good idea if Microsoft is also jumping into this revolution! Kick some micro$ucks butt! If they put it into windows media player it will really really byte because wmp also stink a lot. A friends has 18 hours of music without any playlists or a search function. If apple released itunes for windows even without the music store I would beat all other players. Well thats just my 2 cents

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I can't wait for iTunes for Windows... so long as it doesn't kill CPU usage, I'd probably find it much more convenient than Winamp or Windows Media Player combined.

Plus, it would offer a nice synergy between my PowerBook and my desktop. :)

Let's just hope that the app is smart enough to look for a "My Music" folder on Windows XP machines. A lot of people have concentrated their music in a particular location, and it wouldn't do to have to copy everything over manually.

JohnHummel

macrumors member
May 22, 2003
Doesn't surprise me

Considering that Jobs & Co must have realized how quickly the other companies just jump on this should it proove a success (and I'm sure they knew it would be), they probably had everything in place to do it, just had to work on some final bits.

If it's correct then Apple could be about to completly rule the online music roost. It will be interesting to see how their stock does once the other 95% of the US computer market (sorry, everybody else - I wish they'd get the music store in you're area too :( ).

If they make around $1 million a month profit (after the industry cut) with just US Mac users, they could probably bring in $10 - $30 million a month easy with Windows users out there.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
It could be ready

I know that people will say this isn't likely or even possible because it hasn't been that long since Apple posted the position for working on iTunes for Windows. I've made this point before: that just isn't necessarily true.

The problem is that this assumes that the program couldn't begin until someone was hired for the job. While it may very well be true that the project was very far along and only needed someone to finish things up. Also, it could have been a ruse on Apple's part to make everyone think that they were further behind than they really are. Maybe M$ and others would take a little longer to get their stores ready. Then SURPRISE Apple is ready to go for Windows.

I'm not saying that it's defnitely going to be ready, but I think people have to consider other things that might be going on here.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by rhunter007
I wonder if Apple got scared (as other comments on the previous rumor suggested) with the prospect of everyone jumping on the ITMS bandwagon. Maybe they shifted iTunes for Windows into high gear only as a result of that?

That would be smart and is probable. Good to see Apple conducting "business."

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
Wow

That'd be really nice..

I know a couple die-hard PC users who would LOVE iTunes for the PC..

Of course...I'd rather they dump their Windows machines and get Mac's...

Maybe iTunes for the PC will help??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.