Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today gave the iTunes Movies storefront a small visual overhaul to coincide with the digital home release of The LEGO Batman Movie, which will debut on DVD and Blu-Ray on June 13.

With the update, the iTunes Movies carousel has a collection of films on sale for a limited time, and with a LEGO-themed visual twist. These include previous DC universe movies like Batman Begins (HD $4.99), The Dark Knight (HD $7.99), The Dark Knight Rises (HD $7.99), Man of Steel (HD $7.99), and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (HD $9.99), most of which get shout-outs within The LEGO Batman Movie.

lego-itunes-3.jpg

The theme and sale extends to the early Batman movies, as well, including Tim Burton's original Batman (HD $7.99) and Batman Returns (HD $7.99), and Joel Schumacher's Batman Forever (HD $7.99) and Batman & Robin (HD $7.99).

itunes-lego-batman-2.jpg

The LEGO theme goes beyond the iTunes Movies carousel, and even includes LEGO figures and art on some of the films' main iTunes pages, including for Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman. Those interested in the actual The LEGO Batman Movie can purchase the film in HD for $19.99, or opt for a two-movie bundle that includes the original The LEGO Movie for $24.99.

itunes-lego-batman-1.jpg

There are a handful of non-superhero movies with sale prices and a LEGO makeover on iTunes today as well, including The Wizard of Oz (HD $7.99), Gremlins (HD $7.99), The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (HD $7.99), The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (HD $7.99), and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (HD $9.99). As with the superhero movies, all of these films have characters that make cameos of some kind within The LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie.

(Thanks, DJ Horton!)

Article Link: iTunes Launches Sale and LEGO-Themed Makeover for Digital Release of 'The LEGO Batman Movie'

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
See, now this is the kind of promotional marketing that is enjoyable.
I wish the Lego Batman movie itself had a promotional price! I have a hard time paying $19.99 for digital copies of movies when I can probably find the Blu-Ray for the same price, have that superior quality disc, and still get the digital copy too. And many of Apple's movies do end up on sale eventually.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
They had a similar theme sale for Deadpool. it was neat.

and too bad LEGO Batman is a WB film, and thus no iTunes digital copy with bluray/ :(

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
and too bad LEGO Batman is a WB film, and thus no iTunes digital copy with bluray
Admittedly I don't buy very many Blu-rays. But Lego Batman Blu-Ray does come with digital copy. What kind of copy does that mean then, if it's not an iTunes copy? Just an MP4 file or something?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I wish the Lego Batman movie itself had a promotional price! I have a hard time paying $19.99 for digital copies of movies when I can probably find the Blu-Ray for the same price, have that superior quality disc, and still get the digital copy too. And many of Apple's movies do end up on sale eventually.
Bestbuy has a nice steel book version for $24.99 :)
[doublepost=1495221824][/doublepost]
They had a similar theme sale for Deadpool. it was neat.

and too bad LEGO Batman is a WB film, and thus no iTunes digital copy with bluray/ :(
It doesn't? It says digital copy. When it doesn't it'll say digital copy ultraviolet.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
It doesn't? It says digital copy. When it doesn't it'll say digital copy ultraviolet.

WB doesn't do, or at least hasn't for the last several years, iTunes digital copies... There is another studio that doesn't offer iTunes digital copies as well... Sony maybe?

Reactions: BJMRamage

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Admittedly I don't buy very many Blu-rays. But Lego Batman Blu-Ray does come with digital copy. What kind of copy does that mean then, if it's not an iTunes copy? Just an MP4 file or something?

yes, the WB and Sony titles have switched to Ultraviolet. They were big leaders in the UV consortium and they push that over iTunes. They used to display Ultraviolet but maybe the switch to just using "DigitalHD" or "Digital Copy" it helps them consider UV as the universal digital copy platform.

UV is a digital locker, able to be accessed with various partners...flixster, VUDU, maybe others.
iTunes is locked to iTunes only.
the one exception is Disney which has Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) which unlocks a purchased Disney movie from one partner to all other connected partners. So, you can buy or redeem a Disney movie on iTunes and watch it on YouTube or VUDU or Amazon or Microsoft if you have them connected to DMA.

DMA is great when you have VUDU credits, GP credits, or see sales for Disney digital movies at Amazon or Vudu that are not on sale at iTunes and you can buy there and watch via iTunes/AppleTV.

mike7311

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
Lancaster, CA
I was all itunes until I used Vudu. I opt for Vudu now because I can access my movies on more devices than iTunes. The interface is slicker and easier to use.

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
yes, the WB and Sony titles have switched to Ultraviolet. They were big leaders in the UV consortium and they push that over iTunes. They used to display Ultraviolet but maybe the switch to just using "DigitalHD" or "Digital Copy" it helps them consider UV as the universal digital copy platform.

UV is a digital locker, able to be accessed with various partners...flixster, VUDU, maybe others.
iTunes is locked to iTunes only.
the one exception is Disney which has Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) which unlocks a purchased Disney movie from one partner to all other connected partners. So, you can buy or redeem a Disney movie on iTunes and watch it on YouTube or VUDU or Amazon or Microsoft if you have them connected to DMA.

DMA is great when you have VUDU credits, GP credits, or see sales for Disney digital movies at Amazon or Vudu that are not on sale at iTunes and you can buy there and watch via iTunes/AppleTV.

I'll add to those studios Lionsgate in some part, because lately some of their Blu-rays don't come with a digital copy available to redeem on iTunes.

Mouse man

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
AZ

I go online to sites that only sell digital copies. Logan and The Wall for 14.00 total...no thanks apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.