Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkinnyMoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
iPhone 12 backed up to iCloud, iOS 17. iPhone & iCloud both using the same AppleID, the account is accessible and OK. How to selectively restore all iMessages from iCloud Backup? I do not want to restore the entire phone, only the iMessages & SMS messages, thank you.

SkinnyMoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
All or nothing. There is no partial restore.
That is wrong, there is at least a partial restore you could do with FoneLab, for example. It is possible, I am asking what the best way to do it is, and how the pros successfully did it.

• Haha
Reactions: winxmac

SkinnyMoose

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
If you have Messages in iCloud and set up the phone as new your messages and SMS will restore.

At least that has been my experience when setting new devices.
Is there someone here who can recommend an official technique or high quality 3rd party software that they have personally used to do this task?

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That is wrong, there is at least a partial restore you could do with FoneLab, for example. It is possible, I am asking what the best way to do it is, and how the pros successfully did it.

Using Apple’s normal process, restoring from iCloud backup doesn’t allow partial restore. It’s all or nothing.

If you still have access to the iPhone 12, enabling Messages in iCloud will sync messages/SMS to iCloud and allow you to restore your messages/SMS when you do “Setup as new” as @oasantos1 has mentioned.

You’re talking about 3rd party software which likely very few (if any) users in this forum have heard about. If you need help with FoneLab or other 3rd party software, you’re better off asking their developers if what you want is possible and how to do it. As for Apple’s official methods, basically iCloud sync is the only option.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
If you backed up using iCloud, then you restore using iCloud... Everything backed up to iCloud will be restored from iCloud...

If you backed up to a computer using software other than iTunes/Finder, then you may be able to do what you want...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
1. Back up the current phone configuration (to a computer)
2. Erase the phone
3. Restore icloud
4. Enable Messages in iCloud
5. Allow messages to sync
6. Erase the phone
7. Restore the backup from step 1
8. Enable Messages in iCloud, allow Merge
9. Allow messages to sync

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.