Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel offers another bit of hope in our ongoing quest for ultra-high resolution retina displays. The graphics capabilities of their upcoming Ivy Bridge processors will provide support for 4K (4096x4096 pixel) displays.

VR-Zone notes that Intel revealed last week that they will be able to support 4K resolutions and process video at that resolution:
Not only can the MFX engine display up to 4096 x 4096 pixels on a single monitor, but it can also handle video processing for 4K QuadHD video as well. Remember when, two years ago, Jen Hsun Huang at Nvidia for the first time encouraged 4K resolution - at that time 3840x2400 or as he called it XHD2, for ultra realistic gaming too, to use the extra pixels to justify the high end card need? Now, what a fate, Intel is making it real on the - integrated graphics platform, of all. Now, can we have back those 16:10 3840x2400 or, better, 4096x2560 monitors?
Ivy Bridge is Intel's next generation processor that also integrates a much improved graphics processing unit (GPU). Generally, high end computers aren't constrained by the capabilities of the integrated graphics processor. MacBook Pros and iMacs tend to integrate more powerful 3rd party GPUs. Slimmer models, however, such as the MacBook Air and Mac mini are dependent on the integrated graphics that Intel provides. So the 2012-era MacBook Airs should be able to support these ultra high resolutions that we've been dreaming about.

OS X Lion has built in support for such displays and it seems Microsoft is also preparing for them.

Article Link: Ivy Bridge to Support Ultra High Resolution 4096x4096 Screens

base2

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
I think the title is supposed to read "...4096x2304 Screens"

I can't wait for these.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Wondering how this will impact web development. 72 dpi images are standard - sounds like I'll have to code for 150 or 300 dpi images. Yikes on file size.

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

It's already for certain. I was told around April that one of the biggest selling points in the MBP's redesign will be its screens.

root42

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
NVIDIA already has 4K video cards

NVIDIA is shipping the Quadro 6000 cards, which do support 4K video material editing and playback:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_PremiereproCS5.html

I've also seen their Quadro cards drive 4000 x something resolution Linux and Windows desktops on 4k projectors some years ago. Of course, Intel bringing this to the non-pro market will be something impressive by itself.

Mark Octavian

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
The way today's operating systems designed, it's hard to see isht even on 2560x resolutions (27 inch display), let alone 4k...

grouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
New York
existing mac minis & macbook pros support 30" monitors (2560x1600) via the displayport --> dual link adapter, right?

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Wondering how this will impact web development. 72 dpi images are standard - sounds like I'll have to code for 150 or 300 dpi images. Yikes on file size.

I don't think you will have to supply high resolution images. The HiDPI stuff in Lion appears to be very similar to the iPhone Retina display. Existing low resolution images will be automatically pixel-doubled and therefore will look no worse than the same image on a low-res display. Using high resolution images will be an option not a requirement.

Mark Octavian

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011

You confuse DPI with PPI. Displays measure picture resolutions by PPI, not DPI.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I don't think you will have to supply high resolution images. The HiDPI stuff in Lion appears to be very similar to the iPhone Retina display. Existing low resolution images will be automatically pixel-doubled and therefore will look no worse than the same image on a low-res display. Using high resolution images will be an option not a requirement.

That's what I was thinking; although the pixel doubling isn't ideal. I'm already envisioning "This website is HD ready" "HD-optimized website" happening in the future.

----------

You confuse DPI with PPI. Displays measure picture resolutions by PPI, not DPI.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
Film and video production has been moving this way for a few years now. The RED ONE was the first semi affordable production camera to shoot 4k and RED now has a 5k camera. Sony, JVC and Canon all have or will soon have 4k cameras. This should really help the post-production availability and affordability aspects of production.

This is awesome!

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Sounds nice, but not real sure of the benefits yet until I see it in person. I sit far enough away from my 27" screen that I'm not sure it will make too much a difference. Sort of like my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 3G. When held close I can really see a difference, but if I hold them more than say 18" away the screen looks the same to me.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I think the title is supposed to read "...4096x2304 Screens"

I can't wait for these.
Quoted for truth.

And I'd like to see the GPU Apple will use for these. Cause I don't fancy paying 1k just for the screen power bill.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I hope this is one bit of news that will make Apple moving into bringing at some
point a larger than 30"ACD to the market. That would be very nice. With a matte option please! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.