Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jam City's highly anticipated game in the Harry Potter universe, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, saw a worldwide launch this morning on iOS and Android devices.

In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, players are able to take on the role of a student at Hogwarts, going to classes, learning spells, building friendships, and making decisions in an "encounter system" that influences each player's personal story in Hogwarts castle.

harry-potter-hogwarts-mystery-800x377.jpg

Jam City co-founder and CEO Chris DeWolf said in early April that the company's goal with the game is to "make players really feel for the first time like they're attending Hogwarts."

The game takes place in the 1980s before Harry Potter attended Hogwarts, so players won't run into iconic characters like Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and others, but well-known professors and minor characters will be present to provide an engaging Hogwarts experience.

Jam City's new game uses six voice actors that starred in the Harry Potter movies, including Dame Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall), Michael Gambon (Professor Dumbledore), Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick), Sally Mortemore (Madam Irma Pince), Gemma Jones (Madam Pomfrey), and Zoe Wanamaker (Madam Hooch).

harry-potter-hogwarts-mystery-cast.jpg

It's important to note that Harry Potter: A Hogwarts Mystery is not the promised Niantic augmented reality game that's also set in the Harry Potter universe. That app, titled Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, is said to take cues from Pokémon Go, allowing players to explore real-world neighborhoods to discover, fight, and capture the fantastic beasts of the Harry Potter series.

Harry Potter: Wizards Unite does not have a release date as of yet.

Harry Potter: A Hogwarts Mystery can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Jam City's 'Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery' iOS Game Now Available Worldwide

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Ooooh, I forgot about this. Been looking forward to it.

Anyone try it yet? Will my expectations be exceeded or should I lower them quickly before download this evening?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I haven’t played this but something tells me it’s gonna be pay to win.
Free to download, lists a wide variety of IAP including a "Vault of Gems" for $149.99, and one of the featured reviews says, "You want to do something but you have to wait ages to get more energy, on top of that there isn’t enough ways to earn it unless you buy it." Sounds like you're right.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Free to download, lists a wide variety of IAP including a "Vault of Gems" for $149.99, and one of the featured reviews says, "You want to do something but you have to wait ages to get more energy, on top of that there isn’t enough ways to earn it unless you buy it." Sounds like you're right.
Energy, gems, and cool downs, all designed around pushing IAPs. Disappointing but expected. Pass.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Energy, gems, and cool downs, all designed around pushing IAPs. Disappointing but expected. Pass.

Disney's Magic Kingdoms has it down really well. They push, yes, but the play can be managed without buying. I have been on it since over a year and it is because it is one of the lesser annoying IAP games out there.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Disney's Magic Kingdoms has it down really well. They push, yes, but the play can be managed without buying. I have been on it since over a year and it is because it is one of the lesser annoying IAP games out there.
I’ll have to check it out. I honestly *want* some mobile games to play, but so many feel like that the gameplay comes secondary to the microtransaction systems.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why is the gem business model still a thing? Is it because this is the Harry Potter IP, and they feel like they can wager on getting a bunch of hardcore fans to pay anyways because of the brand?

Reactions: vidjahgamz

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Another pay-to-win game. Pass. *Sigh*

I was actually really looking forward to this but once again we're let down.
Same. Downloaded it, then checked the IAP list and saw not one but TWO types of consumables - promptly deleted. Very disappointing, but I'm sure they'll make a ton of money.

Reactions: vidjahgamz

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Have you tried
I’ll have to check it out. I honestly *want* some mobile games to play, but so many feel like that the gameplay comes secondary to the microtransaction systems.
Have you tried PUBG mobile? It's one of the few mobile games that I've really enjoyed and is the only mobile shooter that isn't frustrating on an iPhone. Fortnite was okay but had too many bugs.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Worldwide release on Wednesday (my Thursday), you sure? It was available in Australia on Sunday.

freezelighter

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Thun, Switzerland
Everything you say sounds so bad.

Stop whining and give it a chance at least!

Its a wonderful game with interesting story, beautiful graphics, choices and consequences etc.

Try to see some good things, you hopeless criticising maniacs!

paulryp

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Personally i think games aimed at kids pushing Micro transactions is criminal. We need government legislation to curb this BS.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Tried it. Very interesting story, but you can't progress very far before running out of energy. It takes less than a minute to deplete your energy, but over an hour to get it full again. You can wait 3 minutes to do one action (which is nothing in each mini-quest), or pay ungodly amounts of money to get more energy right away. To me, the gameplay is lost when you have to wait so long to do anything.

Plus, not only do you have to wait a long time to finish a quest, each new chapter/quest only unlocks after at least an hour, if not several, after you finish the previous one. You can go to the next chapter by doing a mini-transaction, but either way, it's not fun. This game is way too jerky and "hurry up and wait" to be really entertaining. I'd be more than happy to pay a larger amount for smooth, continuous play.

Reactions: CarlJ

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
Worldwide release on Wednesday (my Thursday), you sure? It was available in Australia on Sunday.

Worldwide release usually means global access is now available where as previously it may have been soft launched in smaller markets for testing purposes.

Reactions: CarlJ

paulryp

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
So frustrating that the first REAL harry potter game is an Insidious cash grab. My kids want an engaging Harry Potter expeirence not the licence holders robbing them of their pocket money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.