Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I got an XS yesterday and came from a 6s. What don’t the speakers on this new XS sound any better? Playing music, videos, etc I was expecting to see a big improvement. Not so. Is something wrong with my phone? It also barely any louder than the 6s!!!!

What's going on. I expected to be blown away... One speaker is at the bottom left on the XS and the other comes from the earpiece.

Also, is there a test like this for all newer models???

https://www.cultofmac.com/310378/speaker-test-ranks-every-iphone-model-order-loudness/

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Maybe you have a defective unit because the speaker difference between the Xs and the 6s is very noticeable.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
One speaker is at the bottom left on the XS and the other comes from the earpiece.

If you’re looking at the screen, the speaker is on the bottom right, along with sound coming out of the earpiece. Left is a microphone.

tridot

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2016
The difference from 6 to 7 was huge, and the X/Xs is supposed to be a big improvement on that.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Thanks everyone!

1) Ok, I rebooted and the sound is better... Much louder than the 6s, like it should be. I was expecting maybe it would go louder and I'd be completely blown away, coming from a 2014 Iphone 6s, but it DOES sound much better. Just thought it might go louder....

2) The earpiece speaker when you're making a phone call and the phone is on your ear, not on speakerphone... It seems sound quality isn't quite as crips as before. Like there's a lot less treble, slighty mono sounding (the other persons voice). I called numerous people. I know the earpiece speaker is upgraded over the 6s and is now doing many other functions, but I can tell. It's almost like there's more bass but the treble was taken away some.

Anyone else notice this? I did also see the the cutout rectangle for the earpiece on the XS is much smaller than the 6s actually too.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The difference from 6 to 7 was huge, and the X/Xs is supposed to be a big improvement on that.

My favorite feature of the iPhone 7 Plus was the stereo speakers, and then Apple actually amplified that by 25% for the iPhone 8, and the XS Max, sounds just as good, and even seems somewhat more distinct with the bass.

tridot

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2016
My favorite feature of the iPhone 7 Plus was the stereo speakers, and then Apple actually amplified that by 25% for the iPhone 8, and the XS Max, sounds just as good, and even seems somewhat more distinct with the bass.
Definitely. I never used to use speaker phone before the 7. Now I don't mind it at all.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Playing music, videos, etc. I was expecting to see a big improvement. Not so. Is something wrong with my phone?
Maybe with your ears. You should at least notice the difference between mono and stereo speakers. And if your top speaker was defective, you couldn’t even make a call.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I noticed my XS seemed quieter lately. The earpiece speaker wasn’t emitting sound. Rebooted the phone and it’s working again.

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Thanks everyone!

1) Ok, I rebooted and the sound is better... Much louder than the 6s, like it should be. I was expecting maybe it would go louder and I'd be completely blown away, coming from a 2014 Iphone 6s, but it DOES sound much better. Just thought it might go louder....

2) The earpiece speaker when you're making a phone call and the phone is on your ear, not on speakerphone... It seems sound quality isn't quite as crips as before. Like there's a lot less treble, slighty mono sounding (the other persons voice). I called numerous people. I know the earpiece speaker is upgraded over the 6s and is now doing many other functions, but I can tell. It's almost like there's more bass but the treble was taken away some.

Anyone else notice this? I did also see the the cutout rectangle for the earpiece on the XS is much smaller than the 6s actually too.

We’d have to know what cellular network you are on. It sounds like maybe you are on CDMA for voice. VoLTE sounds great with Verizon here. It also depends on the person you are calling to a degree too.

RebelOU812

Suspended
Nov 20, 2018
The South
Of course.....the sound quality is 75% worse for peak audio performance. A10 and up devices are nothing but paperweights...the audio quality is trash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.