Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I'm hanging onto the new 10.5 and I will continue using the 12.9 at my job, which requires annotating PDFs outdoors while utilizing split screen. The 80/20 view on the 10.5 does not leave me with enough comfortable writing real estate for the forms I use, while the 12.9 does.

The 10.5 looks like it will be taking over daily use for media/news consumption, personal emailing (using the Apple Pencil this morning to sign new auto insurance forms) - I pretty much live out of hotel rooms and this thing will replace a TV for me in many cases. I don't have any plans to get rid of my Mini 4 but I can easily see it sliding solely into "gym bag for cardio machines" duty pretty quickly.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
512 GB of Storage was a huge leap for Apple. So much for worrying if you have enough room for applications and media. Steep price point for the extra storage, but worth it for those who require the additional space.

To right Oh Yes.
To finally be able to have a ton of movies downloaded from Amazon for when on vacation in a non wifi world is one but the fact I can have so much other material onboard without a thought or uncertainty is enough for me.
I'm still pinching myself that Apple did the right thing in opening up this platform to 512GB.

Reactions: 44267547

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I purchased both the 12.9 and 10.5 in 512gb configurations to see which one I wanted to replace my original 12.9. I am probably going to be keeping them both. I use the 12.9 to create all of my artwork and will now use the 10.5 to watch the many art tutorials I have as well as everyday uses. I traveled with my original 12.9 so that doesn't bother me with the new one. Even though I will load them both with the same apps, pictures etc. they will serve different purposes.

This was what I did with my 12.9" and my mini. Until my Mini went to the kids and only God knows what happened to it.

The only downside was that the Mini wasn't an iPad Pro, so no pencil support and it was a bit sluggish.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
OP: go for it. Congrats that you were able to recoup costs on your first gen 12.9" iPPs. Enjoy.

And for those of you who live the multiple iPad lifestyle, I raise my Pencil in your direction.

When it comes to Apple, I am looking at the price for several years of use so I'm no longer cranky about it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I couldn't decide what I wanted. Truthfully, the iPad serves so many purposes and I will be purchasing the 10.5 and 12.9 iPad. Both will have different needs how I will use them and the 12.9 will be more stationary. Either way, both iPads will see plenty of use.

How about holding unto one that is the preference and waiting on a price drop for the other though? If both will give plenty of use from the get go I guess I can understand keeping both from the get go.

Reactions: 44267547
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.